Chia addiction?????

Options
Daisychain65
Daisychain65 Posts: 161 Member
edited February 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Hi all, I've recently added chia seeds to my diet and I love them but one thing slightly concerns me, and I'm struggling to find any info on the net. A few articles I've read, about the benefits and side effects of chia, mention a possible addiction.........!'

'Chia should be consumed in short phases followed by break periods as some cases have shown people getting addicted to it'

'People who are suffering with heart problems may want to avoid these seeds as it has addictive effects on its users.'
for example.

I'm curious, how would you know if you're addicted? Does chia have some effect on some people that I'm missing like a chia 'high' or something? And more to the point what are the withdrawal symptoms likely to be if I stop 'using' them???? I'm giggling to myself as I write this because it seems bizarre but maybe there's a serious side that I need to know about.

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    No.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I eat chia seeds everyday with my Greek yogurt and don't consider myself addicted. Chia seeds have some healthy benefits to them, therefore there is nothing wrong with eating them daily. I do however limit myself to one serving a day, though.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Addicted? That's not something I'd spend much time thinking about. Doesnt sound the least bit likely or credible.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Heck, no. Not unless you have ever been addicted to tapioca.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Seriously?? I add them to my whole foods smoothie and it sits overnight to become a luscious texture. I'm addicted to my breakfast smoothies.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Here is some more information... it seems to me that the warning is put out there as an abundance of caution.
    "Finally, chia seeds may be habit-forming (1). Really. Given all their benefits, you might think this is a good thing. However, they come from the “Salvia” family which is linked to recreational use typically involving rolling its dried leaves or ingesting its juices. But the National Institute on Drug Abuse says, “Although salvia is generally considered a hallucinogen, it does not act at serotonin receptors that are activated by other hallucinogens like LSD or psilocybin, and its effects are reported by experienced users to be different from those drugs.”
    http://www.rawandnaturalhealth.com/side-effects-chia-seeds-may-surprise/
  • Daisychain65
    Daisychain65 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    sonjavon, thank you for the link. I wasn't seriously concerned about it, more curious because it seemed like such an odd thing to be saying about chia. I don't think I shall give it any more thought. Then again if I'm ever spotted on the forums posting that I have seen purple rhinos or giant rabbits, please feel free to remind me about the possible hallucinogenic effects of chia seeds lol
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Lol. So funny
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Um no. Try smoking or drugs (like real drugs not pot) if you are looking to compare. After you've built up a real addiction, try going without chia seeds for a day or two.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    'People who are suffering with heart problems may want to avoid these seeds as it has addictive effects on its users.'

This struck me as odd. Why would the addiction warning be specific to those with heart problems?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

This struck me as odd. Why would the addiction warning be specific to those with heart problems?

I was curious so I googled "chia addiction". When the most authoritative site on page 1 is LiveStrong, you know it's not good. But the LiveStrong article did mention a potential heart issue. Not with addiction, just with chia.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/155988-negative-health-effects-of-chia-seeds/
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    Seriously?? I add them to my whole foods smoothie and it sits overnight to become a luscious texture. I'm addicted to my breakfast smoothies.

I put Chia seeds in my smoothies and I too am addicted to my breakfast smoothies!! I was addicted to them long before I started put Chia in it!! Glad to hear I am not the only smoothie addict!!! lol
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options

I was curious so I googled "chia addiction". When the most authoritative site on page 1 is LiveStrong, you know it's not good. But the LiveStrong article did mention a potential heart issue. Not with addiction, just with chia.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/155988-negative-health-effects-of-chia-seeds/

And the article seemed to say that chia seeds worked to lower blood pressure (as well as reducing blood glucose) and the 'negative' effect was that your medication might be too strong so you might have to reduce or get rid of medication. This certainly needs medical supervision but I doubt most people on these meds would consider that a negative effect.

I love my chia!
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I grow chia....
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I grow chia....

You're gonna get people PMing you to hook them up... ;)
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I just had some chia seeds in my cereal and I don't feel anything out of the ordin---

OMG... a dragon just came out of my screen :open_mouth:
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have chia pudding every day for breakfast and my friend Fred the purple monkey says I haven't been acting any differently...