Desk Jobs (help)

Options
124»

Replies

• FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! All of these are great and I have probably gotten up just to "go to the bathroom" a million times in an hour. This morning I did decide to get up at 4:15 to work out from 4:30-5:30, shower and get to work on time. And I actually feel much better about that. I'm more of a morning person anyway so this will be better for me in the long run. I'll just have to cut the night life short. :) I've worked out consistently for 5 years, and during that time I've gone to extremes to stay fit and healthy, and this was just a little rut in the road.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Okay listen. I am over 200 pounds and work a highly active job. By the time I get home I've walked around 14k steps and done a lot of bending and lifting. I still add extra ,when I can, by walking part of the way home or at least to the bust stop that is a block or two further away. I usually get home from work around 4:15 pm. Three nights out of the week I have just 2 hours to take a break make dinner, and relax before I am back out the door for 2 hours of martial arts training. Then it's back home and straight to bed to get up and do it again tomorrow.

Yes sometimes I am really beat and just not feeling like going back out. especially when my knees are really bugging me and it is cold outside. But I do it anyway. I the past year I have missed just one class and that was because I spent the previous day doing 4 hours of martial arts at a seminar in another state.

If I can find the energy so can you. You just have to push past that energy dump. The suggestion to stop at the gym on your way home is an excellent one. That way you never get the chance to get comfortable on the couch.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! All of these are great and I have probably gotten up just to "go to the bathroom" a million times in an hour. This morning I did decide to get up at 4:15 to work out from 4:30-5:30, shower and get to work on time. And I actually feel much better about that. I'm more of a morning person anyway so this will be better for me in the long run. I'll just have to cut the night life short. :) I've worked out consistently for 5 years, and during that time I've gone to extremes to stay fit and healthy, and this was just a little rut in the road.

If you have energy for a night life, then you have energy to work out at night. It's starting to sound like it's more of a mental block in the evenings that you have. I totally get it. I'm the same way, which is why I have to force myself to get it done in the morning. Good job this morning!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    We have a gym in our office building, so that's very helpful.
    Good meal planning, going for a walk at lunch, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, etc.
    Also, go from work straight to the gym. Do not go home and sit on the couch, or you're done for the night.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My Life: M-Th 8:30-530 F-8:30-3 (workdays) I have a 3 yr old and 13yr old. Don't make it home until 7p M-Thur; I have potty training, story time, homework to check, dinner, bath-time, mail, cleanup and of course hugs and kisses to do all before 9:30p, but I still get a workout of 30min HIIT on M-W, Thursday off for class and Fri-Su 30 min HIIT. It can be done...lol

Side note: I do get up to take a lap around the 3rd floor at least 5 times a day and use the bathroom further away. My breaks (15min) I take standing up or laps on my phone...
  • donutbears
    donutbears Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Once you get used to your schedule you won't be crashing at 5 pm any more. Work out before/after work, take a walk break during the day, park further away if you drive, always take the stairs, pack healthy meals for yourself.
  • Tokye1
    Tokye1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I bought a deskcycle. On amazon. So amazing. I sit here and cycle all day and love it.
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Also by nightlife, I meant watching tv on the couch and talking with my roommates. I drink alcohol in moderation. Sorry, I should have clarified that!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Depending on your work schedule, and building you can do something like what I do to at least get you out of your seat

- Break 1 - Walk around the building (about 0.3 miles)
    - 1:00 Hr Lunch - Walk as far as I can in 25 minutes, turn around, and walk back
    - Break 2 - Walk around the building again

Combined with the amount I already have to walk around the office for the day, I generally can tack on about three extra miles.
  • Jnoecker
    Jnoecker Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to get a stand up desk for your work station? Walk at lunch.

Good Luck!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

I work 8 hour days in an office and have a three-hour commute to and from! I feel your pain. I suggest eating very healthy - try to get to the gym before work. I know it seems tough (I wake up at 5AM and hit the gym for 2-hours, shower and then head to work) but it is much better than attempting to go after work when all you want to do is go home and crash. If you can't make it to the gym, at least stretch, walk or hula hoop around the house to increase circulation in your legs. I suggest snacking light throughout the day (I eat at 9AM, 1PM, 4PM, 6PM and 9PM) to keep your metabolism going, and drink lots of water to encourage movement (even if it's just a walk to the bathroom).
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I get up early every day to work out before going in to work. If I can't for some reason, I work out over lunch. If that fails, I make myself do it right after work (though I am tired too and hate it). If that doesn't work out, then I do it late in the evening before bed. Make working out a priority and find time. Fit in extra exercise during the day taking short walks around the building, taking stairs, etc. It all adds up. Make sure your weekend workouts are great if you're cutting your workouts during the week short. I know it sucks to get up early, but this has to be a priority for you. You'll feel better!
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of studies out now about "sitting is the new smoking" (someone may have already commented- I didn't read all the comments here yet!)- but as a desk jobber, I make sure I am up and walking at least once an hour (sometimes every 30-40 minutes depending on where I'm at with work). I make sure I move during the day- ie: walks to the bathroom, walks to the printer, taking longer routes to offices, etc. I sneak it all in and wear a tracker too, which helps motivate me to earn more steps.

On days I don't make the effort, I'm lucky to get in 4000 steps. On days I make the extra effort, I get 6000. So every bit helps!

And as others have said here, I try to get walks during breaks and lunch hour.

If you look up that "sitting is the new smoking" phrase you'll find the info on it and how some studies are saying that an hour at the gym doesn't negate 6-8 hours of sitting. So i hope this motivates you!