First time in a gym.... Ever

Options
Hello everyone! My employer just purchased a gym membership for employees. - This is both exciting and terrifying for me.
The truth is, I've never been to a gym.
Well, actually I did go ONCE and it was the most horrible thing I have ever experienced. According to others, the personal trainer that I had for that one visit, pushed me too hard. I ended up having to call out at work the next day because I literally could not move. Not a simple matter of "it hurt to move", but I was completely bed ridden for 2 days after that experience. - I know that you are supposed to be sore the day after, maybe even to the point of not wanting to move, but that was not the case. It was much worse and I told myself that I would NEVER do that again.

Back to the actual point of my post. Since I have decided to be a healthier me, I chose to take up the offer for a free gym membership. Eating healthier is definitely working (I lost 19 pounds in 1 month by simply eating better), but I know that actual exercise is just as important and will help tremendously. My question for you all is:
What tips do you have for a beginner in the gym? Specifically for the first time?

Please keep in mind that I really don't know anything about the equipment, the different weight training stuff, etc.
Yes, I know that I can Google and get a lot of information, but what better way to learn than to ask the people who have first hand experience and read it straight from the source?
Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jared

Replies

• sventheviking
    sventheviking Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    To get into strength training I would first find someone to coach you on what most consider the 5 core movements
    Squats
    Bench
    Deadlift
    Overhead press
    Bent over row

These are the bread and butter of any reputable program. Hiring someone to coach you into learning these may seem crazy but unless you have a meathead pal who is a decent coach too this is a smart move.

After that my best recommendation is to google a program known as the Greyskull LP
    Start with the empty barbell and add weight from there.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Here's a great article from a respected trainer laying out three different beginner programs and discussing how to start out correctly so you don't end up crippled for two days like last time (the trainer who did that to you was an idiot, by the way): bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html

Here's an excerpt from the article about starting out, and I agree 100% with it:
    Where to Start?

As I discussed in Beginning Weight Training Part 3, beginners not only should start with light weights and a relatively low volume but will make rather significant strength gains from doing only that. Which brings up a question about starting weights and what to begin with. While I have seen various systems that gave specific suggestions for starting weights (e.g. squat with 1/2 body weight or whatever), I don’t think they are a good idea for total beginners. Because even if they represent some reasonable average of where to start, they can’t possibly represent everyone.

And, since I tend to be rather conservative in a lot of things, I always believe in erring on the side of too little than too much. You have little to lose and everything to gain and it generally doesn’t work in the opposite direction. Basically, if you start too light, you can always add weight over the first couple of workouts (or even first couple of sets of that first workout if more than one are being done). Start too heavy and things go wrong fast; the person might get injured, or they get so sore that they never come back to the gym or they simply have their form go down the toilet which is demoralizing (which also might drive them out of the gym).

So where to start? Even that depends and what I’d start with for a young male would be very different than for an older female. In the first case, starting with a 45 lb bar for a bench press might be appropriate. For a female a 45 lb bar might be far beyond what she has any chance of lifting and I often started beginner females with 5 lbs per hand on DB bench press or on the lowest setting for the chest press. But, again, this is very context dependent. Age, gender and whether or not the person has a competent coach all feed into this.

I’d note that in some cases, going too light can be detrimental to proper technique. I’ve found that some trainees simply have trouble ‘feeling’ what’s going on when things are too light (e.g. a young male might find that squatting with just the bar is harder than squatting with some weight). In that case, adding weight until they can feel what is happening is necessary but the weight may not be increased very much beyond that initially.
  • jgilli3
    jgilli3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is a website called bodybuilding.com it has great exercise charts to show you how to do each exercise. It also has professional personal trainers, bodybuilders who have made and gone through programs. There are multiple programs for each gym skill level. All you have to do is find one. Most of them are around 12 weeks in length and give you a day by day program of what exercises to do, how to do them and rest times. They also include things on nutrition, form, progression. Might be something that you may want to look into. Hopefully this helps. Good luck
  • VeraWatkins1
    VeraWatkins1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It depends on what part of the body you want to focus on. Once you decided...then you can ask someone in the gym. Take it slowly and easy. Don't try to go so fast.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Here's a great article from a respected trainer laying out three different beginner programs and discussing how to start out correctly so you don't end up crippled for two days like last time (the trainer who did that to you was an idiot, by the way): bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html

Here's an excerpt from the article about starting out, and I agree 100% with it:
    Where to Start?

