Do you believe in getting a 12 hour fast every night?

Options
2»

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options
    Why is not eating for 12 hours a fast, I forget. Timing of food consumption is a waste of time.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Why is not eating for 12 hours a fast, I forget. Timing of food consumption is a waste of time.

not a waste of time if it helps someone meet their caloric goal for the day/week
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I typically get 12-13 hours without eating, but I don't think it matters one bit.
  • Forest91
    Forest91 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday 9pm-9am 12 hours
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I believe more in that than in starvation mode, kickstarting metabolism, jumpstarting lifestyle changes, detoxing, clean food, bad carbs, and not eating breakfast, combined. I believe strongly in eating whatever I want whenever I want, and I happen to like spacing my meals with about 3, 3 and 4 hours between, which creates a 14 hours night fast. I like to be quite hungry for breakfast, and not get too hungry through the day. I've never had trouble sleeping on a full stomach, but eating and drinking too late created another problem I didn't really think about until it stopped - having the last glass of water a few hours before bedtime has worked wonders for my sleep - no more waking up in the middle of the night for bathroom trips.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    No but I usually get at least that naturally... I don't typically get hungry for 13-14 hours after dinner.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I believe in getting a 12 to 14 hour fast, yes. It's been shown to lower A1C levels without changing diet/ caloric intake which could lead to slower development or prevention of DM2.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I believe in getting a 12 to 14 hour fast, yes. It's been shown to lower A1C levels without changing diet/ caloric intake which could lead to slower development or prevention of DM2.

I second this post. I like to aim for 14 and it has definitely helped.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I fast for 14 hours. I eat dinner early because I tend to get cravings at night, and if I eat a meal they're less intense. Hasn't done anything magical for me though. Well except help with the cravings :wink:
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Spiderkeys wrote: »
    Mine around 12 Hrs between 6pm till 12pm midday, I fast, I always have to skip breakfast because I can never get enough calories to spare anymore now I in maintance mode.

But A bit of fruit or a handyful of nuts before bed has proved ok for me.

But yeah Night time snacking is never a good idea, esciapply a huge meal before bed.

It is all CICO, does not mater when you eat them. I save 400 calories for just before I go to sleep, and I have lost about 160 pounds.

• ShaneLynch1972
    ShaneLynch1972 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've lost 163 pounds since I started my new healthy lifestyle last June. I don't eat after 6pm. To each his/her own I guess. :smile:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I believe in not eating stuff shortly before bed because that disturbs my sleep, I also believe in not forcing myself to eat if I didn't feel like it, so I sometimes have breakfast and sometimes I don't. My night fast is anywhere between 12 - 20 hours, depending on what/when I feel like eating that day. What I don't believe in is arbitrary meal timing rules for the average person who is trying to lose weight.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    No... I eat when I'm hungry. Sometimes thats right after I wake up, sometimes 2 hours later. And I always eat something hour-half an hour before I go to bed because I cant sleep if I'm at all hungry