Treadmill worth the investment?

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Katie_Y89 wrote: »
    I am highly considering buying a treadmill off my friend's mom for $200. I really want one and have for a long time and I feel it will help me achieve my wt loss goals. I'm just very hesitant because I bought a gold gym exercise bike from goodwill and I never use it. Butni feel like I don't get that much of a workou in on the bike as iIwould a treadmill and iI'd liketo start running.
    Getting a gym membership would be a huge inconvenience and would never be used. It be nice to have the treadmill available whenever.

Is it worth it??

First would you use it? If so, what kind is it? New treadmills can go from $250-$3000 and up. If you're paying $200 for one that is $300 new, it isn't worth it. If it's a $2000 one and it works, you're in business. If you're serious, find the model and see what they go for new.
  • Katie_Y89
    Katie_Y89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    There is no way I can afford a $2000 treadmill lol!! I can barely afford this one! I am having my friend send me the model number so I can research it before buying it to make sure its what I am looking for :smiley:

Packerjohn wrote: »
    I am highly considering buying a treadmill off my friend's mom for $200. I really want one and have for a long time and I feel it will help me achieve my wt loss goals. I'm just very hesitant because I bought a gold gym exercise bike from goodwill and I never use it. Butni feel like I don't get that much of a workou in on the bike as iIwould a treadmill and iI'd liketo start running.
    Getting a gym membership would be a huge inconvenience and would never be used. It be nice to have the treadmill available whenever.

Is it worth it??

First would you use it? If so, what kind is it? New treadmills can go from $250-$3000 and up. If you're paying $200 for one that is $300 new, it isn't worth it. If it's a $2000 one and it works, you're in business. If you're serious, find the model and see what they go for new.

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I bought a treadmill, then I got a dog. So most of my exercise happens outdoors (living next to Forest Service trail head makes it easy). The treadmill is nice for when it's below 0 and I don't really want to walk or hike. I also have a stationery bike for variety. The treadmill was expensive, the bike was $5, no regrets on either purchase. Give it a try.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Is it worth it??

I agree.

I love mine. It's a $2400 treadmill I picked up for under $400 many years ago. I go months without using it but I like knowing it's always there and if I didn't have one I'd want one. I like incline better than speed.

If it's a good deal you can probably sell it for what you paid for it, if you don't use it.
  • YeaYeaPueblo
    YeaYeaPueblo Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The treadmill itself matters. I bought one last summer and paid about $800 for it. Worth every penny!! I've logged about 200 miles on it, and use it every other day. I live in Alaska where outdoor running with two toddlers is just not feasible during the winter. My treadmill has been a godsend.

I agree with others, research the machine. Create a checklist of what you want on yours before you buy the first one that comes your way. I'm tall and needed a longer platform and taller frame, it was a must for me.
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you. Yes, do your research on it. I had one given to me by my parents. It came in handy since I cannot walk outside due to road safety. It's a very old treadmill (short and narrow tread, tip machine and pull pins on legs to adjust incline, top speed of 5.0 mph, crank handle for the speed lol). I bought a HR monitor and lost almost all of my weight by food logging and walking while watching my recorded shows. Free MFP. Free treadmill, Free weight loss, Free healthy life. Hopefully I didn't make you all jealous, not for the "free" stuff but because my treadmill has a crank handle LMAO. ;)
  • Sillybee727
    Sillybee727 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I got one for about $125 off Craigslist and it's great so far. I have a LO too and it's been cold, so it can be easy to make excuses ( or have no daycare) to get to the gym or to run/walk outside. Because of the treadmill in the basement I just got my exercise in and can head off to bed happy with myself.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i have a Technogym treadmill. It was expensive, but i use it to supplement my running regime. I have found a ton of fantastic interval workouts on Pinterest and they are far from boring. If you just trudge on them at the same pace I could see them being boring but interval workouts where you vary the interval/tempo every couple of minutes make the time fly and burn a ton of calories.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for around two and a half years and it has paid for itself many times over. I got it when I found out I needed a hysterectomy so I could start walking at home as part of my recovery (and not be stranded outside if I got too tired). Since then it's had a lot of use - if I'm short on steps for the day I walk on it and watch music videos on youtube, I use it for warmups now that I have free weights at home, and I'm currently halfway through couch210k. I get very self-conscious about running outside, plus I often get the urge to exercise after 10pm (and running outside in the dark is even less appealing). So I vote yes but everyone's circumstances and preferences are different, so it's really down to whether *you* believe you would use it.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    cb2bslim wrote: »
    It really depends on you. Yes, do your research on it. I had one given to me by my parents. It came in handy since I cannot walk outside due to road safety. It's a very old treadmill (short and narrow tread, tip machine and pull pins on legs to adjust incline, top speed of 5.0 mph, crank handle for the speed lol). I bought a HR monitor and lost almost all of my weight by food logging and walking while watching my recorded shows. Free MFP. Free treadmill, Free weight loss, Free healthy life. Hopefully I didn't make you all jealous, not for the "free" stuff but because my treadmill has a crank handle LMAO. ;)

I'm jealous. I paid $50 for mine (I think, I can't remember, maybe $25) and it sounds the same only it uses a knob instead of a crank handle.

