Phentermine

Options

Replies

• sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Phentermine got into trouble when combined with Fenfluramine causing potentially fatal pulmonary hypertension and heart valve problems. Phentermine was not shown to have harmful effects when taken alone.

Go back and read all the posts in this thread and reconsider your opinion.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Phentermine got into trouble when combined with Fenfluramine causing potentially fatal pulmonary hypertension and heart valve problems. Phentermine was not shown to have harmful effects when taken alone.

This is why I read until the end of the threads before posting - she was 12 when Fenfluramine was banned and said repeatedly that she never took Fenfluramine.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I have seen a lot of posts on and off about this and other weight loss drugs. I can vouch that they absolutely work. I have lost a lot weight using Phentermine on and off throughout about a 10 year span.

BUT...

The weight doesn't stay off. And those side effects? They are real.

You could take Phentermine and lose the weight, but you might end up like me. I'm 30 years old, slightly over weight, and have moderate tricuspid valve regurgitation. As in, I might need open heart surgery because my heart was damaged by Phentermine. To be clear, I never took it for more than a few months at a time, was monitored by a doctor, and did everything "right".

My lifespan has likely been shortened to lose a few pounds. Weight I could have lost on my own with a little bit of gumption. It wasn't worth it.

Thanks for sharing. I'm bookmarking this to post on the next Phentermine thread. Unlike you, I was in my 30s in the 90s and did take Phentermine with Fenfluramine, and it definitely wasn't worth it.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    sure you got it from the drugs though? Im not saying that its not possible. I have mitral valve regurgitation and I never took any diet drugs,never had rheumatic or scarlet fever(dr said scarlet fever can cause it too).none of my family has this issue. so I have no clue where I got it from. I had the shortness of breath(thought it was my asthma( the swelling of of legs) but no beaus line. they did an ultrasound of my heart and found it. but the last two I had (since I started getting fit) shows that I have slim to no issue with my valve now. from what I understand it wont heal on its own but seems like mine has. but mine could have been from all the adrenaline shots I was given as a kid for my asthma(before they did nebulizer treatments in the E.R)

Mitral valve regurgitation and Tricuspid valve regurgitation are actually two very different things in that regard. Mitral valve regurgitation is really common and is usually congential, whereas TV regurgitation isn't. Phentermine would not be the cause of Mitral valve regurgitation. I can see how that would be a little confusing.

oh I know its different was just stating what I had and mine wasnt caused from phentermine. they dont know how mine happened. It wasnt discovered until I was in my 30s
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you went through this, but I'm thankful for your honesty! If you just change the mind of one person who's thinking of taking this, you've succeeded in doing real good today. Thankyou!
  • itschanelle
    itschanelle Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Itschanelle,

Thank you for posting about your experience with Phentermine. It is a deadly drug. The sad reality is that it does work. People will lose weight taking it. But they will be depressed, ill, unable to sleep, and miserable. And as your story points out, those of us are able to stop using it with out experiencing heart or renal failure are the lucky ones...

You're completely right. Even if you aren't as unlucky as I and you're able to elude heart problems, you will likely deal with the side effects you listed above. It reeeeally messed up my moods and it took months and months to stabilize them after I stopped taking it. It effected my relationships with everyone around me, but I couldn't see it while I was in the thick of it. That's something to consider as well for sure.
  • itschanelle
    itschanelle Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I have seen a lot of posts on and off about this and other weight loss drugs. I can vouch that they absolutely work. I have lost a lot weight using Phentermine on and off throughout about a 10 year span.

BUT...

You could take Phentermine and lose the weight, but you might end up like me. I'm 30 years old, slightly over weight, and have moderate tricuspid valve regurgitation. As in, I might need open heart surgery because my heart was damaged by Phentermine. To be clear, I never took it for more than a few months at a time, was monitored by a doctor, and did everything "right".

My lifespan has likely been shortened to lose a few pounds. Weight I could have lost on my own with a little bit of gumption. It wasn't worth it.

Thanks for sharing. I'm bookmarking this to post on the next Phentermine thread. Unlike you, I was in my 30s in the 90s and did take Phentermine with Fenfluramine, and it definitely wasn't worth it.

Thanks for the support. I really hope the ban Phentermine alone as they did with Fen-Phen. I guarantee it does more harm than good.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I wish they would take a lot of products off the shelves but since the FDA doesnt regulate a lot of things,its not going to happen unless more people step up about what its done to their health or family members health,or enough people die from it. sad but true
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post, I actually took Phen-fen back in the late 90's. My father, who is a doctor, prescribed it to me when I was about 18. I only took it for about 6 months because I lost weight and didn't need it anymore. He was always prescription happy and put me on whatever new magic pill hit the market. Fortunately I was usually really bad about taking them. As my father, I trusted him, but now as an adult I'm so angry at him for being so irresponsible with his own family. Anyways your post encouraged me to look up the details of the heart valve issues and I learned that you don't start showing symptoms until it's severe. Since I was about 21 or 22 I started having problems with ankle swelling that have been getting worse as I've gotten older, and I have some other minor circulation issues. Your post has inspired me to go get screened to make sure it's not due to a leaky heart valve!! It's probably not but still, anyone who was on Phen-fen should get checked out. I'm really sorry about your experience, hopefully sharing your story will help others to not get caught in a similar situation, or at least to get themselves checked out to find any problems before they become bigger problems :(
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Q_Is_Poison Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Itschannel, Phentermine is insidious. Because it works so well at first you are lulled into a literal addiction. The side effects come on so slowly that by the time you are hit with the depression, weakness, and nutritional imbalances you have no idea that the Phentermine is causing them. Furthermore because of its metabolism boosting effects you are loathe to give it up because you are so afraid of regaining the weight that you lost. Remember the cliche', How do you cook a frog so he doesn't jump out of the pot? Very, very, slowly..." It was not until I had stopped taking Phentermine for some time that I could truly understand how terrible that drug made me feel. It is truly nightmarish!
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am currently taking Phentermine, though I really didn't like the idea. The reason I accepted it is because my doctor suggested it. I didn't go to a weightloss clinic. We don't have genetic heart anomalies in my family, and this should be very temporary.

