Healthy GOOD foods?

Options
So...don't shoot me..but I've started a medical weight loss program to lose 45 lbs. this is my first week and I'm already struggling. So I downloaded this app in the hopes that I can get good ideas on healthy foods that are good! I have a list of foods that I can have that are meant to shrink my stomach and burn fat. But I'm struggling to incorporate those foods and dress them up. I'm also struggling to get my water in. I hate water...but I love Propel which isn't the same, I know, but it's gotten me off diet soda. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Feel free to add me. Thanks!

Replies

• Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Without knowing the details of your diet plan and what it does and does not allow you to eat, it'll be difficult for folks to make suggestions. It also depends on your definition of "good." You mean tasty? Personally I love oatmeal. I have it with a little almond milk, dried cranberries, raisins, cinnamon, and a dab of maple syrup. Find some veggies you really love. I love zucchini and summer squash, and I got a spiralizer so I can make spaghetti out of it. I put marinara sauce on it and it's awesome.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Oh boy.....food doesn't burn fat or shrink your stomach. Losing weight is eating fewer calories than you body burns. When you lose weight, you lose it wherever it wants to. The last place I drop weight is in my hips & thighs. But I have a pear shaped. Perhaps you are more apple shaped. People have body shapes. This is largely genetic.

When you lose weight it will be a combination of fat, muscle and water. I wish losing weight was about burning fat. Sounds so much more appealing.

"Healthy" foods are those that help you meet your macro goals (protein, fat & carbs). Meeting protein goals helps you keep more lean muscle, eating enough helps you keep more lean muscle. Resistance or strength training helps you keep more lean muscle. Losing more fat is about minimizing muscle loss.

Diet soda and Propel both have fake sweeteners. I don't get headaches or anything, so I drink diet soda (1 a day). All things in moderation.

Drinking water is a good habit to work on. Sometimes thirst can feel like hunger. I keep a Brita water pitcher in the fridge. Maybe you could add lemon slices, mint leaves, or ginger....whatever.

Losing weight is just the first step. Look for things that you can change for a lifetime, this will give you the tools to keep it off.
  • carriewright0813
    carriewright0813 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wellll..I'm taking HGC. The first 30 days is basically meat, fish, eggs, very few fruits. Only strawberries, oranges, apples, and grapefruit. Nothing processed, understandable. 800 calories a day. Only grilled food, no oil whatsoever. Not even olive oil. Very little veggies. It's very strict and I'm just afraid that's it's too strict to stick to. I want to remain positive and I want to stick with what I started but I'm not a good planner by nature so learning to plan my meals is hard to get used to. I know it will get better in time..just have to overcome the obstacles.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    HCG can be very dangerous, has been debunked and is illegal in a bunch of places... did you do adequate research before signing up?
  • carriewright0813
    Options
    In did. I talked to a few people who have lost weight with it and has done well. I read about it online and thought I could do it. Of course there are pros and cons to everything...
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Oh boy.....food doesn't burn fat or shrink your stomach. Losing weight is eating fewer calories than you body burns. When you lose weight, you lose it wherever it wants to. The last place I drop weight is in my hips & thighs. But I have a pear shaped. Perhaps you are more apple shaped. People have body shapes. This is largely genetic.

When you lose weight it will be a combination of fat, muscle and water. I wish losing weight was about burning fat. Sounds so much more appealing.

"Healthy" foods are those that help you meet your macro goals (protein, fat & carbs). Meeting protein goals helps you keep more lean muscle, eating enough helps you keep more lean muscle. Resistance or strength training helps you keep more lean muscle. Losing more fat is about minimizing muscle loss.

Diet soda and Propel both have fake sweeteners. I don't get headaches or anything, so I drink diet soda (1 a day). All things in moderation.

Drinking water is a good habit to work on. Sometimes thirst can feel like hunger. I keep a Brita water pitcher in the fridge. Maybe you could add lemon slices, mint leaves, or ginger....whatever.

Losing weight is just the first step. Look for things that you can change for a lifetime, this will give you the tools to keep it off.