As I discussed in Beginning Weight Training Part 3, beginners not only should start with light weights and a relatively low volume but will make rather significant strength gains from doing only that. Which brings up a question about starting weights and what to begin with. While I have seen various systems that gave specific suggestions for starting weights (e.g. squat with 1/2 body weight or whatever), I don’t think they are a good idea for total beginners. Because even if they represent some reasonable average of where to start, they can’t possibly represent everyone.

And, since I tend to be rather conservative in a lot of things, I always believe in erring on the side of too little than too much. You have little to lose and everything to gain and it generally doesn’t work in the opposite direction. Basically, if you start too light, you can always add weight over the first couple of workouts (or even first couple of sets of that first workout if more than one are being done). Start too heavy and things go wrong fast; the person might get injured, or they get so sore that they never come back to the gym or they simply have their form go down the toilet which is demoralizing (which also might drive them out of the gym).

So where to start? Even that depends and what I’d start with for a young male would be very different than for an older female. In the first case, starting with a 45 lb bar for a bench press might be appropriate. For a female a 45 lb bar might be far beyond what she has any chance of lifting and I often started beginner females with 5 lbs per hand on DB bench press or on the lowest setting for the chest press. But, again, this is very context dependent. Age, gender and whether or not the person has a competent coach all feed into this.

I’d note that in some cases, going too light can be detrimental to proper technique. I’ve found that some trainees simply have trouble ‘feeling’ what’s going on when things are too light (e.g. a young male might find that squatting with just the bar is harder than squatting with some weight). In that case, adding weight until they can feel what is happening is necessary but the weight may not be increased very much beyond that initially.

This is a great series. I second the suggestion to read this.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    It depends on what part of the body you want to focus on. Once you decided...then you can ask someone in the gym. Take it slowly and easy. Don't try to go so fast.

As a beginner I suggest full body until you build up your base strength and then maybe doing a body part split program
  • jsurrette
    jsurrette Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll definitely be checking it out.
    In the spirit of accountability, I can't place full blame on the trainer. I knew I was past my limit and should have stopped. Partial blame on him seeing as he was the professional and kept pushing. I definitely regret it, even to this day. That was probably 6 years ago and my arms still aren't the same. I've had pain and movement issues since that day.
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Where to Start?

• jsurrette
    Options
    Thank you! I'll make note of that. Not sure hiring someone is in the cards at the moment, but will do what I can go get what I want/need.
    To get into strength training I would first find someone to coach you on what most consider the 5 core movements
    Squats
    Bench
    Deadlift
    Overhead press
    Bent over row

These are the bread and butter of any reputable program. Hiring someone to coach you into learning these may seem crazy but unless you have a meathead pal who is a decent coach too this is a smart move.

After that my best recommendation is to google a program known as the Greyskull LP
    Start with the empty barbell and add weight from there.

• jsurrette
    Options
    Thanks! Trust me, someone I'm my condition finds any information helpful!
    jgilli3 wrote: »
    There is a website called bodybuilding.com it has great exercise charts to show you how to do each exercise. It also has professional personal trainers, bodybuilders who have made and gone through programs. There are multiple programs for each gym skill level. All you have to do is find one. Most of them are around 12 weeks in length and give you a day by day program of what exercises to do, how to do them and rest times. They also include things on nutrition, form, progression. Might be something that you may want to look into. Hopefully this helps. Good luck

• jsurrette
    Options
    With where I stand at this moment, I want to focus on full body. I think I learned my lesson about going too hard too fast!

• jsurrette
    Options
    I definitely agree. My body is pretty much mush right now, so building up a foundation is going to be necessary in order to build anything.

As a beginner I suggest full body until you build up your base strength and then maybe doing a body part split program

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    How big of a gym is it? Does it have a cardio area that overlooks the weights areas? Any gym should start you with a simple tour. Sometimes they also offer a free overview of how to use each weight machine. Those can be less intimidating than the free weights.

If not and you're intimidated, I would first find a simple treadmill and walk and observe others for a while. Then when you're ready, try a few weights machines. They should have a diagram on them showing what they're for. Maybe try a few more machines each time. Just do say 3 sets of 10 reps, at a challenging weight. When you've been several times and are really comfortable with the place, then start using the free weights. Maybe start with just dumbbells at first. Observe others around you and add new tools each time you go. Soon it'll all seem familiar.

