Cheat Days?

Options
Okay, so ive posted several times how this is all new to me. I was a fast food junkie and a true junk food snacker..yada yada yada. Now ive read that a lot of you all have cheat days? What exactly does that mean. Im starting to get bored with my mundane eating, although I have lost 11 pounds in 2 wks (YAY) I'm in a way craving chips. No sweets, but alll I want to eat are some sour cream chips and pop corn.

My question is I know a lot of people substitute bad foods for healthier. Like instead of eating actual sour cream and onion chips I ate these sour cream and onion pop chips.. Which didnt curve my crave of those sour cream and onion chips. I dont think substitution works so well for me.

Am i the only one having this issue? I know its kinda minor, but im just curious.

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I do not have cheat days. I eat the same way everyday. I was a fast food and junk food junky so I stick to my eating plan everyday.
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I buy the diet popcorn. Wallmart has a light butter kind that isn't bad. And for something like chips. I have the one bite rule. It works for me. (For chips it would be the Three chip rule for chips and french fries) I know it sounds werid but then I can have whatever I want and not feel restricted. I use it in extreme cirumstances, not all the time.
  • mistyboggs
    mistyboggs Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't know about cheat days, but popcorn can be a healthy snack. Four cups of it is 100 calories. (If you get the right kind not loaded with all the other stuff)
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    First, cheat days. They work for some, not for others. I'm one of the others. I can easily undo a majority of an entire week's worth of work with a cheat day. However, others do just fine with them. What I suggest is you log it if you decide to do one a week and try to stay at your maintenance calories (so 500-1000 more than your normal day).

Second, substitutions. Most don't work for me either. But I also don't have enough self control for one serving of something. So, what I do is make sure if I'm going to "give in," I do it when I bring that particular food to a party or when others will be around that I'll watch myself and can leave the leftovers behind :)
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I find if i have a cheat day it leads to another day then a week etc.
    I am trying to see it as a lifestyle change instead of a diet with cheat days if that makes sense.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days, cheat meals, etc. Since I follow an "everything in moderation" way of thinking - I eat what I want, when I want. I have learned what is the correct serving size and I follow it. I then log whatever I ate and move on. I find that I do better when I allow myself to eat whatever, whenever vs making myself wait til a certain day to eat it. I think it also helps me with binge eating - because NOTHING is off limits. Granted, there are a lot of things I simply don't eat anymore - but it's because I don't want them anymore.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    I want that bag of chips? 300+ calories? I burn it first. Run, walk, bike, whatever it takes to earn it and then enjoy.

My other solution is that I'll have a lighter lunch and dinner if a few chips are in my future. Keep it inside the calories and ensure I get my proper balance of nutrients first.
  • sportsjunkee70
    sportsjunkee70 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I personally have a cheat day. I allow myself to have 1 meal of whatever I want. I am smart about it though so I don't completely overdue it. But it helps keep me from feeling like im on a "diet" and depriving myself.
  • bonnymom
    bonnymom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Okay, so ive posted several times how this is all new to me. I was a fast food junkie and a true junk food snacker..yada yada yada. Now ive read that a lot of you all have cheat days? What exactly does that mean. Im starting to get bored with my mundane eating, although I have lost 11 pounds in 2 wks (YAY) I'm in a way craving chips. No sweets, but alll I want to eat are some sour cream chips and pop corn.

My question is I know a lot of people substitute bad foods for healthier. Like instead of eating actual sour cream and onion chips I ate these sour cream and onion pop chips.. Which didnt curve my crave of those sour cream and onion chips. I dont think substitution works so well for me.

Am i the only one having this issue? I know its kinda minor, but im just curious.

I choose to call it a "relax day". A day where I'm not worried about my calories and can have pizza with the family on Saturdays or go to a movie and drinks with the hubby. It works for me. I just ensure that I drink ALOT of water and try to keep it around maintenance calories.

