senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    So what are you supposed to eat when you're a hybrid of races? :'(

Heinz 57.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    This makes about as much sense as the blood type diet.

Which would be, none. None sense at all.
  • senecarr
    Options

Diet? I'd settle for having my attitude match my blood type (B+).
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Heinz 57.

Makes sense! I feel like the ketchup diet is probably already a thing for someone somewhere out there.
  • senecarr
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Heinz 57.

Makes sense! I feel like the ketchup diet is probably already a thing for someone somewhere out there.

The 57 in Heinz is for 57 varieties of products. My father referred to our mixed European ancestry as being a Heinz 57, or mutt if being a little less polite. So maybe eat mutts with ketchup? I think that's banned in most states.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

Qft

People love to take small bits of fact and twist them into ridiculousness!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm Scotch-Irish. So potatoes, haggis, whiskey, beer and I am good to go apparently.

I'm suspicious of this, no Scot would refer to themselves as a drink...........

As an aside, I'm Scottish/English/Irish and possible Welsh. Let's just call it British and probably some Viking and other Europeans if we go far enough back. My see through pale skin suggests mostly British though. So beer, whisky, pastry, meat, deep fried everything, potatoes and clooty dumpling. Seems legit.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    This makes me feel bad for people born into cannibal tribes.
    3xz2BtrwQ2wIBeciAw.gif

Well I mean...I guess if it's got like....a missionary's foot in or something, then hey
    ZVR87gcbHL8kM.gif

Prion diseases could always take care of that.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    I am a polish jew-does that mean I get to eat tons of bagels and cream cheese? (In all seriousness, I hope I don't have to eat like my grandma, I really don't like whitefish salad or pickled herring).

Gefilte fish?

Apparently there's artisanal, gourmet gefilte fish now which is much tastier. I like picked herring, at least the kind we buy at the store, which is preserved with white wine. I draw the line at chicken liver. When I was a kid my (non-Jewish) grandmother made it often and I liked it, but now I don't know what I was thinking.

I have some relatives who live in Minnesota and I like to joke about lutefisk, which apparently is disgusting no matter what you do it. Maybe one day I'll have some, with a side of haggis.

I'll have you know haggis is delicious!

Another thought. On the fried foods thing. I like it but man does my tummy not enjoy it very much. I still eat it now and then because fish and chips and fried chicken but I suffer for it. No adaptation there.
  • auddii
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »
    I am a polish jew-does that mean I get to eat tons of bagels and cream cheese? (In all seriousness, I hope I don't have to eat like my grandma, I really don't like whitefish salad or pickled herring).

Gefilte fish?

Apparently there's artisanal, gourmet gefilte fish now which is much tastier. I like picked herring, at least the kind we buy at the store, which is preserved with white wine. I draw the line at chicken liver. When I was a kid my (non-Jewish) grandmother made it often and I liked it, but now I don't know what I was thinking.

I have some relatives who live in Minnesota and I like to joke about lutefisk, which apparently is disgusting no matter what you do it. Maybe one day I'll have some, with a side of haggis.

I'll have you know haggis is delicious!

Another thought. On the fried foods thing. I like it but man does my tummy not enjoy it very much. I still eat it now and then because fish and chips and fried chicken but I suffer for it. No adaptation there.

It really is.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm have about 7 different ethnicities. I guess I can eat everything
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    As an American descendant of a hodgepodge of cultures, what should I eat?
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    As an American descendant of a hodgepodge of cultures, what should I eat?

Everything.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    It never ceases to amaze me how people can fall for the idea that an ideal diet comes from a time when the average life span was 30-ish years old.

Thats got very little to do with diet and more to do with lack of modern medicine e.g antibiotics. Also higher infant mortality alters the stats.

Just so I'm clear...are you suggesting that diet has nothing to do with longer life spans?

Bah...I'm a public health student and I tend to love the juggernaut posts and while, yes...diet does have something to do with longer life spans...diet is really a very sexy, modern and tangible health topic and it would be hard to isolate diet as a major contributing factor to the lengthening of life spans...a lot of it has to do with better infant/maternal mortality rates, large reductions in accidental deaths, and dare I bring up John Snow's pump handle contribution to sanitation and hygiene reducing the spread of infectious disease. ...
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I'm Scotch-Irish. So potatoes, haggis, whiskey, beer and I am good to go apparently.

Potatoes are from the Andes. Try again!
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    stang02 wrote: »
    Veryana wrote: »
    I should have clarified in my OP by stating folks who are genetically homogeneous. :) And since I didn't, it invited a whole slew of other comments and confusion. lol

Is that even a thing?? Even little ol' me is part slytherin.

Nope, no such thing.

Actually there is, in parts of Asia, Africa, far north America, and South America. Homogeneous when it comes to genetics means common/similar, not exact (which I am assuming is what you are thinking). :)

Twins are . . .

Except that they've found more genetic commonalities between people of different "races" than those of the same "race". Which makes the term race kind of pointless.

The real question is whether it's cultural appropriation to eat food that doesn't come from your ancestral background . . .

You can appreciate without appropriate. ;)

Gave me a good chuckle.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Pandawdy wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me how people can fall for the idea that an ideal diet comes from a time when the average life span was 30-ish years old.

We now know that short life spans of the past had more to do with how numbers were figured. Infant mortality rates heavily influenced average life expectancy.

Yes...I have ancestors in the middle ages (Tudor England, Medieval Spain) who were living into their 60s and 70s...well, the ones who didn't die in battles or lose their heads at a premature age.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I should have clarified in my OP by stating folks who are genetically homogeneous. :) And since I didn't, it invited a whole slew of other comments and confusion. lol

It looks like something that would only appeal to people who are immigrants or their ancestors were, and also managed to not mix with immigrants from other areas or with "locals"? Since e.g. the eat like your ancestors idea and the whole ancestors and origins thing would really not be such a novelty or anything to get excited about if you are a Chinese living in China, an Italian living in Italy, a Pakistani living in Pakistan and so on...
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    How about we're all human beings and if you go back far enough we share a common ancestor.
    Eat what you're not allergic to. Ancestral diet is a ridiculous concept.
  • auddii
    Options

Potatoes are from the Andes. Try again!

Pretty sure people who are 80-90 living in Ireland did in fact eat potatoes.