And go slow! Take rest days. Good job on your success so far and for taking this next step!
  • JScottBldrs
    JScottBldrs Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    For what its worth I would learn to use the cardio machines first before I venture into the weight areas. Start slow and walk on the treadmill for a while then maybe start running or do the elliptical or the bike. Rowing machines are good also. When you are comfortable with these then start some weight training. I think fitness trainers overtrain new poeple all the time. Good luck and get moving
  • jsurrette
    Options
    Thanks so much for the feedback!
    It isn't a very big gym at all. From what I saw when I went in to get my access card, all the cardio machines face the opposite direction as the weights, so I may just have to stalk a little bit LOL.
    I was really hoping for a tour and I am sure if I go in while the owner is there, I would get one. The employee that signed me up yesterday was less than friendly and only had interest in showing me how to get in the door after hours then going back to chat with the other guy that was there. - Sadly, it came across as them speaking negatively about one of my employees that happened to be there busting her butt, which definitely didn't help my gym-timidation. Maybe it was just me and since I don't know for sure, so I just brushed it off as me being a little sensitive.
    How big of a gym is it? Does it have a cardio area that overlooks the weights areas? Any gym should start you with a simple tour. Sometimes they also offer a free overview of how to use each weight machine. Those can be less intimidating than the free weights.

If not and you're intimidated, I would first find a simple treadmill and walk and observe others for a while. Then when you're ready, try a few weights machines. They should have a diagram on them showing what they're for. Maybe try a few more machines each time. Just do say 3 sets of 10 reps, at a challenging weight. When you've been several times and are really comfortable with the place, then start using the free weights. Maybe start with just dumbbells at first. Observe others around you and add new tools each time you go. Soon it'll all seem familiar.

And go slow! Take rest days. Good job on your success so far and for taking this next step!

• jsurrette
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing. Maybe a week of the cardio machines before moving to the weight machines, then learning to do free weights.

Thanks for your feedback!
    For what its worth I would learn to use the cardio machines first before I venture into the weight areas. Start slow and walk on the treadmill for a while then maybe start running or do the elliptical or the bike. Rowing machines are good also. When you are comfortable with these then start some weight training. I think fitness trainers overtrain new poeple all the time. Good luck and get moving

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Too many trainers take a 6-week online course, get a piece of paper, then totter off to try to train others. It makes those who really are great trainers look really bad, unfortunately.
    As for what to do in the gym, you need to decide what you want to get out of it.
    Are you just concerned with losing weight right now? No problem, focus on cardio. Keep trying machines until you find one you like. I'm fond of the elliptical myself.
    Wanna lift weights? That's cool, too. Look up a good program, there are lots of them. Make sure you understand good form before you start lifting. YouTube is great for that.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    jsurrette wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the feedback!
    It isn't a very big gym at all. From what I saw when I went in to get my access card, all the cardio machines face the opposite direction as the weights, so I may just have to stalk a little bit LOL.
    I was really hoping for a tour and I am sure if I go in while the owner is there, I would get one. The employee that signed me up yesterday was less than friendly and only had interest in showing me how to get in the door after hours then going back to chat with the other guy that was there. - Sadly, it came across as them speaking negatively about one of my employees that happened to be there busting her butt, which definitely didn't help my gym-timidation. Maybe it was just me and since I don't know for sure, so I just brushed it off as me being a little sensitive.

Brushing it off is a good attitude. Remind yourself what other people think of us is none of our business. Though if it's a recurring issue and you're not just being over-sensitive I would mention it to the owner, I'm sure he'd want to know. That really unprofessional.

Is it like an Anytime Fitness you can go in 24/7? Sometimes it's nice to find the hours when you can be the only one there and then it's not intimidating to try some new things. I know they have cameras but I doubt they watch footage unless there's some event like stolen machines or something. My Anytime Fitness was often empty on Sat. afternoons.

Good luck!
  • jsurrette
    Options
    After reading several articles, taking in your feedback and watching dozens of YouTube videos, I finally took the first step into the gym.
    I decided to go with 20 minutes of cardio, then full body workout with weight machines on a low weight setting. Trying to take it slow, I did 3 sets of 10 reps on quite a few of the machines. Luckily, I had two friends with me, so it wasn't too bad.
    I can definitely feel my muscles getting sore, but not nearly as bad as it was last time. Hopefully I can still say the same thing in the morning lol.

Thanks everyone!
    Still open to any additional opinions or suggestions. Feel free to keep them coming!
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Well done for getting in there and glad it went OK!