Any bookworms out there?

Options

Replies

• Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Hi all! New to MFP, but definitely not to reading. I really enjoyed catching up on this thread.
    Just finished Go Set the Watchman (the waiting list for the library e-version was THAT long!) and started The Death of Bees by Lisa O'Donnell and Out of the Shoebox by Yaron Reshef.
    Favorite authors include Dee Brown, Agatha Christie, Paul Gallico, Dayton Duncan...the list is really too long to go on typing.
    I did see Into Thin Air mentioned above and that was a fantastic read. Also someone mentioned Rick Riordan - great author - if you like him you'll probably like Mary Stewart. I bit more old school with the Arthurian legends, but really good!
    So....hello fellow bibliophiles and I hope to see you around MFP!
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I write and I'm also a freelance editor/proofreader. Honestly, I read a TON, but most of the time, the book I'm working on editing or proofing won't be out for at least a year after I've worked on it! For fun, if my eyes aren't too tired after work, I love a good cozy mystery or thriller. Just started a steampunk mystery last night, but I was so tired I fell asleep after a couple pages.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Someone above mentioned Nora Roberts. JD Robb is an alias she uses to write a series about Eve Dallas a NY Police officer in the near future. Romance and mystery combined and I enjoy the series very much. First one is called Naked in Death.
  • Denver88Broncos
    Denver88Broncos Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am!!!

I'm reading Joanne Fluke!!!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I am reading The Choice, by Nicholas Sparks in anticipation of the movie release tomorrow. (I do like a little romance, and loved The Notebook

I read a lot of mysteries/thrillers usually, but a few Nicholas Sparks, Jodi Picoult and others slipped in sometimes.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Tim Dorsey did a meet and greet at the library yesterday and I got a signed first edition of this. Third year in a row I've done that with new releases and I've read all of his books. They're hilarious.

25816760.jpg

• Fernandomike
    Fernandomike Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Great topic! I was a lit major who does not read nearly as much as I used to, but here are some of my all-time favorites:

Song of Solomon-Toni Morrison
    Rabbit is Rich-John Updike
    Lonesome Dove-Larry McMurtry
    Catcher in the Rye- JD Salinger
    Mama Day-Gloria Naylor
    Crime and Punishment-Dostoevsky
    The Prince of Tides-Pat Conroy

• tristramtrent
    tristramtrent Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I like this topic too! I was recently in Austria so decided to read some old Austro-HUngarian writers: Stefan Zweig and Antal Szerb. Totally atmospheric and really you can get lost in them.
    So: is it possible to read a book while pedalling on a exercise bike? I 've never tried but now I'm inspired to try...
  • nade0069
    nade0069 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I like this topic too! I was recently in Austria so decided to read some old Austro-HUngarian writers: Stefan Zweig and Antal Szerb. Totally atmospheric and really you can get lost in them.
    So: is it possible to read a book while pedalling on a exercise bike? I 've never tried but now I'm inspired to try...

I also want to try this. You and I should challenge each other to do this!
  • Sweepypie
    Sweepypie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have just finished reading Stuart McBride and now reading Ian Rankin. I love crime/thriller books! I have every one of Kathy Reichs books on my bookcase! Karin Slaughter was good with her first few books but now I can't get into them, so I don't read her books anymore. Patricia Cornwell books are good too! I have most of hers! Have a few more authors I collect!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Lois McMaster Bujold's MIles Vorkosigan series is fantastic.
  • tristramtrent
    tristramtrent Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    @nade0069 you're on! Pedal and read and no dropping the book on the floor! Tell me how you get on..,pages per mile?
  • E_Goldfish
    E_Goldfish Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    +1 bookworm here. Currently reading Jennifer Saunders' biography, "Bonkers". Also into comics, manga, geeky misc.
  • jordanamrussell
    jordanamrussell Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Fellow bookworm here! Currently reading "Daughter of smoke and bone"
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Reading "What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revolution". Definite, long-time bookworm.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Lucy1771 wrote: »
    Hi all! New to MFP, but definitely not to reading. I really enjoyed catching up on this thread.
    Just finished Go Set the Watchman (the waiting list for the library e-version was THAT long!) and started The Death of Bees by Lisa O'Donnell and Out of the Shoebox by Yaron Reshef.
    Favorite authors include Dee Brown, Agatha Christie, Paul Gallico, Dayton Duncan...the list is really too long to go on typing.
    I did see Into Thin Air mentioned above and that was a fantastic read. Also someone mentioned Rick Riordan - great author - if you like him you'll probably like Mary Stewart. I bit more old school with the Arthurian legends, but really good!
    So....hello fellow bibliophiles and I hope to see you around MFP!

Welcome. I read the Death of Bees. It was ok.

Someone earlier mentioned the dresden files. I liked the first 8 books or so and then I just couldn't do it anymore. Amazon has all the Lindsay Buroker steam punk books either free or for $.99 right now. I'm reading them. Her books kinda piss me off though. They always start strong and have rushed endings. Like, if there is a trilogy Book 1 is fabulous and hooks you in, Book 2 is great, Book 3 is 100 pages shorter and the end doesn't live up either previous book. It's like when you play a video game and the end bosses are ridiculously easy compared to the regular game play. I hate that.
  • Skytha
    Skytha Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with books - I am starting to drown in them again after getting rid of a lot. I always have so many more than I ever have time to read!! I'm currently reading Tete a Tete, a bio of Jean Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir by Hazel Rowley and A Manual for Cleaning Women by Lucia Berlin. There are a ton of others on my nightstand. I love Goodreads to keep track of my reads and Paperback Swap to trade!! Looking forward to going home tonight to get a lot of reading in as it's not a workout night.
  • renaedar
    renaedar Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I am also a bookworm and am reading "Around the next Corner" by Elizabeth Wrenn and its so funny.
  • emilycat214
    emilycat214 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Professional bookworm here (librarian). I mostly read genre fiction, especially fantasy and science fiction, as well as romance and mystery. Favorite authors include Patricia Briggs, Diane Duane, Jim Butcher, Nora Roberts/JD Robb, Kerry Greenwood, Lois Bujold, Laurie R. King, Elizabeth Peters (Amelia Peabody!)... I could go on and on. I am also a geek: love Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Star Trek, Buffy, Forever Knight (I'm dating myself), etc. I read a lot of fanfiction and sometimes write it.

I sometimes listen to audiobook while exercising (The Martian got me through a lot of treadmill sessions), but lately have become a convert to Zombies, Run! I don't run, but I do walk briskly (3 mph) from the living dead.

Would love to have other bookworms, geeks, and kindred spirits as friends.