Rice or Mashed Potatoes??

Options
2»

Replies

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    potato..most versatile food, can be cooked in every way and almost a blank canvas for flavor.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    the potatoes are better for you

How so?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Wild rice is not a rice but a grass seed. It has a nice nutrition profile. Because of it's expense, I often add a tablespoon to my regular rice so I get the benefits of both.

It's amazingly delicious too. I recommend it if it fits the budget.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    DawnReid04 wrote: »
    If you had to choose one which would it be?

Depends on the meal. I like them both, so sometimes I'd pick one, sometimes the other. Tonight it was rice and wasabi peas with flank steak, grilled onions and mushrooms.

Sometimes I like mashed cauliflower instead of either of them - it's even lower yet in calories and most people wouldn't know the difference between it and mashed potatoes if you served it with a meal. Very tasty.

DawnReid04 wrote: »
    Which one is better for you (ie. lower cal, fat, carb)

I don't look at individual foods as being "good" or "bad" - I consider the context of the entire diet and try to be balanced and varied while staying within my calories and macros. Fat isn't bad for you and carbs aren't bad for you, in appropriate amounts within the context of an overall balanced diet. Neither of them are "bad" and either one can be "better" according to what you feel like eating, how many calories you have left for the day, etc.
  • DawnReid04
    DawnReid04 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    @AnvilHead thank you so much for your information.. and your meal sounds very yummy!!! I have tried cauliflower as a cheese sauce in mac and cheese to trick my kids into eating veggies and i wouldnt even eat it but i would love to try it as a mashed potatoes version.. thanks for that idea :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    As a child I loved mashing my cauliflower into my mashed potatoes. Who would have thought such things as mashed cauliflower would be a trend. One of my all time favourite veg. With cheese sauce and roast potatoes, yum.

Sorry for the cauliflower drool.

@DawnReid04 I rotate potato, rice and pasta just for variety. Potatoes are my favourite. Baked, boiled, mashed, roasted, oven fries. Not a big chip (French fry) fan.

My dinner is usually 100g of meat or fish, 100g pasta, potato, or rice, and as much veg as I want. It seems to balance out well for me.

Cheers, h.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Personally I find it much easier to overeat potatoes, particularly when mashed, than rice

100g rice is sufficient when my meal is bulked up with protein and vegetables

And yet 100g mash looks less, higher calories and let's face it even 1kg of soft buttery mashed potato is still not enough

So both, within calories ..but judge based on which you won't overeat cos it's there
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Potatoes with their skin are packed with nutrition. One potato had half of your RDA of vitamin C and 6% iron. Love them. They are super healthy.