Couch to 5K

Options
2»

Replies

• austrya
    austrya Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Actually, the C210K program might help you ease into the C25K. The first couple weeks of C210K have a lot more walking than running. The workouts are a little longer (45 minutes to an hour) but I felt they were easier to build up endurance than the C25K. You start off by walking 5 minutes, running for 30 seconds, walking for 4 minutes 30 seconds (repeat that like 6-7 times), then walk 5 minutes. If you have an ipod or iphone, there's an app you can download and it will tell you when to walk and run.

I started as a couch potato and after 6 weeks of C210K, I was able to run a 5K without walking.
  • iamfred71
    iamfred71 Posts: 3
    Options
    Don't sweat it. You don't need to run to lose wait. Because I was going to be working on a treadmill and didn't want to wreck it with my wait, I set a weight at which i would start my C25K program. I lost 60 lbs before I would do any running because I feel it was best for me and for my treadmill. Walking at a brisk pace is a great way to lose weight. Try this, expanding your walks, walking faster, and when this is easy for you, then start running a bit. Don't worry about running a certain speed, get the times in and when you are done with the program you can worry about getting faster. If you are like me, running was not a regular part of life. It will take time. As you lose weight it will become easier. Don't rush it though, or you can hurt yourself and that will be a detriment to everything you've worked for. Slow and steady is really the way to go when starting to walk/run. Good luck. I hope you get a joy for running!
  • LizzieBee17
    LizzieBee17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Actually, the C210K program might help you ease into the C25K. The first couple weeks of C210K have a lot more walking than running. The workouts are a little longer (45 minutes to an hour) but I felt they were easier to build up endurance than the C25K. You start off by walking 5 minutes, running for 30 seconds, walking for 4 minutes 30 seconds (repeat that like 6-7 times), then walk 5 minutes. If you have an ipod or iphone, there's an app you can download and it will tell you when to walk and run.

I started as a couch potato and after 6 weeks of C210K, I was able to run a 5K without walking.

I can't find it. Do you have a link?
  • SuzieR
    SuzieR Posts: 127
    Options
    I started C25K a couple of weeks ago. I have about 80lb to lose ... I did Day 1 and I nearly died! Couldn't finish any of the running intervals. I stopped and said I would start after I'd lost a stone. Since then have been doing the 30 Day Shred and other DVDs. I have 2lb to go to that 14lb (will hopefully be there on Monday!), and I'll be restarting soon ... completely prepared to do week 1 twice if necessary!
  • liveforfit
    liveforfit Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm not overweight, but I do the C25K program too and it's been helping me a lot. :) I'm on Week 3, and I love it. :) However, like everybody said before, doing each week twice would probably be best because it'll help build your stamina. Don't continue forward until you feel ready.
  • Vendetta2300
    Options
    I am around 250 lbs and I just started C25K this week. I am going to repeat the first week, cause it was a bit hard and I am not ready to move on just yet.

The program has a podcast that tells you when to run, when to walk and so on (like some of the others mentioned for another program). This one is called Podrunner Intervals and comes as an app for iPhone and can also be downloaded to MP3-players from iTunes. I think it's great - I dont have to think or fiddle with a watch, I just listen for the sound :laugh:

Anyways, just wanted to let you know that it can be done. I would, however, suggest that you start walking first, then slowly build up to walking faster and faster. Then you can start running!

Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • austrya
    austrya Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I can't find it. Do you have a link?

I looked and couldn't find anything that you could print off. I have an app on my iPhone that I use. This is the app that I use http://www.felttip.com/c10k/