• carriewright0813
    Options
    Oops sorry. Didn't mean to do that lol. Still learning how to drive this app lol
  • carriewright0813
    Options
    Anyway. Good ideas! Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely try putting stuff in my water to give it flavor. I'm allowed lemon so I can add that. I'm sure mint is ok too!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You won't find m
    Wellll..I'm taking HGC. The first 30 days is basically meat, fish, eggs, very few fruits. Only strawberries, oranges, apples, and grapefruit. Nothing processed, understandable. 800 calories a day. Only grilled food, no oil whatsoever. Not even olive oil. Very little veggies. It's very strict and I'm just afraid that's it's too strict to stick to. I want to remain positive and I want to stick with what I started but I'm not a good planner by nature so learning to plan my meals is hard to get used to. I know it will get better in time..just have to overcome the obstacles.

You won't find much support for your very low calorie diet (VLCD). Promoting VLCD's is against MFP guidelines. MFP recommends a minimum of 1200 net calories for women (nutrition & health).

Very restrictive, elimination diets don't teach you lifestyle changes. 800 calories sounds miserable.

Good luck :*

• carriewright0813
    Options
    Thanks! I kinda knew putting it out there was a risk to getting no support. I'll be sure to not do that again.
  • carriewright0813
    Options
    Thank you Knight! I will definitely watch and learn! Thanks for sharing!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I kinda knew putting it out there was a risk to getting no support. I'll be sure to not do that again.

Recommending you not do something that can damage your health is support. It's just maybe not the support you were looking for.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    HCG is a Very Bad Idea. You can lose weight and eat good food, or you can take HGC, follow your list of "magic" food, fail, and be even less healthy than you were when you started.

Please, please, please, try something else.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    May I ask why you are on such a low calorie diet? Personally I wouldn't be able to sustain any kind of program on so few calories. I've been losing weight pretty steadily on 1,550 calories per day. How much do you have to lose?
  • carriewright0813
    Options
    I want to lose 45 lbs. I've had a hysterectomy so that is some of the reason why it's hard to lose weight, I'm told. Hormones are very low and I'm going to see what can be done for that. But the biggest reason is I want a quick fix. I want to lose weight quickly and maintain...but I'm upping my calorie intake to 1200..or try to. Now that I'm logging, I find it's harder than I thought to eat more.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I understand the urge to get it done fast, but it's most important to get it done permanently. Extreme measures may not be your long-term friend! People on this site seem to lose anywhere from 1/2 pound to 2 pounds a week--maybe not sustaining that higher number very many weeks in a row--which is fast enough to see really gratifying results pretty quick, and slow enough to indicate an eating pattern that can be adopted permanently, so you won't yo-yo. Wouldn't it be nice to lose weight slowly but surely, while eating real food and not feeling deprived? It's worked for me for the last three months.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of surprised a doctor would put you on a VLCD to lose 45 lbs. If you do a moderate calorie deficit, you could lose a lb a week and lose the weight in less than a year without scary drugs and paying a doctor to monitor dangerously low-cal eating.

Everyone wants the quick fix. But the quick fix doesn't teach you the skills you need to maintain the weight loss, and after months of eating very low cal, it often leads to boomerang over-eating that leads to gaining most of it back. The diet industry is built on the quick fix - because it usually doesn't stick and you have to keep jumping on the next bandwagon, over and over again.

OP, I hope you reconsider. Whatever route you take, best of luck.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options

I think this what some close friends of mine did last year. I remember the "absolutely no oil" and "no exercise". They both lost a lot of weight. Unfortunately, after getting off the diet, most of that weight has crept back on. I think while you lose weight quick, maintenance is really hard.

I hope you manage to figure out what works for you!

As for your question, I look for satiating foods (and apparently that varies for each individual). For me, plain chickpeas or plain hard boiled eggs are my go-to foods when I need something low cal and filling. Air-popped popcorn can satisfy munchy cravings. Soups are also great. I make this delish chicken and wild rice soup that fills me up for about 250 cals. (recipe from skinnytaste.com). I am learning to make skinnier dishes which are delish.

• carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I know a couple women that were on hgc - one was always irritable because she was deprived and hungry. She lost some weight...but gained it all back, of course. The other one was using it to get the last 20lbs off...she lost some of it, but just like the other woman, it came back once she got off the diet.

I know you want it off fast, but what's the point if you're going to lose it, just to gain it right back because your method to lose was unsustainable?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Wellll..I'm taking HGC. The first 30 days is basically meat, fish, eggs, very few fruits. Only strawberries, oranges, apples, and grapefruit. Nothing processed, understandable. 800 calories a day.

Yikes so sorry to hear that. Hope you don't do any permanent damage to your health. When you're ready to lose weight in a healthy weight I hope you'll come here for advice again and we'll be happy to support you.