1200 calories a day + exercise

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Melmo1988 wrote: »
    And I think some people only eat half the calories back because they are worried the numbers are not accurate so they eat half to play it safe and not eat too much.

Yep, that's why I eat roughly half back. Just to be on the safe side.
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Makes sense. That's why when I log exercise I underestimate a bit just in case.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I walk for 2 hours a day and I only burn 300.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

What my doctor told me when I asked about 1200 + half my exercise calories was that it was fine as long as I'm in the 'obese' bmi category, but once I fall out of that, he wants me to go up to 1400. I've been losing about a pound a week, give or take. By most calculators, I'm seeing I fell out of 'obese' last week, but he said 165 pounds for me, so that's where I'm headed. Instead of listening to people on the boards who may or may not have your body type, experience, fitness level, etc, talk to your doctor about the changes that you're making and what's safe for you personally.

As to calories burned from walking, it really depends on how you're walking, your current weight and physical condition, speed, etc. It might be good to invest in a fitness tracker with a heart monitor so you can see what your true 'burn' is.
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    What my doctor told me when I asked about 1200 + half my exercise calories was that it was fine as long as I'm in the 'obese' bmi category, but once I fall out of that, he wants me to go up to 1400. I've been losing about a pound a week, give or take. By most calculators, I'm seeing I fell out of 'obese' last week, but he said 165 pounds for me, so that's where I'm headed. Instead of listening to people on the boards who may or may not have your body type, experience, fitness level, etc, talk to your doctor about the changes that you're making and what's safe for you personally.

As to calories burned from walking, it really depends on how you're walking, your current weight and physical condition, speed, etc. It might be good to invest in a fitness tracker with a heart monitor so you can see what your true 'burn' is.

I did have one and it told me I burned 1,037 calories in 75 minutes. I returned it because I don't think that's accurate and ordered a different one that I should get on wednesday.
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    I walk for 2 hours a day and I only burn 300.

How much do you weight? Because how much you burn depends on fitness level and weight and I just starting to get back into walking and I weight 234 so I'm obese.
  • lisa9805
    lisa9805 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting this. based on myself I should be eating abouy 300-800 more calories depending on my exercise lol I am also logged intp MFP as 1200 calories without exercise and often feel its not enough.
    leomakarov wrote: »
    Go here LINK and enter your info. Results may be more or less the same compared to MFP's, but there is a lot of other nice info. For #6, leave it at 20%.

With the numbers you gave, you should be around 1900 calories/day for a healthy weight loss.

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Ok so to answer everyone's questions:
    My walks are usually 90 minutes or so, I've been walking to the mall and yesterday I walked back to 75 mins each way, which is apparently about 4.1 km. Yesterday I walked back after. I also walk my daughter to and from school 2x a day. I am obese so I burn more calories than a normal weight person, and I also push my 30lb baby in a stroller. I'm also using mfp info when I log my walks. I used a watch that tells me how many calories I burn and it said 1,037 for a 75 min walk to I'm confident that 450 ish is pretty accurate.
    Also, my goal is 2lbs a week so that's 45 weeks, that's means dec5 is pretty reasonable.
    Mfp gave me the 1,200 calorie a day goal to lose 2lbs a week. I am 5'5.
    And yea I lost 75 lbs before while eating about 1,500 calories a day. I ended up gaining back the weight because I started binge eating after I found out my ex cheated on me plus some other stresses and it took years to stop.

"Apparently"? You need to know exactly what distance you are walking, because THAT will give you a more accurate idea of how many calories you are burning. Nothing can tell you that someone will burn X number of calories for a 75 minute walk That's absurd. 4.1 km = about 2.5 miles. The rule of thumb is 100 calories per mile (whether you walk or run it...it's within a few calories either way). Yes if you are obese, you will burn more. Use this calculator to see a close idea of what you may be burning.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calories_burned.htm
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    How am I supposed to know EXACTLY how far it was? I looked it up on google maps but I don't know if I followed the same route it was measured by.
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    And I don't care how absurd you think it is, I'm logging the numbers mfp gave me. Without a tracking device that's the best I can do.
  • Melmo1988
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ALSO...I logged it as 75 minutes at a speed of 3.0 so moderate speed. I didn't just log it as 75 mins of walking because obviously there is no way of knowing how fast which can affect calories burned.
    Edit to add, after using the link you gave me, it says I burn 386 calories per 75 mins of walking so those are basically the same numbers mfp gave me that you think are wrong
  • ruths19
    ruths19 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Is 1,200 net calories to low for anyone? That's the target MFP gave me when I wanted to lose 1lb a week. My maintenance calories would be around 1,600.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Go here LINK and enter your info. Results may be more or less the same compared to MFP's, but there is a lot of other nice info. For #6, leave it at 20%.

With the numbers you gave, you should be around 1900 calories/day for a healthy weight loss.

And is that 1,900 before or after exercise? Because if you mean after, Ive been consuming around 2,000 except today because I didn't exercise.

That's 1900 calories NET. Which means exercise included. So if you burn 800 calories / day walking, you'd have to consume roughly 2700 calories that day. I'm not sure where the idea of " only eat half of your exercise calories back". I'd like to see some info on that myself.

It comes from the idea that some of the calorie estimates here can be inflated. OP is logging some very large burns for the activity, it is questionable. To tell her to eat 1900 PLUS those 800 calories is crazy.

Also, scooby's calculator is a TDEE calculator - it INCLUDES exercise so it should be 1900 period, not net. 1900 flat for each day.
    OP is eating 2000 most days and 1200 some so she would actually be pretty close to that number when averaged over the week.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    And I don't care how absurd you think it is, I'm logging the numbers mfp gave me. Without a tracking device that's the best I can do.

OP -
    are you losing weight? At what rate?

If it is working, keep doing it. If it is not, adjust.

Even if you calorie burns are too high, you may be off setting it by eating 1200 on the other days. You could try eating a little lesss on your active days and a little more on your rest days (so you average the same amount over the week). Or keep doing what you are doing. If it stops working, you could try eating a little less of your exercise calories.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

With all due respect -

If you don't think that logging wildly inaccurate numbers is absurd I will say that you're not likely to have a lot of success using MFP to reach your goals.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    I just goggled to see how many calories a mile walked would burn. A 160lb person burns about 100 calories per mile. 4.1K is 2.5 miles. So 5 miles burns 500 calories. Your watch is grossly overestimating your calories burned. Good for you for getting out and doing it, but i think you need more accurate equipment. It's doing you a disservice. Garmin makes excellent devices. You can enter your personal stats. It tracks mileage very accurately, and also monitors heart rate, which is key to getting an accurate burn for weight loss.
  • Melmo1988
    edited February 2016
    Options

With all due respect -

If you don't think that logging wildly inaccurate numbers is absurd I will say that you're not likely to have a lot of success using MFP to reach your goals.

I'm using mfp numbers. I am trying to be as accurate as possible. What more can I do.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

You're getting good advice here. It may not be what you want to hear, but you should listen. You're not a special snowflake. Most of this advise comes from people who have been there, done that. Get an accurate read on what you are burning. Don't trust what's in the data bank. And eat those calories back. You will get good results by December. Probably not 100 pounds worth, but you'll be amazed at how good losing 50 will feel. Good luck OP.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Mfp calorie burn numbers are generally inflated
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

With all due respect -

I'm assuming mfp numbers.

I understand...but common sense still needs to rule supreme.

People are telling you that the numbers MFP is giving you are inflated and wrong. They're wrong for me, they're wrong for you, they're wrong for everyone.

Ultimately, it's your choice what to do with that information of course.