Disabled Vet looking for advice.

Options
synthetics931
synthetics931 Posts: 3 Member
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey everyone,

So I lost my lower legs (IED) while serving in the Army back in 2006.

I am trying really hard to lose some weight and get into some sort of work our routine. But I've never been a gym guy before, I was always super lean and staying fit in the Army was easy.

I'm looking for advice on stuff I can do at home, instead of going to the gym. And exercises that I can do without the use of my legs. (Squats, deadlifts, even push-ups are a no-go because of my legs.)

Thanks for reading, and keep being awesome. This community has been great so far, and I'm really happy I joined.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Weight loss is going to come mostly from diet. I have several friends who are in similar positions who still manage to squat, deadlift and do various other exercises (it took them years to figure out the best way to modify for them). Some of that will depend on whether it's above knee or below and would require a bit of modification.

There are tons of upper body things you can do. There are many body weight workouts like You Are Your Own Gym. Some things will require modification due to mobility, but you can easily get a great workout in at home.
  • wdf375
    wdf375 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Might be worth checking out the Inclusive Fitness Coalition. I don't have any personal experience with them, but they might have some contacts there that could help you get started. They have some veteran specific initiatives.

http://incfit.org
  • jan3h
    jan3h Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about searching on Youtube for upper body routines? There may be some workouts on there that would work for you, or you could modify. For advice on modifying leg work, I'd look for a personal trainer who has experience working with amputees. I first had personal training about two years ago when I was recovering from a heel injury and had trouble with exercises that took my weight through my feet.

All the best with it :-)
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to an occupational therapist? They can be great with adaptations for exercise. No reason you can't lift and an ot and pt working together can help you adapt to a functional technique.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Hi, retired USAF MSgt here; there are resources out there that should get you to the info you need; good stop is Wounded Warriors, http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org , check that out & see what you can find. If you have a VA office or hospital near to you, they may be able to advise you as well.

For weight loss, it's about the food, so I would put in your stats here, get your calorie data, & work on that; for training, until you can get more info, I would think at the very least, you would be able to use dumbells, & maybe try some Pilates.

Wish you all the best, hope that helps a bit!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I'd hope that VA covers physical therapy (Dad gets various things covered, others not :( ). I've had physio for months-long sessions for years for an upper body issue. It's really pretty fun, pain notwithstanding. They also use various techniques for pain which can be great. Best of luck!

Isolation exercises are often discouraged for regular lifters as non-optimal, but they've been crucial for me to modify due to my disability. They work great, really. Machines can be very helpful, too (physio gyms are so different than regular ones, btw). It's so supportive and understanding comparatively.

Folks on here shy away from giving specific suggestions when there's a disability, but let us know if you are like me and really independent that way. If there's no risk of further injury from trying out different things, why not give it a shot, imho? Safety is crucial, so I really would recommend taking a round of physio, though, so you know what to avoid for sure and key in on any imbalances. I'm sure you'll find a good fit if you keep on pushing. It's not rocket science but does take a lot of trial and error sometimes :grin: Don't push too far too fast. That's the big thing on your own (with knowledge given by pros)! Be smart. Building up slowly is usually the safest way, and it still works as you progress on your body's own terms. It's different, but I swear it's not inferior (except for the obvious limitations).
  • Annamarie3404
    Annamarie3404 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

So I lost my lower legs (IED) while serving in the Army back in 2006.

I am trying really hard to lose some weight and get into some sort of work our routine. But I've never been a gym guy before, I was always super lean and staying fit in the Army was easy.

I'm looking for advice on stuff I can do at home, instead of going to the gym. And exercises that I can do without the use of my legs. (Squats, deadlifts, even push-ups are a no-go because of my legs.)

Thanks for reading, and keep being awesome. This community has been great so far, and I'm really happy I joined.

Swimming is good. Do you have access to a pool?
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    http://www.disabled-world.com/fitness/exercise/
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/limited-mobility.asp
    Hi I'm disabled due to a muscular illness. These sites have different exercises for all kinds of different disabilities. Hope it helps :)