Over snacking/eating

Options
ive been logging for about a month now and I lost 10 lbs then I gained 5 back this week alone :( I snack so much if I'm sitting at home and I just can't help it. Please don't say "don't snack" because that's not how I'm going to get the weight off and keep it off. Who in the world gets to their wanted weight and then doesn't snack ever? I'm looking for tips to minimize my snacking and keep myself from snacking too much. My usual snack range from; grapes, granola, chocolate, fruits, and veggies. I just love food and can't help but wanting it.

Replies

• Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I do this alot too when I'm home. I do believe it's due to boredom and not that I'm really hungry. Find something to keep your mind off of food. Maybe do some gum and mints to suck on. Brush your teeth, that makes me not want to eat. Go for a walk. Don't give up.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I like to snack, too. Veggies are a good first choice since they tend to be lower cal. I've started pairing a snack with a cup of coffee, a diet soda or some flavored water. Then I get more volume, fewer calories, and that habitual hand-to-mouth thing I've got is satisfied.

Honestly, though, if you're not hungry and snacking anyway, try to find something else to occupy yourself. Read a book, go for a walk, take up knitting, clean, etc.

~Lyssa
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I love my snacks. I just fit them in and stay in a calorie deficit.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Eat smaller meals so you can fit your snacks into your calorie goal.
  • sadams205
    sadams205 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Jbell0213 wrote: »
    I do this alot too when I'm home. I do believe it's due to boredom and not that I'm really hungry. Find something to keep your mind off of food. Maybe do some gum and mints to suck on. Brush your teeth, that makes me not want to eat. Go for a walk. Don't give up.

Thank you so much!!
  • sadams205
    Options
    ModernRock wrote: »
    Eat smaller meals so you can fit your snacks into your calorie goal.

That's a great idea!
  • sadams205
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    I like to snack, too. Veggies are a good first choice since they tend to be lower cal. I've started pairing a snack with a cup of coffee, a diet soda or some flavored water. Then I get more volume, fewer calories, and that habitual hand-to-mouth thing I've got is satisfied.

Honestly, though, if you're not hungry and snacking anyway, try to find something else to occupy yourself. Read a book, go for a walk, take up knitting, clean, etc.

~Lyssa

yeah it's mostly just sitting watching tv and eating. When I have something to do I don't eat unless hungry. Great advice!
  • Alalai
    Alalai Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try and log the times when you are snacking. You may just be snacking out of habit. Also maybe prepare your snacks in advance and make your snack size smaller so you can snack more through out the day. I know a girl the can make a bag of m&m last for two days....I can make a bag last about 3mins but I'm working on it lol..... Oh and also set a 20 minute timer when you get a craving for a snack, when you get this craving drink a glass of water and set a timer for 20mintues. If you still want the snack after the 20mintues then go for it.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    There is the option of no snacking. Years of snacking got me no where. I don't snack anymore.
  • HarperAnn6
    HarperAnn6 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It is habit that I share, too. In the "snacking" moment, I try to ask myself: Do I want to eat whatever I want whenever I want, or do I want to slim down? It doesn't always work, but it is fairly effective. Also, I won't buy foods I know I will snack on (usually seemingly "benign" foods like cereal, granola bars, low-fat cookies -- even rice cakes). Tonight I was looking for something sweet (my downfall). Fortunately, I had not purchased any trigger foods. I ended up baking a pear with a little cinnamon and no added sweetener. I know it seems like deprivation, but I just can't be around "snacky" foods. I feel so good about myself this evening because I didn't eat through a sleeve of rice cakes -- or two granola bars -- or a bowl of cereal! Hope this helps:)
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Okay I know it's going to sound crazy, but I found a few hypnosis type apps on my tablet that talk about drawing my attention to my choices, and even just today (three days in a row of listening to one of two 20 minute "weight loss" hypnosis apps) and already today I sat down to a plate full of Mac and cheese, got half way through and stopped and I noticed that when I was deciding if I wanted to finish or not I realized I was full. I stopped, paused, and chose to stop eating which was a line from one hypnosis tape, and another was "eating too much just feels wrong" and after I had stopped I found myself feeling that way- that more food would feel wrong. I'm usually a big slacker especially on weekends.

