Cheat days. Yay or nay?

Options
A while ago I did a week long killer boot camp to kick off my weight loss journey. My trainer gave me a meal plan for that week that I followed religiously (still use a few of those meals today). She heavily suggested that I have 1 cheat day per week. Like, massive cheats (not just a little something). She explained it helps to sort of reset your metabolism.

Post boot camp I started communicating with a beach body coach and she said the exact same thing. She, in fact, claims she ate a whole pizza every Saturday!

I gave myself a cheat day for a long stretch. I found it helped my contain my cravings during the week. If I saw something I wanted SO badly, I'd just tell myself Saturday is coming! So, resisting crap food was a touch easier. I did not eat like a whole pizza or anything close on cheat day lol but I did eat fried foods and pastry, etc. I managed to lose 40 lbs in 6 months.

Now that I'm back to eating healthy, and using this app, I'm wondering about how/if I'm going to do cheat day. My husband looks forward to it lol so I'm not sure I can write it off completely. However, I may just make dinner a cheat meal and be careful during the day...

What are everyone's thoughts and opinions on this? Tia!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Nay

I follow IIFYM
  • amandajpiper
    amandajpiper Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Nay

I follow IIFYM

I have zero clue what that's an acronym for...?
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Yay- sort of. I do a cheat meal on a Saturday night. I find it of massive use psychologically and doesn't seem to have any discernible knock-on effect on my weight loss (ie I put on a lb or so on a Sunday and then that and more is gone by Tuesday). At the moment I'm losing more than 2lbs a week easily but have another 80lbs to go so am expecting it to slow down soon! Tonight I'm having homemade lasagne and salad, followed by a chocolate fondant. Total meal around 1500 calories. Yum yum!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it works for you
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    IIFYM = If It Fits Your Macros

I work treats in every day so that I don't crave them and don't build up to eat everything in sight on one day per week.

As long as you end up getting your weekly deficit goal, it doesn't really matter how you split up your calories day-to-day.
  • jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Not for me. I do my long run on Sunday's, so I might eat more to support those miles, but I like the green numbers in my diary. That doesn't stop me from eating what I like. Tonight I'm going to have BBQ, but it will likely get divided into 2-3 meals over the next couple days.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I don't do "cheats". I eat what I want as long as it fits into my calorie allowance. If there is a day I really know I want something, I make sure I have the calories for it. I usually eat a large thin crust BBQ chicken pizza by myself once a week or two. However, whatever works for you is what you should do.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    All that matters is energy balance.

Consume less calories than you use, over a sustained period, lose weight.
    Consume more calories than you use, over a sustained period, gain weight.

How you come about this is totally up to you.

If you wish to term something a cheat meal, go for it, but it really is just like everything else, calories and macronutrients.

Nothing 'resets' your metabolism. As human beings we simply do not function that way. Unless you have a metabolic disorder, there is little point in even passing a thought to your metabolism, and certainly not to effecting it in any significant manner.

I'd personally drop the whole cheat/good/bad/crap/healthy/unhealthy view of foods in isolation, and develop a balanced dietary intake that encompasses the foods you like.
  • Squirrel698
    Squirrel698 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hooray! I enjoy my cheat days and I'm not about to give them up. I would argue that all out whole pizza eating sounds like indigestion waiting to happen. I think for mine I'll just double the amount I would normally eat. So about 2,800 calories or so.
  • MedeaKay
    MedeaKay Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Definite yay! If I did not allow for cheat days now and then, I would never stick with this. I do a big cheat (200-500 calories over) about once every couple of weeks, and smaller ones (up to 200 calories over), about once a week. The rest of the time I am pretty strict about sticking to my weight loss amount of 1200 calories. I eat back some of my exercise calories, but usually not all. I have lost weight at a steady pace of about one pound per week, and although I'm sure I could do it faster by denying myself the cheats, and not eating back any calories, I know that it would not be sustainable for me. I would rather lose slowly, keep my metabolism healthy, and not sacrifice the happiness of chocolate and pizza in the meantime.
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I think a meal here or there is one thing, but I could do way too much damage with an entire day, I think.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Nay, but I use a Fitbit and have adjustments based on activity, so that lets me walk more to eat more. I go over now and then, but it's never planned, or to indulge cravings for things I don't let myself have. I try to make my treats fit in with what I have available.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I think the whole concept of "cheat days" sets one up for long term failure. Eat what ya want when you want, just do it in amounts that fit into your daily goals. Why work hard all week and go 1500 calories over on a stupid pizza? If you are on a 500 calorie deficit, you just negated 3 DAYS of work. Want some pizza have a slice or two at dinner, want a donut? Take a little hike and enjoy it.
  • Kitzey
    Kitzey Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think the whole concept of "cheat days" sets one up for long term failure. Eat what ya want when you want, just do it in amounts that fit into your daily goals. Why work hard all week and go 1500 calories over on a stupid pizza? If you are on a 500 calorie deficit, you just negated 3 DAYS of work. Want some pizza have a slice or two at dinner, want a donut? Take a little hike and enjoy it.

I agree with this!

You will find differing opinions with the question you brought forth. What works for one person doesn't always work for another. The key is to find a "balance" that will work for you. Keep in mind a "cheat meal/day" can throw you out of your weekly deficit if you are not careful in your choices.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    problem is that turn into cheat weeks. I'd say I'm a nay.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I give myself a day with unlimited calories every once and awhile. I will prep for it the week leading up to it by eating less calories everyday.
    I'm giving myself unlimited calories tomorrow for the Superbowl.

Go Broncos.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I always eat within my plan, which is very low carb high fat, but I let my calories vary widely depending on my hunger for the day. One day may be 1200 kcal and the next might be 2000kcal. I rarely plan a high calorie day beyond major holidays or a night at a dinner theatre buffet. Around those days I typically eat less than average. The daily variations seem to work well for me.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I tend to just try to fit what I like in my calories. Even when I go out to restaurants with friends I track. And every once in awhile, such as holidays, birthdays, and anniversaries we go a little crazy and eat at maintenance. :P
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    yay! although nay to the term cheat. i prefer to say i make 90% good choices, 10% awesome choices.
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have cheat meals, not cheat days.