Losing Belly Fat

Options
Any tricks or tips for losing dreaded belly fat? I want to keep my boobs and butt. Thanks :)

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat. Sorry.
  • ramskermfc
    ramskermfc Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    All you can control is eating fewer cals than you burn, which results in a loss of overall bodyfat. You can't choose/control where your body stores fat predominantly or where it loses it predominantly. You might lose some (or even a significant amount) of bodyfat from the places you'd prefer to keep it--but eventually the belly fat will reduce as well. Only one way to find out.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ^ What they said. No such thing as spot reducing. Eat at a deficit and the fat comes off from where it comes off, according to your genetics.
  • LCbaby0x
    LCbaby0x Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I meant exercises. I am a nurse. I realize that fat is going to come off wherever; however, I am trying to do exercises that will tone and increase fat loss in target areas.
  • ramskermfc
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Answer is the same. You can do exercises to strengthen/build your abs . . . doing so doesn't mean you'll burn belly fat. If your body strips fat from other areas first, you would have better abs under the same belly fat until your body happens to burn off the belly fat. When that fat does start coming off . . . then you'll have better abs to show.

You might get lucky and be someone who happens to burn significant belly fat first . . . but you can't make it happen by targeting exercises there.

EDIT: If you want suggestions on exercises . . . hanging leg raises, crunches, sit-ups on the inclined board, weighted crunches on cables or machines are all good. But again, your body will decide where the fat comes off.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    LCbaby0x wrote: »
    I meant exercises. I am a nurse. I realize that fat is going to come off wherever; however, I am trying to do exercises that will tone and increase fat loss in target areas.

This is not how exercising works. For example, doing situps will stimulate your abs to grow, not speed up the loss of fat covering your abs.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yep, same answer. "Increasing fat loss in target areas" is spot reduction, and it doesn't happen. Fat is inert, you don't exercise it - you're exercising the muscles under the fat, and that doesn't target the fat above the muscles.

Read this article - it explains it better than anybody here can: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/
  • LCbaby0x
    Options
    I agree. I just don't know if doing ab workouts would be better or possibly cardio. I know from having children that my ab muscles are weak so I was wondering if strengthening my abdominal girdle would make a difference. Thanks ! :)
  • LCbaby0x
    Options
    I am doing cardio now, and I am losing in my belly but my muscles there are obviously weak from what I can see (more than they used to be)
  • Lycan_
    Lycan_ Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Strengthening your core (which includes your back as well as your abs) is going to give you a lot more strength across your entire body. That is an incredible advantage when you're getting fit. However, it will not, by itself, get rid of belly fat.
  • LCbaby0x
    Options
    Thanks guys! I think when I posted I made it seem like I wanted a miracle. I just wanted some guidance on how to make it look better while losing the weight. I think the strength and ab workouts will bring it in tighter and make it look better while losing weight. Thanks :)
  • ramskermfc
    Options
    Strengthening your core can do a bit to help the "appearance" of the area . . . kind of like slouching makes your belly stick out and better posture makes it look better. If your weaker abs make your belly pooch out a bit then you might see some tightening up, but the amount of fat hasn't necessarily changed. So do try to strengthen your abs and then when the fat does reduce there it will look that much better.

So sure . . . keep up with the cardio if it's working and get some ab work going. Are you doing any additional resistance exercise at all or just mainly the cardio?
  • LCbaby0x
    Options
    Honestly, no. That's why I need help. I'm not sure what else to do
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    This thread offers the best guidance re: losing belly fat you'll find:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    LCbaby0x wrote: »

There are no top secret techniques, special exercises or specific dietary protocols that are going to specifically target the fat around your midsection.

Fat loss only occurs on a total-body scale.

The answer to your question is to simply focus on reducing your overall body fat percentage through a proper combination of weight training, cardio and nutrition.

• cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    What AnvilHead says about genetics I am convinced is true. There was one point in my life where I was 'dieting' (around late 20's/early 30's), where I was obsessive about losing weight, in particular the flab around my middle. I remember my parents not nastily, saying right from a young child I had this tendency. Unfortunately my body shape is that of my father's: short trunk longer legs that are on the slim side, and also slim arms and slim to normal face. The typical apple shape as they say. During this dieting I went down to 7 stone 12 oz and it was then I started to realise it was time to stop as I was going light-headed and dizzy. This righted itself when I went up to about 7 stone 4 oz. I was working in a physical job in kennels and was always on the go. I went dancing so was anything but sedentary. Did what was known back then as 'spot exercises' to try and target the area. Even below 7 stone I still had the flabby belly. I look back at those old photos and see I certainly didn't need to lose weight except for around my middle which has always proved impossible. I can understand myself struggling nowadays as with poor health that developed etc, it has not been as easy. My father had the same problem but then again, he did eat rubbish of typical poor food choices of the era. Mum although the same height and slim build had a longer torso with shorter legs and never had these issues. The shorter trunk/longer legs shape will certainly not help when it comes to appearances when only a few ounces over. A friend has the same longer trunk/shorter legs shape as mum and I have always been amazed when even allowing for her being taller, her weight is much more than expected. She said it 'hides well' because of her body shape and any fat dispersing evenly over the torso dropping down to the waist then hips. With my shape there is no eveness for it to be distributed. Can only do our best; onwards and upwards folks.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Low carb diet always makes my stomach more flat.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

Wtf is it with this copy and paste response of yours? A low Carb diet will not make your stomach flat....neither will all the other nonsense you suggest to people about eating only organic and before a certain time.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options

This is true. Reducing calorie intake reduces body fat. :+1:
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

This is true. Reducing calorie intake reduces body fat. :+1:

She's saying low carb, not low calorie.