The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• tweekedgirl
    tweekedgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    So given that February is a shorter month, and my current crazy work schedule, I'm aiming for an ambitious 60 miles this month. It means I need to average around 5 miles a run, 3x a week to hit this. I got to 45.6 miles last month, so if I can push myself that little bit further every time I get out, then I should be able to do it.

3/2 - 4.56

Total - 4.56/60

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Hydeel6582 - I find doing the @ username easiest for replying. As for keeping up with the number of posts there is no good answer. I caught up with this thread before going to bed. I woke up a couple hours early and there were already 22 new posts!

Woke up at 3am and by 4am decided I would just get up and put todays long run in early.:smile:
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Not posted in February but still been following your adventures as my mileage would be low and I didn't think I would be able to track it whilst on holiday. Went for a treadmill run on Thursday night with my usual couple of minutes warm up walk then into a jog - as soon as I tried to jog my adductor on my leg was really sore. Fine on cross/elliptical trainer, fine walking but could not run at all. Same again today only I got about 2 minutes in before pain struck. At least I can walk and use other things but gutted as I have been so cautious and not done anything that explains this. Any ideas what I should do? Should I avoid running for a week, keep trying a little every other day? Please help, I was starting to like this running madness.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Hydeel6582 :) It is a little hard to keep up at first.. To respond to someone in particular, type the symbol "@" and then type the persons username ... like this.. @runner_girl83 then their name will light up and they will be notified that you responded :) As for keeping up with the pages.. I still get lost lol

I don't get notifications, I suppose that's a setting. I just scroll through :wink:

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @shanaber, have a great race tomorrow!! You'll do great!

I'm just about to head out for a 10 to 12 mile trail run with someone from the local trail running crew.
  • ty274
    ty274 Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Getting back into running after a long break. Goal for this month is 120km.

exercise.png
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I also agree the video should have showed him the next day but I loved his mom. And he looked like he was loving the finish. Now I need to do the Toronto Scotiababk marathon.

@shanaber - have a grey race.

@Elise4270 - it an on and odd again feature. Sometimes you get notification sometimes you don't.

• 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I've just found out I've got anaemia and I've been prescribed iron tablets. Since I started running about 7 weeks ago I've only been able to run at 6am because if I leave it any later in the day I'm just way too tired. I'm usually asleep within minutes of putting my kids to bed at 7pm! Does anyone else have it and does it affect your running?
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    2/1: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    2/2: 5 miles
    2/3: 7.5 miles
    2/4: 8.2 miles (am), 6 miles (pm) with the Thursday crew
    2/5: Rest day (hallelujah!)
    2/6: 9.5 miles with the Saturday crew

Nice, slow run today with the Saturday crew, followed by a gigantic mocha. Wanted to do 7-9 miles, and went for the bigger number to hit an even 60 for the week (including LR tomorrow). Feeling back up to snuff after a pretty "meh" week. Now to just eat, eat, EAT today since I've got 18 big ones tomorrow!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney Half Marathon
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
  • whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Absolutely stinking weather here today... cold with buckets of sideways rain. I bailed on parkrun this morning, but got myself out for a very wet & windy 7 miles this afternoon. I think I must really be a runner now, because the prospect of missing a weekend run seemed way worse than being outside in this weather for an hour!

19/76 for the month.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think it is important for everybody to find what shoes work the best for them. In my case I can't run in anything other than zero drop minimalist shoes. I do have some shoes that have a little more cushioning for my 20+ mile runs, but they still need to be zero drop... or very close. I have a couple of trail shoes that are 4mm drop which are ok... but anything more than that causes me issues.

