Fitbit or no fitbit?

Replies

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    I like my charge HR. I think it is motivating to see the steps. It doesn't seem to monitor my sleep well. Not sure if it is something about the way I sleep.

My husband won it in a raffle. I don't think I would have it otherwise.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Activity trackers (Fitbit, et al) are a fad. They are totally unnecessary as proven by the billions of people that have never owned one.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Activity trackers (Fitbit, et al) are a fad. They are totally unnecessary as proven by the billions of people that have never owned one.

If we're going by the population of earth having had something or not, then we could call automobiles a fad. Or computers. Or any number of tools that some people have access to and others do not.

A fitbit is not necessary for weight loss, but much like a hammer isn't required to pound a nail into a wall (rocks work great:) ) it's just a tool to make the process a little easier.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    See I keep hearing this, but this doesn't happen to me. Mine counts my steps whether I'm swinging my arms or pushing my kid in a grocery cart or what have you. I wonder why the difference. Am I doing something to cause this? I dunno, but I have repeatedly checked cause I'm all paranoid about that now from hearing it and it counts completely accurately for me.

I wear my fitbit on my non-dominant hand and I have it set up that way on their website. I donno what you are doing differently but I went shopping once and it only counted like 2,000 steps and my friend had over 20k. So I started putting it in my pocket and it was much more accurate after that. Some people even attach it to their shoe laces, lol.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    I've had my flex since April and would feel a little lost without it. The data and the challenges with friends and co-workers is helpful and motivates me when I am struggling.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    See I keep hearing this, but this doesn't happen to me. Mine counts my steps whether I'm swinging my arms or pushing my kid in a grocery cart or what have you. I wonder why the difference. Am I doing something to cause this? I dunno, but I have repeatedly checked cause I'm all paranoid about that now from hearing it and it counts completely accurately for me.

I wear my fitbit on my non-dominant hand and I have it set up that way on their website. I donno what you are doing differently but I went shopping once and it only counted like 2,000 steps and my friend had over 20k. So I started putting it in my pocket and it was much more accurate after that. Some people even attach it to their shoe laces, lol.

Maybe I walk really...hard? The thing is supposed to count impact as a step, not just swinging. I do have a tendency to hit heel-first pretty loud... Maybe it jars me enough to translate up to my arm. I'll have to video it for you guys, cause I'm not special to anyone but mommy, so something has to be going on.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member

What a goofy assertion.

Freestanding trackers probably won't be around forever in the sense that this technology is already being incorporated in to multi-functional devices like smartphones and watches, but the idea that tracking of biometrics is a flash in the pan just because it hasn't existed before now is silly. It's helpful information that's increasingly cheap and easy to acquire- why would that be a "fad?"
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    edited February 2016

So is counting calories, proved by the millions who aren't fat and aren't counting calories.

So is weight lifting based on the millions of people who are healthy without ever lifting weights.

So are running shoes based on the millions of people who are healthy without using running shoes.

Oh, don't forget the gymnasium. How many people never step foot in a gym and are healthy?

And the list can go on...

Amirite?

It's a tool just like anything else you use to lose weight and be healthy. The high horse should be left elsewhere.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    I enjoy having a fitness tracker, it helps keep me honest & also helped me realize how little activity I get on a daily basis as a grad student (I rarely get over 5,000 steps). It pushes me to make more of an effort to move and also makes sure I'm more accurately tracking calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Virtually all our possessions are unnecessary. That doesn't mean that they aren't also useful for some of us.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    I know fit bit calculates tdee with your steps but does it automatically calculate non step based activity like Zumba? If you use fitbit how do you account for something like that?
  • CoffeeNCardio
    edited February 2016
    I know fit bit calculates tdee with your steps but does it automatically calculate non step based activity like Zumba? If you use fitbit how do you account for something like that?

It depends what kind of fitbit you have. Zumba is fairly steady state cardio, although not so much as walking or jogging, so I wouldn't trust the steps if you had a step-counter only, but if you have the kind with a HRM, I would feel safe eating back 50% of those calories. I only walk or run (doesn't get any more steady state than a treadmill), so I eat all mine back and have lost consistently doing that.

ETA: Autocorrect doesn't understand acronyms, so it keeps changing "A HRM" to "AN HRM". The latter is incorrect and it bothers me.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    So without the HRM. You'd log Zumba separately in mfp and maybe eat back half?
  • CoffeeNCardio
    So without the HRM. You'd log Zumba separately in mfp and maybe eat back half?

That sounds about right. Make sure you put in the correct time when you enter the log, so then it cancels out whatever the fitbit says for that period of time. Eat your 50% back for 3-4 weeks and check your progress, then adjust if necessary. With the charge hr, I don't log any exercise, it does it all for me, and has been very accurate. I've lost exactly what I expected to based on the math, but with a step counter only it's probably a bit different. Check out this group for more specific tips. These are experienced users of flexes and others you can ask for sure, they may have an alternative POV that works better.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • raingirl21
    raingirl21 Posts: 167 Member
    I like mine. I have a Fitbit Charge. I'm the type of person that likes motivation and the fitbit does that. This is why I like it:
    1. it has a clock.
    2. I can push a button to see where I am steps, burn, floors, etc. (so you don't have to check your phone or computer for updates)
    3. I have alarms on it.
    4. I can set goals to fit my lifestyle.
    5. If I'm competitive, I can challenge friends.
    I got mine on sale and it has been great. I totally recommend it but I know it's not for everyone.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    My Fitbit has definitely encouraged me to move more. I used to exercise for about 40 min. each day and thought that was enough to help me lose weight. But, after I got my first Fitbit, I realized how little I moved, even with a 40 min. workout.

