Running for Beginners

Options
I haven't ran in 10 years, and back then I only did it for the high school sports. I really want to run, and to love running! I hear so many people talking about how it clears their mind...I WANT THAT!! Anyone on here start out at a "bigger weight" and master running? I just feel like I need to lose weight before I can run because I get so out of breath and not to mention the jiggly parts! I'd love some advice, tips, motivation, whatever!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    abkesler wrote: »
    I hear so many people talking about how it clears their mind...I WANT THAT!!

Strength training can do that too. So can yoga. So can art & music. So can deciding to be present. :)

Like a lot of people, i dislike running long distances, but if you want to do it, read the first sticky post in this forum. :+1:

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I started "running" at 310lbs when I began losing weight.

The great thing about running is that you don't need anything special to do it, you just have to do it.... and then keep doing it over, and over again.

I'd suggest getting on a program like c25k, or something similar though. You may, or may not be able to complete it as it is set up, but it gives you a good outline to work within, so if you need to work two weeks (or more) of the same level, go for it until you feel like you can progress.

I haven't mastered it by any means, but I was up to running nearly four straight miles without pausing until an injury forced me to shut it down for a number of months.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great start.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    start a c2k program. repeat days/ weeks as needed. take you time. even though youre running, its not a race ;)
  • Carpercia
    Carpercia Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great start - I agree. I was finding that I had issues with my knees so I started to incorporate some cross trainer and versaclimber.

I really feel like the versaclimber helped me achieve my goal in terms of fitness and running.
  • fabiola_1
    fabiola_1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Start out slowly and make sure to stretch. I also think music helps to give you that extra oomph that you sometimes need so put together a playlist and enjoy your run!! :-)
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I started running at 238 lbs using C25K. It's a great program. If you're looking for less structure, the Zombies, Run 5k app is great too.
  • abkesler
    abkesler Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    ok...I'm convinced! I have downloaded the C25K app and plan to start tomorrow!
  • mabear32059
    mabear32059 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was running and only short distances, for only a few minutes, loved it... however I developed plantar fasciitis wich has only recently allowed me to work my 8-12 hour shifts (wich are ALL walking) without pain or having to take ibuprofen every day... I know I need to ease back in to working out... especially running. Any suggestions? I too read that increasing your runs to quickly at too high a weight can cause this symptom as well. Any truth? :#
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I started running when I had 110 pounds to lose. It's definitely doable.

If you're getting out of breath, you're either going too fast or too long. C25K is a great place to start, because you'll be doing intervals -- running mixed with fast walking. The trick with C25K is to not be afraid to repeat a week (or weeks!) and don't be afraid to run slow. You should be able to say a 6 word sentence when you're running, but not too much more.

Honestly, 99% of everyone out there is not going from being a true couch potato to running a 5K non-stop in just 8 weeks. I certainly didn't. But you can get much fitter pretty quickly, and be well on your way to that 5K goal.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to work up to some running as well. I've been walking, and trying to work in some running where I feel able... So far I've been cheating a bit and only running on downslope portions of my root, lol, but have been feeling more and more like I could run on flat surfaces... And last night I did! Only for ten minutes, but that is far and above what I've been able to do before.
  • rubrink
    rubrink Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The thing about running is at the beginning, it SUCKS so bad. For about three weeks. Then all of a sudden you will just get it. You'll be able to control your breathing better, and that's so important. When people tell me "I hate running", I usually respond with "It's because you havent done it enough"
  • abkesler
    Options
    rubrink wrote: »
    The thing about running is at the beginning, it SUCKS so bad. For about three weeks. Then all of a sudden you will just get it. You'll be able to control your breathing better, and that's so important. When people tell me "I hate running", I usually respond with "It's because you havent done it enough"

I love this!! I can handle "suckiness" if I know its short term...I think I'll use "three weeks" as my new mantra when I feel like I'm gonna die! Thanks!
  • truestepper
    truestepper Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    After going up in weight to 224 lbs, I made the decision to get running in January 2015. I couldn't even run for a bus before doing a C25K program (there is a good NHS one on the Apple podcast list). I invested in some decent trainers plus new headphones and I was off!!