Regarding the Sour Cream and Onion Potato Chips - Have you tried the Baked version? They are really good. I choose to have an individual bag of the Baked chips instead of the regular ones. It helps with the craving of chips and I can more easily fit it into my regular calorie goal.

HTH! Good Luck!
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week and just eat whatever I want. I stay under my calories for 6 days a week, and that one day, I just don't care. For me, it's the reason why this is working. I've lost 14 lbs in two months while having that one day off. Could I have lost more by now? Yes. But I'm in this for the long haul. This is a lifestyle change for me. I won't stop eating this way from now on.
  • AntoinetteC
    AntoinetteC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I really don't have a cheat day, but when i want something sweet i eat the Keebler 100 calorie packs and i also buy Lays baked chips. So far, so good.
  • annieemmons
    annieemmons Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    We all have certain foods that we crave specifically. The only reason I have had success this time dieting is that by using my fitness pal, I can calculate the number of calories eaten and use the overall calorie goal as my maintenance tool, therefore not completely eliminating something from my diet. The important key here is that if you do feel you need to splurge on something, you can, as long as you eat something with less calories during the other meals of the day. For example, if I know I am going to go out for dinner, I eat very lightly during the day. I will have yogurt for breakfast, salad for lunch w/some veggies or fresh fruit, thus conserving my calories for dinner time. Then, if I go over, I just do some exercise. I love how this website allows you to plug in different types of exercise and it will estimate how many calories you will burn. And it is really estimating based on your weight, because when my husband and I both do the same exercise, he burns more calories than I do because I weigh less to begin with, so it takes less energy to move my body around than his. I usually figure out how many calories the thing I am craving "costs" calorie wise before I make the decision to eat it. That way, I can adjust at the different meals and plan out what I will eat for the day and what exercise is needed to accommodate that selection. I had chips and queso today, but I waited to splurge on that little doozy until the day we had marked off to repair our fence. Digging post holes, tearing down old fence, and building new fence doesn't come up in the list, but "general carpentry" does, and I used that as a close estimate of how much I have been burning today. (WAAH! There's still more to do!) I also find it's good to splurge on things occasionally, as long as it's not very often. I'm one of those that once I get a craving for something, if I don't eat that particular thing I want, I don't feel satisfied or full until I have gotten what it was I was obsessing about. You can also kind of make up for "going over" by eating less the next day or the day before, though you don't want to routinely mess up your calorie goal. Also, cooking the thing you like yourself is generally healthier too. Whip out the grill and make your own burgers where you can pick how fatty you want your ground beef to be, or make your own recipe for your favorite thing (try allrecipes.com) and then substitute healthier ingredients such as fat free sour cream for regular sour cream, substituting apple sauce for oil in baking (makes things even more cakey consistency) or unsweetend almond milk for skim milk (Seriously, just discovered that awesome product 2 weeks ago. I thought I was doing well w/my skim milk, only to find that unsweetened almond milk has only 35 calories a cup, which is less than 1/2 the calories, and also has MORE calcium in it! It's also a bit "thicker" in texture, more like 2% or whole milk. Holy cow!) While I don't use almond milk on my cereal since it does have a slightly different flavor, I have used it for cream based sauces and in place of regular milk when baking. (It's AWESOME for homemade ice cream and in coffee drinks too!) So my basic rules are 1) OK, go ahead and splurge, just make sure you exercise or eat less calories at other meals. 2) Don't splurge very often even with making it up because while your overall calories might still be w/in your goal, you are still taking in excessive amounts of either sugar, salt, fat, or all three, 3) Try to find a way to make the desired item yourself or something that fills the craving sufficiently 4) Modify that recipe with some healthier ingredients. 5) Get to know your own body. I, for example, find that if I splurge on something early in the day I tend to feel hungrier all day long, so I try to save my "splurge" for dinner time. Some people have that reaction to sweet things in general. I also usually crave something salty over something sweet.
  • truchamp06
    truchamp06 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU all for your commentary. Makes a lot of sense. I think that pnieuw is right.. If i want a bag of chips.. I will just exercise the amt of calories it is so i can have it.. Maybe after burning 300 calories Ill realize that little bag just isnt worth it!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Cheat days don't work for me because if I give myself free reign to eat whatever I want, I'll undo all of my hard work for the week. Substitutions CAN work IF you find the right one. In your case, sour cream and onion chips. Have you tried Special K's sour cream and onion crisps? So good! I think a serving is around 27 chips and only sets you back about 110 calories. Give those a shot. If they don't work for you, try the baked version. If subs don't work at all, go ahead and get what you're craving, but be very mindful of how much you're eating. It's totally okay to have some junk food every now and then, just in way smaller doses than before. Get a taste and move on.
  • truchamp06
    Options
    @fridayjustleft04