@Elise4270 and others in the zero drop/barefoot discussion. I too wear pretty much only zero drop shoes. Add in my orthotics and that brings it up to about 2mm. The sports chiro recommended this when I tore my plantar fascia but now I cannot run on anything else. It did take a bit for my achilles and calves to accept but I went slowly and stretched a LOT. I have tried several brands and really like Skora and Altra but they are hard to find in stores. They both have wide toe boxes that my feet love. Skora has from completely minimal to some cushioning. Altra has completely minimal to lots of cushioning. I would say if you can't find what you want to try on in any of the brands, read all the comments you can find and order appropriately from a store with a decent return policy. Like @MorningGhost14 I also have 4mm drop Asics I like for days when I am running really easy and want more cushioning.

Found out on Facebook this morning that many of my friends are also running the Surf City HM or Full tomorrow. I guess we all need to talk more :) I am heading off to the expo which should be huge and lots of fun.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Feb 1 - 4.27
    Feb 2- repairing/recovery day.
    Feb 3 - 4.5 miles
    Feb 4 - rest
    Feb 5 - Strength training trainer was sick again... so it was cancelled.
    Feb 6 - 34 mile bike ride

exercise.png

2/7 Daytona Beach HM
    3/3 Orlando City Soccer 5K
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Beautiful day here today, about -1c (30f) and snowing lightly. The roads were covered with snow and because of the mild temps, it was sticky and slippery. I had to stay out of the car tracks and try to run on the fresh snow (only a couple cm's) to make it a little more stable. My feet got soaked but I wear Lorpen wool socks, midweight and they're fantastic, I didn't realise my feet were that wet till I took off my socks.

All I wore today was go warm leggings, mock turtle neck baselayer, weather proof light running jacket, and a headband. It was a little to light to walk in but perfect for running.

Wonderful run today.

But I have noticed the first mile or two my breathing comes hard. I'm not sure if I'm just moving faster or what, but by the end of the run it's easier.

2/01 - x-train
    2/02 - 4 miles that came nice and easy
    2/03 - nada
    2/04 - 3.4
    2/05 - x-train
    2/06 - 3.3 11'20 split

exercise.png

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    February Running Totals (miles)
    [1/31 – 14.01 easy with hills]
    2/1 – 6.08 easy + 4 strides
    2/2 – 9.73 warm up, speed work, cool down
    2/3 – 6.30 group run
    2/4 – 11.04 long speed work
    2/5 – scheduled rest day
    2/6 – 15.00 long speed work
    Weekly total 62.16 vs. target 62

February total to date – 48.15

Goal – 62 or 68 miles per week, per training plan
    expected February total - 262 to 265 miles

Today's notes – Today's assignment was the first long run that isn't a constant pace. Total of 15 miles: 3 miles @ E, 2 x (4 miles @ MP, 1 mile @ T), 2 miles @ E. My target paces are E, 8:00 to 8:15; MP, 7:05 to 7:20; T, 6:30 to 6:40.

Since I haven't run that far on this type of workout yet, and because we don't have any snow accumulation, I ran this mostly as an out and back on the Erie Canal Trail. The idea is that it's flat with no traffic, so I can mostly pay attention to my pace. There was only one road to cross, and I managed to cross it without delay while running MP, twice. :smile: My jump off point was where the training program I pace for was running from, so I got to talk to some friends when I got done. The weather was good for winter running, 30° F (-1° C) and 8 mph SSW wind.

Pace control isn't as fine outdoors, even on a nice level path, as it is on the indoor track; but I did okay. The mile splits came in at 8:10, 7:53, 7:56, 7:08, 7:12, 7:13, 7:09, 6:26, 7:05, 7:04, 7:04, 7:07, 6:30, 7:59, and 8:11. Close enough to target paces, and I was a bit surprised that I still had a 6:30 mile in the legs at mile 13!

I've been thinking I want to beat 3:15 at Boston. That implies an MP of 7:25; call it 7:20 on the Garmin because I won't run all the tangents accurately on a course I can't preview. The Jack Daniels estimates say I can do 7:05 for MP, but I'd rather be a bit slower and feel better afterward. After today's workout, I'm thinking maybe I can target 7:15 for MP during the actual race, and not feel too badly if the crowd gets me to push it up to 7:05. Just have to be disciplined early, so as not to be hurting late.

