Why so much weight gain?

Options
About two years ago I was at 128, and totally felt good about it. I weighed myself yesterday and I am at 145! I'm 5'5 and would really like to weigh less, so it's a bit disappointing. It seems I put on 1-2 lbs every time I weigh in... I have been eating fairly normal- not amazingly well but better than before, (probably about 2200 cals/day) and I am training for a marathon so I'm running about 10-15 miles a week, going to the gym every single day. I am not really sure what happened...how did I gain all this? I got married recently and got on the birth control pill, but I can't imagine that having THAT much of an impact...are there any other factors I should consider? Thanks! :)

Replies

• tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    birth control pills are notorious for increasing your appetite and, for me anyway, it made me crave greasy fried nasty calorie rich foods. I gained a lot because of this.
  • ivylaurenolsen
    ivylaurenolsen Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    birth control pills are notorious for increasing your appetite and, for me anyway, it made me crave greasy fried nasty calorie rich foods. I gained a lot because of this.

Oh wow, I didn't think of that...thank you!
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You're eating too much. You say you think you are eating 2200 cal/ day, but how do you know? Do you weigh your food on a food scale?
  • ivylaurenolsen
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    You're eating too much. You say you think you are eating 2200 cal/ day, but how do you know? Do you weigh your food on a food scale?

No I don't...I try to keep track accurately but I probably don't exactly...you think that could explain almost 20 lbs?
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options

No I don't...I try to keep track accurately but I probably don't exactly...you think that could explain almost 20 lbs?

20 pounds over 2 years and birth control? Yeah, it could explain it.
  • janjunie
    Options

Yes! There is a video floating around here about visually estimating portion sizes and actually weighing portion sizes. It's eye opening...I'm on my phone right now, so not able to get it. Maybe someone will post it. Sorry I know that wasn't as helpful.
  • ivylaurenolsen
    Options

Yes! There is a video floating around here about visually estimating portion sizes and actually weighing portion sizes. It's eye opening...I'm on my phone right now, so not able to get it. Maybe someone will post it. Sorry I know that wasn't as helpful.

Oh no, that actually is very helpful. I'll try and find the video. Thank you!!
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options

Absolutely
  • janjunie
    Options
    @arditarose
    Thank you :smiley:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Finally bookmarked that sucker
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Here's another one. This one shows how the little errors add up quickly:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU
  • ivylaurenolsen
    Options

Thank you!!
  • ivylaurenolsen
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

So eye-opening! Thank you!

• trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options

That is scary!!!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

Do the math, and you're looking at less than 100 calories a day. With running, you might be farther off than that with calorie burns over time, even if you weigh your food.

Sometimes the human scale is the best way to be sure.