I have not tried those chips, but I will be doing my grocery shopping this week, and will have to check those out. Thanks!
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days, cheat meals, etc. Since I follow an "everything in moderation" way of thinking - I eat what I want, when I want. I have learned what is the correct serving size and I follow it. I then log whatever I ate and move on. I find that I do better when I allow myself to eat whatever, whenever vs making myself wait til a certain day to eat it. I think it also helps me with binge eating - because NOTHING is off limits. Granted, there are a lot of things I simply don't eat anymore - but it's because I don't want them anymore.

Me too! As long as you log everything, and make sure you burn the extra calories, then anything is ok in moderation. You want chips? You're just gonna have to move your butt alittle more than day :D
  • truchamp06
    Options

Me too! As long as you log everything, and make sure you burn the extra calories, then anything is ok in moderation. You want chips? You're just gonna have to move your butt alittle more than day :D

YOU are very right. I like the idea of knowing how many calories that product is.. then working out that many calories, then have the "ttreat". You hold yourself accountable versus, eating it..then telling yourself you will work out later.
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i have one serving size of what i want and then put the rest away. i'll even put things in my basement so they're not close enough to get seconds. i don't deny myself foods or substitute though because i've learned that i'll eat it anyway so i may as well have it, log it and enjoy it.
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Like everyone I try not to "cheat" I've been pretty bad the last week with having a bag of crisps or chocolate bar here and there but I just log it and move on.

My view is that in the overall scheme of things a few hundred calories here or there isn't going to do much harm.

The only thing I am strict on myself is the frequency of the bad food because I know myself and I'm scared I'll go back to my old habits.

I know that the more I allow myself to "cheat" the more likely I am of returning to my old ways however I also know that if I don't let myself have the occasional treat I'd go completely off the rails and blow a few thousand calories.

Just find a balance that suits you and most importantly just be honest with yourself when you come to log it on MFP.
  • ladyluck4210
    ladyluck4210 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have one "cheat" meal a week. I set this aside in case my friends want to go out to dinner at a restaurant where I can't count calories or if I get invited to eat dinner with my brother and his family. I don't want to NOT have a social life or seem rude when people ask me over for dinner.

However, I make sure that I eat small portions. If I go out with friends I have the waiter/waitress put half of it in a to-go-box before I even see the food. This way I make sure I only eat half. Also I try to make sure I eat the healthier stuff and not the fried or greasy foods.

I am trying to find a way to change my eating habits but still eat the things I enjoy. Even on a regular day I'll eat ice cream or chips, but I make sure I eat it in the right way. I've been doing MFP for just over 25 days and I've lost 19 lbs. It's okay to stray away from your strict diet once a week. Just not make it an all day thing. This time of year people are going to have BBQ parties. You should go and enjoy yourself. You don't want to deprive yourself of the things you enjoy. If you do you're going to go crazy and then eat everything in sight!

If you are serious about doing this journey than you need to find a way to change your life forever. Not just to lose weight, but to find a way of balance. It's not an easy thing. I'm still learning and I suspect I'll keep learning as time goes on.