Steel cut oatmeal

Options
Stupid question but why are there so many different calorie counts for steel cut oatmeal? Quaker brand is 150 for a 1/4 cup! Why? I just make it with water and a 1/4 is nothing.

Replies

• brianazo
    brianazo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oats are a very caloric food. Bodybuilders use them to bulk. They are not generally a weight loss food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It's a 1/4 cup dry, which becomes a lot more when prepared (especially if you add some fruit or something). The various brands I've used (Bob's Red Mill, McCann's, and the Trader Joe's house brand) are all about that amount too.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    It's 1/4C dry. Oatmeal is calorie rich. I find it filling, so it's a reasonable weekend breakfast (for me) but one does have to be careful of the calorie count.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Water to oat ratio is two to one so you are getting a half cup of oatmeal for that 1/4 cup dry. Yes, calorie dense. Yes, full of soluble fiber. Dressed up with fruit, yogurt and nuts, it fills me up for the morning.
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal and is super healthy!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Yup add a banana, half a cup of whole milk and a tablespoon of heavy cream yum!
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    As people have said, that's 1/4cup dry. I find that one serving, topped with some greek yogurt, fruit, and a little protein powder, easily keeps me full until lunch time, for around 275cal. Especially if I drink a big glass of water right after eating it! Thus, I don't really consider oatmeal to be very calorie-dense given how satisfying it is for me.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    While oatmeal may be calorie dense, it's very filling, nutritious, and can be made high volume. It's great for cutting and bulking. Add egg whites or oats to add volume, or lots of liquid and microwave low power for longer. I love oats during any body composition phase!!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    brianazo wrote: »
    Oats are a very caloric food. Bodybuilders use them to bulk. They are not generally a weight loss food.

I didn't knwo that there were specific weight loss foods but I eat oatmeal even when trying to loss weight. It isn't that calorie dense
  • lorivitali
    lorivitali Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I also eat steel cut oatmeal because that and exercise helped me lower my cholesterol from 240 to 204 and it fills me up so I really want to continue to enjoy it. But because of the calories I wasn't eating every day as I once was.
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I eat it for my colesteral ' I think the calories are worth it. I do have to eat alot more veggies to get me though the day on oatmeal day.
    But that is a good thing.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I don't see it as calorie dense at all. I can make two servings for breakfast, just 300 calories, and be stuffed until lunch. With a 2000 calorie daily budget, that's a low-cal meal.