Anyone been able to get off Statin's with good diet/exercise?

I am almost 47 and have genetically high blood pressure and have been on meds since my 20's - long before I had weight issues. I am now about 80 lbs over weight on a 5'2" frame and my dr. did a new lipid test on me where they check for actual ldl particle counts (slightly different than the regular cholesterol tests) and mine came back extremely dangerously high (2,400!) -- way off even the highest chart. Basically I am in a 95% risk level to have a cardiac event within the next 3 years with my ldl-particle count being so high!!

He put me on statins, which I have been on a month now. About that exact same time, I cut out all processed junk, sugars, saturated fats, cholesterol intake and trans fats and have lost 15 lbs. I asked my dr if I lost all this excess weight can I stop statins and he basically said no - that my body just makes too much cholesterol for my particle count to be that high and the **only** thing that will bring that and keep that down is statins. I'm not 100% convinced that is correct, but ok right now I am taking them.

I have read horrible, horrible stuff about statins - long term effects and side effects - and am experiencing some of the side effects already and am now taking 1/2 dose, every other day (just as effective according to numerous medical research). Although heart disease, heart attack and strokes do run in my family, high cholesterol never has so I guess I want to believe my issues are due to my fat and if I remove that, I can come off statins. I am also a female - and I have not found much research at all about females on statins, other than post-menapausal women having a huge increase in odds of developing cancer or diabetes from statin use -- in addition to the other horrible side effects.

I'm not looking for people to tell me "just stop" and eat healthy and exercise -- I am doing that already. Has anyone ever been overweight and on statins and come off them because you lost weight and got healthy?

Thanks,

Replies

• Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    noneya2010 wrote: »
    am now taking 1/2 dose, every other day (just as effective according to numerous medical research).

Did your Doctor recommend that?

Is that a typo for your LDL level-2400? I didn't think LDL could be in the thousands as above 190 is considered very high.

To answer your question, yes you can, but get your levels within a reasonable range first and then discuss with your doctor a plan to get off of them.

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    My dad did. He turned into a completely different person though. Total dedication.
    Some sams clubs give free cholesterol tests quarterly. Pretty accurate for total cholesterol. This can help if you only get your doctor tests once a year. Plus it can motivate you.
    Heart disease is still the number one killer of women. Take care of that ticker.
    *He was taking co-q-10 while on statins.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Cholesterol only changes about 10% with diet and exercise. Unless your number is incorrect, there isn't a way you can even think to bring your LDL down by any significant amount. Double check those cholesterol numbers when you get your next blood work done. Maybe you are the exception. Medicine's effect on the body is not 100% (no drug works 100% of the time), so you never know, maybe you can get off of it. Medical studies only show that it is highly improbable.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Have you cleared this statin dosage with your doctor? I really hope you didn't decrease it on your own.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    edited February 2016
    wkwebby wrote: »
    Cholesterol only changes about 10% with diet and exercise.

What? Where did you get this from? I can speak from personal experience that this is not the case. In fact, the guidance on giving statins has changed for those only in "High." My doctor has continuing recommended not for me to go on statins as my levels have been going down with diet and exercise alone, from Very High to now High, but close to borderline.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    edited February 2016
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    wkwebby wrote: »
    Cholesterol only changes about 10% with diet and exercise.

What? Where did you get this form? I can speak from personal experience that this is not the case. In fact, the guidance on giving statins has changed for those only in "High." My doctor has continuing recommended not for me to go on statins as my levels have been going down with diet and exercise alone, from Very High to now High, but close to borderline.

I will qualify it to say when your LDL levels are overly high like in the original post. This is also assuming that the LDL was correct. I used to sell statins (I no longer do).
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited February 2016
    There is a lot of disagreement about the benefits of statins and the risks of high cholesterol. The only thing for sure is that they are highly profitable for the pharmaceutical companies.

Personally I believe they are only beneficial to a very small percentage of the people taking them. You might be in that small percentage, might not.