I found the biggest hurdle was in my mind....just starting the damn thing and trying to change my life. The second biggest mental thing was keeping it going (particularly in the crappy Jan/Feb weather). I kept telling myself..."it's only 8 weeks....it's only 8 weeks!"

That 8 weeks went well and flew past. I actually started enjoying the sessions and missed it when I was having my rest days. I watched what I ate but never gave up any foods. Running 5K for me at the end was no problem and my body was thanking me with consistent weight loss plus I felt great.

Fast forward a year and I'm now 182 lbs and entering my first half marathon next month. I run about 4 times a week averaging 35 to 40 miles and mix it up with short and longer distances.

People have already said start slowly from a pace point of view. I'd absolutely agree....you should be able to hold a conversation (or sing if you're on your own) while running. If you can't you're going too fast. You can build speed later but for now it's all about getting your body to accept the exercise and developing stamina.

Don't get discouraged if you have to repeat a week or two on C25K....consistency is key. Also don't be fooled...the first mile always sucks. It sucks even now! Your body will adjust and it will become much, much easier though.

I'd also recommend running outside. It's more interesting, you'll make far better progress more quickly and you'll be able to alter your pace much more easily too. Don't worry about others looking at you, it's in your head and this is your journey.

Don't give up you'll be amazed at what your body can do :smile: If I can do it, anyone can!

• Restoredvitality
    Restoredvitality Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I love this!! I can handle "suckiness" if I know its short term...I think I'll use "three weeks" as my new mantra when I feel like I'm gonna die! Thanks!

I really needed to read BOTH of your comments. NEW RUNNER HERE
  • abkesler
    Options
    After going up in weight to 224 lbs, I made the decision to get running in January 2015. I couldn't even run for a bus before doing a C25K program (there is a good NHS one on the Apple podcast list). I invested in some decent trainers plus new headphones and I was off!!

I found the biggest hurdle was in my mind....just starting the damn thing and trying to change my life. The second biggest mental thing was keeping it going (particularly in the crappy Jan/Feb weather). I kept telling myself..."it's only 8 weeks....it's only 8 weeks!"

That 8 weeks went well and flew past. I actually started enjoying the sessions and missed it when I was having my rest days. I watched what I ate but never gave up any foods. Running 5K for me at the end was no problem and my body was thanking me with consistent weight loss plus I felt great.

Fast forward a year and I'm now 182 lbs and entering my first half marathon next month. I run about 4 times a week averaging 35 to 40 miles and mix it up with short and longer distances.

People have already said start slowly from a pace point of view. I'd absolutely agree....you should be able to hold a conversation (or sing if you're on your own) while running. If you can't you're going too fast. You can build speed later but for now it's all about getting your body to accept the exercise and developing stamina.

Don't get discouraged if you have to repeat a week or two on C25K....consistency is key. Also don't be fooled...the first mile always sucks. It sucks even now! Your body will adjust and it will become much, much easier though.

I'd also recommend running outside. It's more interesting, you'll make far better progress more quickly and you'll be able to alter your pace much more easily too. Don't worry about others looking at you, it's in your head and this is your journey.

Don't give up you'll be amazed at what your body can do :smile: If I can do it, anyone can!

Running outside---that's my preference!! But the paved roads sometimes gives me major shin splints and I can't run in the woods without tripping over a stick!
  • abkesler
    Options

I really needed to read BOTH of your comments. NEW RUNNER HERE

WE CAN DO IT!!!!
  • truestepper
    truestepper Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Tripping over a stick made me smile! Are there any parks or trails near you that would make it easier? I suffered with shin splints when I first started running longer distances. I shortened my stride, slowed down again and walked some of the hills until my body adjusted. Ibroprufen and packs of frozen peas were my friend!

If you go on a familiar route a lot , try and run on the other side of the road from time to time...it sounds weird but it helps to even out the wear and tear.

Shin splints aside, I also bought a muscle roller....best £20 I've ever spent. I use it religiously before and after a run.
  • mabear32059
    mabear32059 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone , there is alot of really good feed back here... gonna meet my trainer Friday to do walk run intervals... I best loved "the biggest hurdle is getting past my head." Omg is that sooo me, it tells me if you go to slow your not working... feeling much better about getting back out there now!