Doctors don't always do what is best for their patients. They do what is best for their pockets. I'm sure they're getting a kick back from the pharmaceutical company for prescribing Phentermine.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I wish they would take a lot of products off the shelves but since the FDA doesnt regulate a lot of things,its not going to happen unless more people step up about what its done to their health or family members health,or enough people die from it. sad but true

The FDA is the most corrupt organization out there! Sure they regulate. They regulate drugs that cause damage to you. Have you ever listened to the ads for drugs that are out there? "Fatal events may occur"? And yet the FDA approved these drug to be on the market. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they also approve Phen-fen? Clearly the FDA cares about people.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

The FDA is the most corrupt organization out there! Sure they regulate. They regulate drugs that cause damage to you. Have you ever listened to the ads for drugs that are out there? "Fatal events may occur"? And yet the FDA approved these drug to be on the market. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they also approve Phen-fen? Clearly the FDA cares about people.

My understanding is if during a drug trial it is known that the drug caused the death of someone they will not approve the drug. When they say fatal events may occur it means someone died during the trial and while they don't attribute it to the drug they can't rule out some combination of events which might have included the drug as a contributing factor.

There is for sure a lot of shady stuff going on with drug trials, but I'm not sure we should be so quick to blame the FDA. With all the anti-regulation/anti-government/anti-funding going on combined with the continual merging of the big pharmaceutical companies and their gaining in power and lobbying influence it's a wonder the FDA can marginally do its job. I'd blame congress.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I feel really sad that you have had such horrible side effects. I am lucky that I don't get side effects at all. But for me Phentermine is definitely a psychological addiction like Q said.

The FDA has been lobbied by Big Pharma to recently let a lot of diet pills on the market that have not been thoroughly tested for side effects.

But phentermine has been around for years and years. The doctors are aware that it may cause heart problems. The ethical doctors are careful who they give it to. I get an EKG regularly when I am taking Phentermine. My doctor takes my blood pressure every month to make sure I can still take it.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your health issues.
    It's worrisome that the doctor didn't understand that the fen/phen combination causes serious problems.
    (Or, as someone else has already said, you got it before the problems were understood.)

I've used phentermine, until it reset my hunger to (what my doctor tells me is) a normal level,
    and I got used to eating normal-sized portions.
    No problems of any kind.
    And if I could have simply used willpower to overcome the hunger, i would have done it long ago.

I don't know of many people who would tell someone suffering from constant pain that they should just
    think themselves pain-free, or suck it up & deal with the pain, because using tylenol or morphine means
    they're weak... but that's exactly what most people do when the discussion turns to appetite suppressants
    &/or antidepressants. Hunger is a type of pain. Depression causes all sorts of pains.

MKEgal, you make so much sense. From us being supportive friends here for quite awhile, I know how level headed you are.
  • LettingTheSmallStuffGo
    Options
    I used to take over the counter weight loss pills but when I heard the news on what this drug was doing to people I quit. It's just not worth it. While a pill may help you get the pounds off quick, you actually aren't doing yourself any favors because you're not learning self control.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options

BUT...

Thank you for sharing. It always baffles me when people will overly protect cars, homes, children, clothes, etc., but are willing to risk possible health issues for 5-10lbs!!!! That's crazy huh? But vanity seems to have no limit. Hopefully your story reaches some who are willing to take phentermine just to lose a few vanity pounds.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I am currently taking Phentermine, though I really didn't like the idea. The reason I accepted it is because my doctor suggested it. I didn't go to a weightloss clinic. We don't have genetic heart anomalies in my family, and this should be very temporary.
    You're doctor CAN'T force you to go on it. Get off it now and learn a practical way to lose weight calorie counting.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Pretty bold statement because ANY science organization will agree that ALL drugs have side effects however small or not.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    I feel really sad that you have had such horrible side effects. I am lucky that I don't get side effects at all. But for me Phentermine is definitely a psychological addiction like Q said.

The FDA has been lobbied by Big Pharma to recently let a lot of diet pills on the market that have not been thoroughly tested for side effects.

But phentermine has been around for years and years. The doctors are aware that it may cause heart problems. The ethical doctors are careful who they give it to. I get an EKG regularly when I am taking Phentermine. My doctor takes my blood pressure every month to make sure I can still take it.
    Unfortunately, it make take some years of constant use to get symptoms. All the while you're thinking it's "safe".

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png