It is possible to accomplish large gains with diet and behavior modification. I suggest you continue your quest for knowledge and at the same time get very dogmatic about making the needed changes.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited February 2016
    A year ago I was taking 20 mil. of Crestor a day. Lost 60 pounds, weight training 3X per week, walking 5 miles or more 6X week and eating a heart healthy/diabetic diet. My doctor discontinued my Crestor 3 months ago. At my last blood tests a month ago my cholesterol had gone up but not dangerously, we are monitoring.
    ETA: That said I was where you are in age and weight, had slightly elevated blood pressure, family history of heart disease, and high cholesterol that I treated rather carelessly when I suffered 3 devastating, life changing strokes. Take the drug until the Doctor says otherwise, please!
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    edited February 2016
    Call it hooey or whatever, but I started on soursop leaves tea.

My body naturally makes too much cholesterol. My HDL to LDL is pretty good, close to 1:1, which means my HDL is very high.
    Even when i was running ~6miles every other day and not eating a lot of junk and was thinner, my total wouldn't be lower than 295, w/out statins.
    I did start on statins and got my cholesterol down to 200.
    But I didn't want to stay on it so I made an agreement w/ the doc: let me try it again.
    So this time I:
    - got off statin: my starting number this time was ?299?
    - started the 5:2 FAST diet (eat low calories for 2 days, normal the other 5 days)
    - started drinking tea made from soursop leaves from Jamaica.
    - and continued working out like normal: 1-4 times a week lifting weights/some Zumba.
    And I dropped 50 points!!! My number was 250 w/out drugs!!!
    I think I only lost 4pounds.

So I fought my doctor and said I'm giving this tea a try, so that I don't have to stay on Statins.
    I need to get an update testing.

I learned about the soursop from my friend whose father lives in Jamaica and grows soursop. He would make the tea and w/out even changing anything else (like his diet or workouts), his cholesterol went down.
    So he gave it to his son/my friend to drink every so often and HIS cholesterol went down.
    I said to myself, why not give it a try.

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT SELL SOURSOP TEA. I AM NOT IN THAT INDUSTRY.
    DO NOT DO ANYTHING WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT.
    Don't listen to me, who you don't know.

I just wanted to share something for you to consider.
    I never knew until my friend told me about it.

Amanda
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Yes.
  • MelaniaTrump
    edited February 2016
    My dad also got a Vitamix. Power greens every day in it. Again, total dedication, can be done.
    That 10% statistic could very well be that few people can achieve what he achieved.
    He has not touched fast food of any kind for over a year. Not enjoyable he says.
    Books on how to lower cholesterol all over the house.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    noneya2010 wrote: »
    am now taking 1/2 dose, every other day (just as effective according to numerous medical research).

Did your Doctor recommend that?

Is that a typo for your LDL level-2400? I didn't think LDL could be in the thousands as above 190 is considered very high.

To answer your question, yes you can, but get your levels within a reasonable range first and then discuss with your doctor a plan to get off of them.

Yes my dr. told me to do that due to the side effects I'm having. Yes, my ldl particle count is 2,400 - that is NOT a typo. LDL particle counts are not the same as the standard LDL cholesterol number.
  • noneya2010
    edited February 2016
    The LDL particle count is a different test than the standard total cholesterol tests most docs do. Here is a good explanation. Even people with "normal" cholesterol total levels can have very high LDL particles - this is why some with perfect cholesterol numbers are still having heart attacks. My total cholesterol is not that far out of line -- it is my particle counts that are dangerous.

Measurements of lipids levels in blood are frequently used to assess the risk of future heart disease. The most commonly used measurements are total cholesterol, triglycerides and high density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) . These numbers are then used to calculate low density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C), which has been found to be strongly correlated with the risk of heart disease.

Recently measurements of atherogenic lipoprotein particles, such as LDL-P (LDL particle number), apolipoprotein B and lipoprotein(a) have been found to be very useful to assess risk.