I had a Flex for over a year and never had any problems with the band. I bought the ChargeHR in May because I wanted the HR piece. The ChargeHR has helped me go from struggling to get 10K steps a day to 18k steps a day! In that time I have lost close to 40 lbs. My husband just preordered the Blaze for me as a gift for when I hit 40 lbs.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member
    My fitbit undercounts my steps when I swing my arm while walking fast, and undercounts them less when I keep my arm unmoving. However, it is extremely accurate in figuring out my daily calories regardless of how (in)accurately it counts steps.... sooooo......
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    jessetfan wrote: »
    fboosman wrote: »
    Using a Fitbit Charge HR is useful in that its built-in heart rate monitor allows it to sample your HR all day long and get a reasonably accurate total for calories burned. I find that aspect of it quite useful, and honestly, I think I'll be wearing *something* that will do that for me for the rest of my life. I like to know!

Here's the bad news. 1. Fitbit is pretty bad at product design and manufacturing. Every single person I know who uses a Fitbit One or similar (clip-on style) has lost at least one. I lost two before I gave up on them. I then wore a Fitbit Charge (non-HR) and lost two of *them* because of the idiotic band design. Gave up. Finally decided I'd give them one more try and bought a Charge HR. My first one began to fall apart (delaminate) after six months. I'm on a replacement sent to me by Fitbit, but this is the last Fitbit device I'll ever wear. I'm done giving them chances. 2. The Fitbit-MFP integration is, or can be, a s**tshow. Missing calories. Duplicate calories. Periods where it just doesn't work at all. And if I do the calculations manually using Fitbit's own data compared with my resting metabolic rate, the numbers MFP reports never, ever match. I've given up on relying on the numbers in MFP as being accurate and just use them as a rough guide. Each morning, I look up my Fitbit calories burned from the day before, subtract my RMR, and enter that into a spreadsheet I keep.

So, yes, having a fitness tracker—preferably one with an all-day HR monitor—is a great thing. Fitbit + MFP is a pain in the rear. I don't know how much of the software issues are MFP, so I don't know how much this would improve by going to a different brand of tracker.

I have had a One since 2013, and I have managed not to ever lose it. I clip it to my bra and it stays put, so it can be done. I may be in the minority, though.

Similar story here, except I have the Zip. I've never come close to washing or losing it.. Probably because it's attached to my bra every waking minute!
    I think I've had just one incident in 12mths where it hasn't synced properly with MFP, and that was only for half a day.
    Getting my fitbit and logging my food on here are the 2 sole reasons I've lost weight. I would never be without a fitbit, ever! I rely on it very much.

• hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    I love Fitbit, although for the past 3 or 4 months I have been using Misfit instead. I started out with the Fitbit Ultra a few years back, then when that died switched to the One. Went through two of those within a year, though (lost one and the second one died - Fitbit offered to replace it but I couldn't find my receipt). So, I decided to give Misfit a try since you don't have to charge it, its waterproof and can wear it anywhere. I love that I can strap it on my ankle for my bike rides, and it uses a point system, which I found weird at first but now love because it means my bike rides count toward my daily goal. With Fitbit, if I go for a two hour bike ride, I will still fall short on my daily goal since it is centered around steps. I found I could somewhat overcome this by wearing my one right on the crease of my hip so that my pedaling motion could be interpreted as steps, and then overwrite the calories and other details from my Garmin once I was done. Still, a pain in the *kitten*. The other problem I had with Fitbit was the lack of waterproofing. My One ended up in the washer a few times. It survived fine the first couple of times, but I think that was the ultimate cause of its early demise.

My Misfit is on the fritz now, though, and the battery is only lasting 2-4 weeks and I have not been able to get any help from customer service. So, I just ordered the Fitbit Alta, and coupled with the Zip that I already have that should work out nice. I like the interchangeable bands, auto detection, move reminders, and silent alarm of the Alta, and Fitbit has made it easy to use multiple devices now. I would like to couple it with a One, but since I already have a Zip, which I got for free from a friend, that's what I'll stick with. Also, the Alta was $20 off with a coupon at Brookstone, and even with tax I got it with express shipping for less than the price everywhere else.
  • scottsull7
    scottsull7 Posts: 12 Member
    I have used a Fitbit One for three-plus years. I wear it either clipped to the waist of my pants or stick it in my pocket. Never lost it, have had little sync'ing issues with MFP, and even had Fitbit replace the tip of the clip that broke off for free, no questions asked.

Related, I also have a Garmin FR235 that I wear daily. I use this for my running as it has the built-in HR monitor and GPS. It also counts steps. I have found that in day-to-day activity, the Garmin lags behind in step counts, sometimes as much as 10%. I think this is a result of it relying on arm motion versus the Fitbit being on my hip. However, when I go out running, or run on a treadmill, the step counts are almost exactly the same. I know the wrist-based Fitbits are extremely popular, but I believe the One and the Zip are actually more accurate for general day-to-day step counting.