Recompers: advice please!

Options
Hi guys,
I am seeking some advice on maintaining and recouping vs. trying to lose a little more.

By way of background, since October I have lost around 5kg/ 10-11 lbs, going from about 130 to 117-119ish. I am almost 5'4, so was by no means very overweight to start with.

Since my initial losses, for the last month or so (after the Christmas splurges which I escaped from mostly unscathed) I have been bouncing around 117-19 without much real progress. I put this down to generally having little to lose and being less strict than I was before. I would probably lose at an extremely low rate if I kept this up, but really my heart isn't really in it anymore, and of course, I am at a heathy weight that looks ok on me.

Point now is, I still have excess flab that I would like to rid of, mainly upper arms, butt, calves. My main form of exercise is running (hills, which I think have helped maintaining my LBM) and the odd body weight training video. I don't feel skinny fat, but I do feel flabbier than I'd like. I have a small frame so still could realistically lose body fat, but it would be hard and slow.

tl;dr I have never really done any proper resistance training. At a healthy weight, would it get me to where I want to be? I would find it pretty scary to start eating at maintenance or above but don't think my current plan is very sustainable. I want to eat more!

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    By far the fastest way to reduce body fat is a calorie deficit and losing weight but....
    I would probably lose at an extremely low rate if I kept this up, but really my heart isn't really in it
    So stop - have at least a break. What you decide now doesn't have to be forever, can be a pause and go back to a deficit later if you want to.
    I am at a healthy weight that looks ok on me.
    Yay!
    I have never really done any proper resistance training. At a healthy weight, would it get me to where I want to be?
    Yes. Your body will react to any form of stimulus but resistance training is the most effective. Cardio has a resistance element as well of course - think swimming, rowing, cycling which are higher up the scale compared to running...
    As a beginner your progress should be good, you also have age in your favour but your gender is against you in term of speed.
    I would find it pretty scary to start eating at maintenance or above
    You need to address this fear - it's going to be for a long time! Trust the maths.
    I want to eat more!
    Yay! BTW - you don't need and special macro mix when recomping beyond the usual needs of an overall healthy/nutritious diet.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    It absolutely would help to start lifting weights ASAP!! It was the only thing that really changed my body.

If the thought of maintenance scares you, do it slowly...start with 100 calories weekly (like 100 more per day for 7 days, then try 150 more per day for 7 days, etc.) until you find the sweet spot.
  • Eglf_88
    Eglf_88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I suppose I sort of know the answer already but have no experience with weight training. I love to work out though so I guess I should just get busy!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Flab is fat - plain and simple. Get a scale that measures body fat percentage. At any rate, you'll need to eat low-carb to burn the fat. Start by keeping carbs below 100 grams/day.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I agree with weight training being helpful, and gradually increase calories. You Are Your Own Gym is good if you like body weight training. (that's what I've been doing.) New Rules of Lifting is good, too, and I've seen some others recommended here.
  • Eglf_88
    Eglf_88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I had a look at YAYOG but wasn't crazy about risking the doorknobs around my house haha. Thought 5x5 might be a good one to start with since it's easy to follow?
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    In regards to door knobs I dont use my doors I use a pullup bar and do them off that!
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    In regards to door knobs I dont use my doors I use a pullup bar and do them off that!

I used the banister at the bottom of my basement stairs this morning. Wrapped a blanket around the pole, grabbed an end with each hand and started up. Did the same thing with my pull-up bar: draped a blanket over it, grabbed hold with each hand and did horizontal pull-ups. Its amazing what you can do with a little creativity, imagination, and sheer desire to get 'er done!
  • Angellaree
    Angellaree Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I started lifting with 5x5 a few years ago after doing mostly just running and I loved it. My only regret was not starting lifting sooner! Start lifting, you won't regret it! :)