The one we have I bought because my wife wanted it. I've probably used it more than she has. It wasn't a bad investment for whatever I paid, but if she didn't want it I wouldn't have bought it.
  • nikkinicolec89
    nikkinicolec89 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've gotten a couple treadmills and always end up getting rid of them I would much rather be outside running on treadmills is not good to me unless it's freezing plus they take up tons of space
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the rare cases of someone who actually uses the treadmill they bought. I love it. Turn on the TV or read and zone out. I will admit that it takes an incredible amount of mental fortitude to endure how boring it can be but like anything else the more you do it the easier it gets. I'm not blessed enough to live in a neighborhood where I feel safe running outside - plus New England weather can be brutal.

That being said, based on the experiences of most people, I would not recommend buying a treadmill for full price. At $200 it may be worth the risk to try it.

There may be another benefit of owning a treadmill. If you have one in the house it can be a constant reminder to workout. A $5 poster could achieve the same effect but it is a little harder to get rid of a treadmill.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I love mine now, and I don't get the boredom thing. I am not on it long enough to get bored. I am off in 55 minutes and use all the pre-config workouts and use my own custom ones. I run out side spring, summer and fall and indoors in winter. Nothing will take the place of outdoors, ever.

It is exercise, but you do need to like to do it, or it will sit and be a clothes hanger.

OP this is a personal choice, and if you start running outside or inside, you still need a good pair of shoes.
    Perhaps you can go to the house where it is setup and run on it a couple of times or if not go to a gym and run on one... but... they all run different though.

Make decision on what you will enjoy doing for your cardio, do have the money to spend on running gear (shoes, etc.) and a treadmill?...
  • thatshistorical
    thatshistorical Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    treadmills are a dime a dozen, most people can't give them away. 200$ seems a lot, when you can get them for 25$ at most thrift stores. Even if its a high end top of the line, most people that wanna get rid of them have to pay someone to take them away.

And if its worth the investment, that's only if you will use it. I have one in my garage, i use it enough to make it worth it for me to keep it. But i use the one at the gym also. Home treadmills need maintenance and repairs and track adjustments and stuff, so keep that in mind also. I like the gym treadmills because their maintenance guys keep them running in peak condition.

The ones at the thrift stores are often crappy old ones with worn out or improperly maintained motors. If the one she's looking to buy is $200 and was originally $1k and well maintained, that's a good deal. Plus she knows the owner--you never know what shenanigans a thrift store item was involved in. Maybe an OK GO music video, I dunno...
  • Katie_Y89
    Katie_Y89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    So it turns out the treadmill I was going to purchase is 15 years old!!! Not paying $200 for a 15 yr old model!!!
    So I Sam considering looking into a new one for $300. It will legit be all the money I have basically but I think it will be worth it in the end. Going to give it some time and think about it. Maybe a few days or a week.
  • daveharris54
    daveharris54 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Something that has to be considered about a treadmill is the noise level. Your feet hitting the belt is noisy plus the sound of the motor and belt can be very annoying to your neighbors if you live in an apartment or with other people that may be annoyed while you are using it. If that is not an issue and you will use it, then go for it, otherwise they make good clothes racks and dust collectors.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Is it worth it??

$200 bucks I say go for it. Put it some place where there's a tv so you can hop on and watch a show. I have a treadmill. It's in the living room. I've been using it a few times a week for walking. I just throw on a show and walk for 45 minutes. It's also good for me when I start training for races in May/June. Where I live it's really cold and if there's usually snow and ice on the roads until mid April so it's been a godsend to me.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    So it turns out the treadmill I was going to purchase is 15 years old!!! Not paying $200 for a 15 yr old model!!!
    So I Sam considering looking into a new one for $300. It will legit be all the money I have basically but I think it will be worth it in the end. Going to give it some time and think about it. Maybe a few days or a week.

A new 300 treadmill is very low quality. In general you would be much better off with a good used machine from Craigs list or another source for that kind of money. If for some reason you can't get a used one (delivery issues or whatever) I would skip it.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Me too. Especially if money is tight. There are so many other ways to get cardio. A cheap exercise device is usually more of an annoyance than a help.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

keep an eye out, people area always getting rid of high end ones for really cheap. I'm glad you researched it, your moms friend almost scored , she wont be able to give her treadmill away. Tell her its 15 years old and you'll take it for free if she needs it out of her house.
    Something also to consider about a treadmill, i have one and its a pretty nice gym quality treadmill and its noisy with my feet and the track and motor and stuff, so when my boyfriend is home i don't like using it because its loud and we are very quiet people. I also hate the maintenance part, and they are a machine do need maintenance to run smoothly. But i do like having mine in the garage when i need a quick energy burn off or at the end of the day if i feel i didn't get enough exercise for the day.