Dressing

Options

Replies

• beckygammon
    beckygammon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt. It tastes creamy and indulgent but is macro freindly (for the low fat options) and is nutrient dense. :)
  • hittrain
    hittrain Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    There are good homemade ranch (greek yogurt and herbs mainly) and blue cheese (low fat SC/greek yogurt and blue cheese crumbles) out there. About 20-30 cals a Tbsp.
  • danadinunno
    danadinunno Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I make my own using non fat plain Greek yogurt and the hidden valley Greek yogurt ranch seasoning. It's amazing
    If you like balsamic vinegrette. Skinny girls makes a bottle and it's under $2 at Walmart.
  • bellkat31
    bellkat31 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    dmcb24 wrote: »
    Bolthouse farms dressings are delicious and low calorie! 45 caps for 2 tbs serving. In the veggie section with the Marie's dressings.

Totally agree I even use the avacodo flavor dressing instead of mayo in a egg salad.
  • shellygw
    shellygw Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms makes 0 calorie dressings but they are very high in sodium. Walmart carries it.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Few grams of roasted sunflower seeds. Little Parmesan cheese is great too.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    dmcb24 wrote: »
    Bolthouse farms dressings are delicious and low calorie! 45 caps for 2 tbs serving. In the veggie section with the Marie's dressings.

+1
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I like Good Seasons (make it fresh) Italian dressing. I make up the dressing according to the packet directions, but then I top off the cruet with vinegar so it's all the way to the top. It "lightens" the dressing and makes it last longer. I've never calculated the reduction in calories so I log it the same - I figure it's better to slightly over estimate since I'm probably underestimating somewhere else in my day.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, balsamic vinegar and agave syrup + salt and pepper. 1tsp of oil and agave is enough for a big salad for two and not very high on calories.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    While I generally avoid low-cal substitutes for most things (because a smaller portion of the full-cal stuff still usually tastes better than a bunch of sadness to me), The OPA greek yogurt dressings are actually very good.

OPA-Blue-Cheese-Greek-Yogurt-Dressing.jpg?1402530029
  • ThatGirl_1968
    ThatGirl_1968 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I learned a trick when I went to Weight Watchers back in the day and it totally works (more so for creamier dressings). Put the dressing on the side, dip the fork tines into the dressing first then into the salad for each bite. You get the flavor of the dressing every time and use far less dressing than if you pour it directly onto the salad. I typically only use 1 Tbs rather than 2 -although guess that depends on the size of the salad.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar with or without a little olive oil.

Red wine vinegar with a spicy mustard or dijon, with or without a little olive oil.

For the appropriate salad, low sodium soy sauce plus lime juice plus sriracha, with a tiny bit of fish sauce.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar. It tastes amazing with a few blue cheese crumbles on a salad. Mouth watering.....
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    There are tons of good low-cal suggestions here, and after eating homemade lower cal options for a while you'll probably find commercial dressings taste gross, like sickly sweet. But in situations where you have no control over the dressing options, try just dipping your fork in the dressing before you take a bite. You get the same flavor, with a fraction of the actual dressing. Also keeps the greens from getting soggy.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I learned a trick when I went to Weight Watchers back in the day and it totally works (more so for creamier dressings). Put the dressing on the side, dip the fork tines into the dressing first then into the salad for each bite. You get the flavor of the dressing every time and use far less dressing than if you pour it directly onto the salad. I typically only use 1 Tbs rather than 2 -although guess that depends on the size of the salad.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I love OPA greek yogurt ranch for dipping veggies in or using on baked potatoes, but I love raspberry vinaigrette for my salads.

I also agree with others who have recommended dipping the fork in the dressing before each bite rather than pouring it over - this is what I do at restaurants so I can better control how much dressing is on my salad.
  • skbrodie
    skbrodie Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just had a "taco salad" at McAlister's Deli that had vegetarian chili on top. It was prettttty delicious.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese as a base. Might add 1 t of olive oil, some vinegar - depends on what else is going in the salad. No salads this time of year. Brrrr.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I do "the fork trick" and eat whatever kind I want. I heard about this from a co-worker who heard it from their MIL who heard it from her dietician. If you like creamy dressings, but are trying to cut calories, get your dressing on the side. Dip the tines of your fork about half way (dip, don't scoop) in the creamy dressing before you stab up a bite of your salad.

The way it works is: as you take your bite, the dressing is at the front of your mouth and lips where the taste buds attuned to that sort of thing reside. It tastes like you got a lot of dressing, when you actually haven't had that much. I have done this many times, and it does work. I usually end up with most of the dressing still in the little dressing cup after I've finished my entire salad. It does work best with creamy dressings, although I have used it with other types. The runnier types just don't cling to the tines enough.
  • halfninja2
    halfninja2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on how much dressing you want/need on your salad. If you need a lot, then by all means search for low calorie ones you like. Most of the time I can use any salad dressing, I just limit it. My favorite is honey mustard dressing, and the ones I use are less than 100 cal per 2 tablespoon serving. Ranch was my old favorite but since losing weight I've found it just has too many calories and too much fat for me. Rather eat more stuff in my salad than get all the calories from the dressing!