12 pounds OUT the window!

Options
As I reflect on my time spent trying to gain control of my fitness, and finally see changes, I thought I would share with the Community! My first log in on MyFitnessPal was in May, 2014. Since then, I have learned:

1. If you diligently log in what you're eating, MFP is a wake-up call.

Who knew how much sugar, carbohydrates, and excess calories were going into my body if everyone around me was consuming the same? "I thought I was healthy?" Well you thought wrong!

2. If you log into MFP daily, food logging becomes habit.

. . . And the habit of logging helps establish healthy eating habits, and refrain from binge eating, because you are LITERALLY seeing what you put in your mouth during a single day's work. (By the way, a small Sonic Blast has 900 calories).

3. It takes time to figure out what works best for you, and MFP can track your journey!

I thought going to a cardio class, a light run here and there, and yoga twice a week was enough to shed the pounds. Spoiler alert: It was not. I've lost 12 pounds on MFP since May 2014, and it is because I quit settling for the one work out a day, and started working out twice a day. It's all about ROUTINE. Instead of being the two classes a week guy or girl, be the two-a-day gym goer. Lift every single day. Push yourself to rise above the mediocre fitness pals and run 4 miles instead of 1. You will be amazed at what your body can do, and the time that appears when you *make* time. God blesses those that work, so start working out your body today! Praying that you can make time to take care of yourself — it's the most important thing you will do!

Follow me to follow along.

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss.

But, some of your workout advice = no. There's no need to work out twice a day and lift every single day. In fact, there's no need to "push yourself to rise above mediocre fitness pals" because how judgmental is that?
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss and you're spot on with points 1 and 2. As far as exercise, its untrue that you can't lose without increased exercise. It's great for health, but unnecessary for weight loss. With that said, are you taking really days? Lifting every day doesn't give your muscles time to recover that they NEED. Be careful!

Last but not least, someone running 4 miles is not superior to someone running 1 mile, and running 1 mile is far from "mediocre" for some people. Remember, everyone has different goals!

Good luck on your journey and congrats on your loss!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss.

Just some random thoughts:

I don't know why people associate "healthy" eating with weight loss? I don't even track my sugar, tho I'm sure I eat a lot of it and yet, I still lose weight.

I work out only once a day for about 50-70 minutes because that's all I have time for. You don't HAVE to work out twice a day to lose weight, in fact you don't HAVE to work out to lose weight at all.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss but the whole "follow me and pray" thing... Well, mind if I dont.
  • LowCoffinLucifie
    LowCoffinLucifie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Congrats on your loss.

But, some of your workout advice = no. There's no need to work out twice a day and lift every single day. In fact, there's no need to "push yourself to rise above mediocre fitness pals" because how judgmental is that?

very well put ty :)
  • ladyv_39
    ladyv_39 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your on weight loss but I'll pass on the exercise advice. Lifting every day sets you up for an injury because you don't give your muscles enough time to recover. I lift twice a week and do fine. And I don't have time to work out twice a day. Once a day for an hour is enough for me.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I lift 2-3x/week and do cardio maybe 1x/wk (beyond walking anyways) and lost 48lb in 8 months. I don't see why you need to lift every day or run 4 miles just because you ate too much.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Uhm congrats on the loss but I'll pass on the work out advice.

Just for those reading thinking you need to exercise that much, you don't, my exercise routine is wholly inconsistent due to medical reasons and in the time I've been on mfp and some time before I have lost weight quite succesfully without it.

If it works for you op then great but that kind of schedule is not for everyone.