LDL-P measures the actual number of LDL particles (particle concentration). LDL-P may be a stronger predictor of cardiovascular events than LDL-C. Low LDL-P is a much stronger predictor of low risk than low LDL-C. In fact, about 30 – 40% of those with low LDL-C may have elevated LDL-P. Therefore you can have low LDL-C but still be at risk for heart disease, particularly if your LDL-P is elevated. Discordance is considered present if LDL-C differs from LDL-P.

LDL-C is a measure of the cholesterol mass within LDL-particles. LDL-C only indirectly reflects the atherogenic potential of LDL particles. Apolipoprotein B (apoB) and LDL-P on the other hand reflect the number of atherogenic particles, with no mention of cholesterol mass. ApoB and LDL-P are believed to be better risk predictors than LDL-C.

Many recent studies have looked into the importance of LDL-particle size. Studies show that people whose LDL particles are predominantly small and dense, have a threefold greater risk of coronary heart disease. Furthermore, the large and fluffy type of LDL may be protective.

Sometimes it is difficult to understand the difference between LDL-C and LDL-P and how particle size comes into the picture. It is quite likely that LDL particle number and size will be used more often in the future to assess risk.
  • MelaniaTrump
    edited February 2016
    I am curious as to what your total cholesterol number is. Also your HDL.
    I have never been tested like you have. 50's here.
    I guess my insurance won't cover it unless it's medically needed.
  • fuselighter
    fuselighter Posts: 40 Member

Insurance should cover cholesterol testing, and I believe it's commonly done if you go for a physical. If they don't cover a cholesterol panel you could try donating blood. I gave blood recently and they sent the total cholesterol about 1-2 weeks later (they did not send HDL and LDL numbers).
  • blazincajun
    blazincajun Posts: 19 Member
    noneya2010.

Yes you can get off statins. I used to take a 40mg pravostatin and one day my LDL-C was zero. Got off those things right away. I had a similar test done "Berkeley Particle Test". I have a family history CAD. Been fit and not too over weight. Ran over 2,000 miles last year. Been trying to lose about 12 lbs. About 4 months before the test I had cut out fried chicken, processed foods, and extra sugars that are not found naturally in fruit and vegetables. Also, I eat 4-5 cans of tuna/week, eat low carb, eat eggs, cheese, and meats even if they have saturated fat. Eating fats and protein keep me from getting hungry - stay away from anything low fat because it usually contains extra sugar and doesn't curb your hunger at all. Bam - the weight came off. I'm 5'8" and 144 lbs.

You are right about the LDL-C - those measurements are just junk. Folks are still having infarctions even with low LDL-C. My doctor only wants to control the lipoprotein (a). The inflamation markers are also important. Currently I have no high blood pressure, good BMI, and a resting HR of 44. I also had a nuclear stress test and it was negative. Here are my numbers:

Lipid Panel Lab:
    CHOLESTEROL, TOTAL mg/dL 209, Moderate Risk.
    HDL CHOLESTEROL mg/dL 100, Optimal.
    TRIGLYCERIDES mg/dL 37, Optimal.
    LDL-CHOLESTEROL mg/dL 102, Moderate Risk.
    CHOL/HDLC RATIO calc 2.1, Optimal.
    NON-HDL CHOLESTEROL mg/dL 109, Optimal.
    DIRECT LDL mg/dL 106, Moderate Risk.

Lipoprotein Subfractions Lab:
    LDL PARTICLE NUMBER nmol/L 973. Optimal.
    LDL SMALL nmol/L 150, Optimal.
    LDL MEDIUM nmol/L 151, Optimal.
    HDL LARGE nmol/L 7029, Moderate Risk.

Apolipoproteins:
    Apolipoprotein B mg/dL 75, Optimal.
    Lipoprotein(a) nmol/L 131, High Risk - genetic marker.

Inflamation.
    HS CRP mg/dL 0.2, Optimal.
    LP PLA2 ng/mL 154, Optimal.
  • Roxie65
    Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
    My cholesterol has been over 200 for the last five years but because I exercise and eat fairly well my doctor won't put me on medication says it family related and she isn't worried about it.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010.