It's not magic, it's not going to work for everyone. But it's helping me and it's worth a try! There are lots of free ones. At the very least they're relaxing and I also do not believe I am "hypnotized" I'm just focusing on my goals for at least the length of the tape every day. Give it a shot- the ones I have are free.
  • mynameislaurak
    mynameislaurak Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When you are at home, are you eating your meals on a schedule or are you waiting until you are pretty hungry? I've noticed that when I have no "schedule" and I try to eat my meals at the same times when I normally would have a schedule, I get hungry more often in between meals. I tend to only snack post-dinner and it's usually an outshine bar or those frozen fruit slices that are dipped in chocolate. If I snack earlier in the day I try to make it a protein bar.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    You are totally normal. Welcome to the crowd. I'm a snacker and I love food and my worst time is in the evening. The absolute almost impossible time to resist is when I am watching television. I have learned not to sit too long or my thoughts go straight to food. I also save calories to be prepared for this like right now when I am writing this post while watching television. I have calories left to whip up a 25 calorie cashew milk and fruit shake adding a generous tablespoon of Agave sweetener. Yummy :)
  • ArmorForFitness
    ArmorForFitness Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just change what you snack on. I for one, enjoy snacking throughout the day, but I always make sure my snacks are accounted for in my macro count.
  • Gr8_Gurl
    Gr8_Gurl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Im also a home snacker and I do it after dinner. I found that one of the best tricks is not to have snacks lying around at home because Im going to end up eating them all and probably in one sitting. If Im really craving something I buy the smallest size on my way home and then eat it when I get there or after dinner. That way I feel good because my craving is satisfied but I didnt ruin all my hard work for that day.
    It's hard to control yourself when you're all comfy at home so it's better to try to avoid the situations where you can be tempted to eat a lot of junk in one sitting.
    Best of luck!
  • BrideSept2017
    BrideSept2017 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Personally, I realized I tend to snack around the same time every day, so I account for a snack in my daily goals. I try to ask myself if I'm truly hungry, or am I snacking out of habit or boredom. In between meals and snacks, I keep myself occupied, whether that be reading, crocheting, or drawing. Good luck!
  • Janehds0284
    Janehds0284 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    For me I try to eat low cal for meals so I can snack more.. You have to sacrifice something otherwise you won't reach your goal :)

I always brush my teeth earlier so I don't feel like late night snack. It works for me!
  • chimpy123
    chimpy123 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm a snacker but I plan my meals and my snacks to fit into my calorie and macro goals. As long as you are getting the right macro's and eating nutritious and not calorie dense foods you should be able to eat throughout the day and not feel hungry b/c feeling constantly hungry is not a sustainable weight loss plan, atleast not for me.

Also, if you were restricting your calories and working out for the month and then ate more than you were restricting, the 5 pounds that you seem to instantly gain could be from your body replenishing its glycogen and water stores in your muscle. I'm not sure if I read the article on here or on bodybuilding.com but it may be something to consider
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    This maybe doesn't sound like it would be an idea for you - but have you considered being "strict" with yourself about *where* you will eat? I eat every meal or snack at a table, whether at work or at home. Seated, typically with a plate in front of me, large glass of water to sip, and no TV/smartphone/PC or laptop present. It makes me feel so much more satisfied like I truly had a snack and/or meal experience. Maybe that sounds odd but it could help!

I also do not eat in the car. Years ago (before losing weight) I would often grab a latte or some nuggets to snack on while driving and realize I'd barely even tasted it!

Snacking mindlessly while doing other stuff seems to me like the least satisfying way to eat and really taste and enjoy your food. But I'm also not a big snacker, I would rather have 3 "larger" meals and no snacks. My husband loves snacks (but is also on MFP) so he saves calories for that. We eat lunch together on weekdays and it's common for me to have fruit or a couple of small cookies with my lunch, but he waits and snacks on those things and/or nuts later during the afternoon.

I also do the tooth brushing thing (usually RIGHT after dinner) and because I have a routine of flossing, brushing, etc, it's way too much trouble for me to do it all over again just so I can have a small evening snack.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    chimpy123 wrote: »
    I'm a snacker but I plan my meals and my snacks to fit into my calorie and macro goals. As long as you are getting the right macro's and eating nutritious and not calorie dense foods you should be able to eat throughout the day and not feel hungry b/c feeling constantly hungry is not a sustainable weight loss plan, atleast not for me.

Also, if you were restricting your calories and working out for the month and then ate more than you were restricting, the 5 pounds that you seem to instantly gain could be from your body replenishing its glycogen and water stores in your muscle. I'm not sure if I read the article on here or on bodybuilding.com but it may be something to consider

Yup. Plenty of good tips but I wanted to comment on your weight loss and gain, OP. Weight loss is not linear, sometimes we see a bigger or smaller drop on the scale than our actual rate of fat loss may indicate. A lot of times, portions of the initial loss may be water weight and then the body may level out a bit in the weeks following. Just keep your eye on the long term target and try not to be too bothered by the short term swings