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY - need to register)
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY - need to register)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I learned about 3 road/paved trail hills clustered together in my area that were supposed to be steep. The guy I heard about them from claimed they are the steepest in the area for that kind of surface. So I took off on a new out and back route today to reach the two steepest ones and give them a whirl on my long run this morning.

The first one I approached going downhill initially and it was appreciably steep for maybe 1/4 mile and then leveled off a bit for the remaining part. My planned turnaround was at the top of the next (and steepest over it's total length) 2/3 mile long hill. On the way back I got to appreciate that first hill for the short but quite steep incline it offered which appears to be around 13%, which was immediately followed by 2 miles of a slow incline back towards my neighborhood.

The total route was just over 11 miles but apparently I took the hills just a tad too aggressively and I was cooked after 9 miles and had to alternate walking and running the rest of the way home. I tried to run the rest of the way each time I started back up but that was not going to happen. Looking at my HR data it seems that after that short but very steep hill followed by the 2 mile slow incline my HR was in my tempo HR range that entire time and is probably why I just couldn't seem to keep running. It was a new feeling. My legs were not wobbly or too tired, I just could not keep commanding them to run.

Oh well. :smile: I still made it.

I was planning to do back to back LR's this weekend so I am hoping to recover overnight and do another run tomorrow. I'm even debating trying that same route again, only slower this time.

2/1 - 4 miles
    2/2 - 4.3 miles
    2/4 - 4 miles
    2/6 - 11.1 miles

23.4 of 100 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/30 - BattleFrog 8k obstacle course run (Kansas City, MO)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    </insert more races here>
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    @3dogsrunning - Wow! I am really impressed that he made it with no training!:lol: At that 10k mark all I could think was how that once again confirmed that sort of distance as mental. But to see him go the full half marathon was, well, really amazing. I think we all know that guy couldn't move well the next few days.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    @3dogsrunning - Wow! I am really impressed that he made it with no training!:lol: At that 10k mark all I could think was how that once again confirmed that sort of distance as mental. But to see him go the full half marathon was, well, really amazing. I think we all know that guy couldn't move well the next few days.

I know right!

I also loved his mother. She is all kinds of awesome.
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Der! I realized last night that it's the Ibuprofen that made my run so bad yesterday. I had figured this out in November and just forgot that Ibuprofen exacerbates fluid retention. And I had been taking it the last couple of days as I have been sick. SO no more ibuprofen for me. (I've said that before, I really need to get back to tracking all this stuff).
  • DCKgirl03
    DCKgirl03 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ok so another 3.5km for me today of walk run combined. :-) so glad it's not cold out, you don't want to know the kind of layering I have to do for -25C. Brings me up to a total of 6.5km out of 30km for the month :-) feels so good to run again. And my knee brace felt less weird today :-)
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Trying to catch up, but not quite there. Had a busy day yesterday taking my daughter (a high school junior) on her first college visit to Shenandoah University. I think by the end of the day she was a little tired of me pointing out all the awesome places to run that we saw near and on campus, lol.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

1/31 Rest
    2/1 6.25 @ 12.00 on the treadmill
    2/2 3.5 (3 @ 11:50 and .5 walking) and strength training
    2/3 Rest day--drove several hours to have coffee with a friend. Couldn't squeeze in a run, but the heart is happy!
    2/4 10.25 @ 11:46 on the treadmill. Fast and Furious (not to be confused with The Fast and the Furious. Or 2 Fast 2 Furious. Or Tokyo Drift.)
    2/5 Planned rest day--taking my daughter on her first college visit!
    2/6 5 @ 10:35 on the treadmill
    (25/25 for the week)

Upcoming Races:
    Feb. 14 Run Your Heart Out 5K, Reston, VA
    Feb. 21 Disney Princess Half Marathon, Orlando, FL

exercise.png