Yes you can get off statins. I used to take a 40mg pravostatin and one day my LDL-C was zero. Got off those things right away. I had a similar test done "Berkeley Particle Test". I have a family history CAD. Been fit and not too over weight. Ran over 2,000 miles last year. Been trying to lose about 12 lbs. About 4 months before the test I had cut out fried chicken, processed foods, and extra sugars that are not found naturally in fruit and vegetables. Also, I eat 4-5 cans of tuna/week, eat low carb, eat eggs, cheese, and meats even if they have saturated fat. Eating fats and protein keep me from getting hungry - stay away from anything low fat because it usually contains extra sugar and doesn't curb your hunger at all. Bam - the weight came off. I'm 5'8" and 144 lbs.

You are right about the LDL-C - those measurements are just junk. Folks are still having infarctions even with low LDL-C. My doctor only wants to control the lipoprotein (a). The inflamation markers are also important. Currently I have no high blood pressure, good BMI, and a resting HR of 44. I also had a nuclear stress test and it was negative. Here are my numbers:

Lipid Panel Lab:
    CHOLESTEROL, TOTAL mg/dL 209, Moderate Risk.
    HDL CHOLESTEROL mg/dL 100, Optimal.
    TRIGLYCERIDES mg/dL 37, Optimal.
    LDL-CHOLESTEROL mg/dL 102, Moderate Risk.
    CHOL/HDLC RATIO calc 2.1, Optimal.
    NON-HDL CHOLESTEROL mg/dL 109, Optimal.
    DIRECT LDL mg/dL 106, Moderate Risk.

Lipoprotein Subfractions Lab:
    LDL PARTICLE NUMBER nmol/L 973. Optimal.
    LDL SMALL nmol/L 150, Optimal.
    LDL MEDIUM nmol/L 151, Optimal.
    HDL LARGE nmol/L 7029, Moderate Risk.

Apolipoproteins:
    Apolipoprotein B mg/dL 75, Optimal.
    Lipoprotein(a) nmol/L 131, High Risk - genetic marker.

Inflamation.
    HS CRP mg/dL 0.2, Optimal.
    LP PLA2 ng/mL 154, Optimal.

Thanks for the input! This is great to know. My dr. did the Barkley's test too. First time I've ever had it. My total ldl-particles are very high (2,400) and my small ldl particles are high at 1,400 (500 would be optimal). I have researched so many medical studies the past month and it seems like if I get my ldl particle overall count down, the small will come down too -- although small particles are mostly genetic and not considered harmful IF other markers come into line where they need to be. My inflammation marker was high - at just over 7 - but other lipid markers didn't show any indication of build up and my lp(a) marker was optimal. I've long suspected I have inflammatory issues so hopefully diet will help this also. I'm not eating any refined carbs and mostly following low carb but I have been watching my saturated intake so I did cut out eggs, red meats for the most part and added in salmon. I like tuna so that is a good option I could add. Cut out all bacon - including turkey too. :( And I'm exercising at least 30 minutes a day (walking right now until I get a little more weight off and then I'll add in weights.

So this is good to know - thanks a lot! I've been more stressed out about being on a statin when people are saying once you take them you can never stop; yet research indicates alot of people quit them after a year due to side effects. So it's good to know there is hope I can get off them later on!

Thanks - appreciate your response!
  • noneya2010

I didn't get the total this last time - just the particles and other lipids. However, I will say that my total cholesterol through the years, even last year, was at the very top end of "normal".

Next time you go to the dr., just ask them to draw the lipid panel for the particle count, etc. I think it's a fairly newer standard test that dr.'s can order and insurance pays for. I honestly had never heard of it. I thought they were checking my regular cholesterol...
  • blazincajun
    blazincajun Posts: 19 Member
    There is new research about diet cholesterol - I won't tell you what it is. I think you will really learn something if you research this yourself.This is a lifestyle both you and I have to embrace. Think of being around for your loved ones and how wonderful it will feel when you bend down to tie your shoes every day. Exercising regularly really helps. Hang in there and don't give up. Andrew