Your biggest pet peeves...

Options
When I'm dieting or just trying to be healthy I general, and my friends want to go to out to eat, and I ask if we can go somewhere with healthy options and they just say "just get a salad" .....I freak in my head almost every time lol. Even though I love salads, they are typically very unhealthy at restaurants, and it just bugs me for some reason lol. What's yours?

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    When people tell me I shouldn't lift heavy as I will get bulky and injure myself and that instead I should go to bodybpump class (for me not in my goals and hello tendonitis)
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    My mother saying she doesn't have time to log. She can visibly see the progress I've made and chalks it all up to youth. Because it's clearly that she's older (and doesn't have a toddler to worry about all day or multiple people to cook for, and has all the financial resources to do this that I do not) and has nothing to do with the effort I'm putting in. Couldn't possibly be that CICO works and she's just refusing to do it. Oh, but a juice fast, and nutrisystem, and weight watchers she'll shell out for and do.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Small peeve.......

"Bloated" seems to be a new buzz word in the dieting world. Does is come from "detox" sales pitches? I don't know.

Are so many of us swimsuit models that we need to be really concerned if our waistlines are 1/4" bigger than they were yesterday?
  • dwulet130
    dwulet130 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My BF knows I'm dieting and is wicked supportive, but suggests going out to dinner every night. When I say "no, I'm watching what I eat" he suggests drinks. Because rum & coke is calorie free?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    My mother saying she doesn't have time to log. She can visibly see the progress I've made and chalks it all up to youth. Because it's clearly that she's older (and doesn't have a toddler to worry about all day or multiple people to cook for, and has all the financial resources to do this that I do not) and has nothing to do with the effort I'm putting in. Couldn't possibly be that CICO works and she's just refusing to do it. Oh, but a juice fast, and nutrisystem, and weight watchers she'll shell out for and do.

Ugh. Especially the youth part. I'm older, but I can't blame my weight on my age. ANYONE losing weight is making the effort. It's not "easy" because you are young.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    "How do I trim fat from my [BODY PART]?"

"I gave up gluten but I'm not losing any weight."

"Where do vegans get their protein?"

"Food [X] has [good|bad] [fat|sugar]."
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    When I'm dieting or just trying to be healthy I general, and my friends want to go to out to eat, and I ask if we can go somewhere with healthy options and they just say "just get a salad" .....I freak in my head almost every time lol. Even though I love salads, they are typically very unhealthy at restaurants, and it just bugs me for some reason lol. What's yours?

I don't have any pet peeves but I bet I know your friend's peeves; "Every time we plan to go out, pinggolfer96 wants to go somewhere he can eat healthy!"
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    People saying random foods like avocado or air-popped popcorn are bad and should be avoided at all costs. Meanwhile, they also say yogurt is good for you even if a full fat fruit yogurt is just a few calories less than half a small avocado (or a LOT of pop corn). When I confront them with numbers, they just shrug and say I'm a freak because I know the caloric content of everyday food...
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Normally, I'd answer the "You need to eat more or your metabolism will shut down" myth.

However, right now it's obnoxious ads that are flooding my Facebook newsfeed. They all say the same thing and make the same outlandish claim (that people who reply to these posts seem to actually be falling for): "Take our product and lose HALF of your body fat in just a few days!"

I wish this was an exaggeration, but it is not.

Ads for woo drive me up the wall.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    edited February 2016
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Ugh. Especially the youth part. I'm older, but I can't blame my weight on my age. ANYONE losing weight is making the effort. It's not "easy" because you are young.

hb5hdifmwruz.gif

ETA: She's not even "old" by any reasonable standard. She's 53. 53 is not old. 53 is middle aged. This isn't the dark ages, 30 is not a good long life anymore.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    People telling me that I have to eat "clean" in order to lose weight.
    People telling me that I have a high metabolism, that's why I've always been slim.

• bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    when my mom tells me i should stop lifting and just do cardio.. yet tells me how good i look? how does she think i got like this? sure as hell wasn't by being a cardio bunny!
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Small peeve.......

"Bloated" seems to be a new buzz word in the dieting world. Does is come from "detox" sales pitches? I don't know.

Are so many of us swimsuit models that we need to be really concerned if our waistlines are 1/4" bigger than they were yesterday?

LOLLL..WHY is that me now though!! I guess because I go to an all women's studio (outside of the Y) and we wear little things to class..tiny tanks and shorts, I am more aware of any bloat and it being readily seen. It is like the closer I get to my goal and with other areas being small/smaller..a pudgy looking waistline from bloat stands out and I hate it.

I guess if other ladies wear tiny tanks/shirts out and about, then they have the same feelings of wanting to look "fit" in the waistline while wearing it. For ME that little extra around my TOM or if I ate salty foods the night before is noticeable in tight clothing.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    People telling me that I have a high metabolism, that's why I've always been slim.

I got accused of having a high metabolism just this morning. I assume that's a euphemism for "counts every calorie, works out at lunch, and has an 1100+ day logging streak on MFP." :expressionless:
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    Then the excuse is having had two babies because "honey after the second it's just so much harder to lose weight" and "I just want you to be prepared".

... I'm fairly certain that I can't out re-produce the science of thermodynamics, but okay mom.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My mother. She is my pet peeve.

Because there's nothing I can do, you see. I'm female, therefore I will go through menopause and get "wider." That's just how it is. It is impossible for her to lose weight because she's helpless and bound to her genetics and she's a post-menopausal woman.

That statement alone is enough to make me keep going. I'll show her. *mumbling profanities under breath*

That and every time I get on the phone with her, somehow the subject gets switched to weight loss. I am so tired of talking to her about it, I don't want to answer the phone when she calls most of the time. I have a friend who is the same way. Every time she calls, it's the same thing. She can't lose weight because of blah, blah, and I must be a special snowflake because all I had to do was count calories and that doesn't work for her. She *can't* be eating more than 1000 calories! She swears! I want to change my phone number some days.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    The grocery store I work at has a salad bar with a bunch of good looking stuff and they charge you by weight. I end up getting something packaged for lunch anyway because i don't need to guess on calories.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    Normally, I'd answer the "You need to eat more or your metabolism will shut down" myth.

However, right now it's obnoxious ads that are flooding my Facebook newsfeed. They all say the same thing and make the same outlandish claim (that people who reply to these posts seem to actually be falling for): "Take our product and lose HALF of your body fat in just a few days!"

I wish this was an exaggeration, but it is not.

Ads for woo drive me up the wall.

If their ad is for liposuction or elective amputation maybe LOL
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options

THISSSSS. This annoys the hell out of me. If you want to eat "clean" by all means do it. But don't act so high and mighty like it's the only way to lose weight. A lot of my friends are doing this and then they freak when they gain weight back after their "30 Day Clean Eating" challenge.

• Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Family members telling me how to exercise or diet- don't run, it will hurt your joints and you'll get arthritis, eat carbs just eat less carbs because it works for us, etc. They laughed at me when I told them I was cutting out carbs and sugar and said "yeah good luck with that". I am actually interested in running now that I've lost almost 40lbs but now I'm afraid too because of all the horror stories they've told me..