Body fat%

Options
What is a healthy % for a 38 yo female? I'm 5'4" @ 120 pounds.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    22 to 33 % roughly

But your scales are no giving you an accurate reading ...bio impedence has a huge margin of error
  • karmaheart
    karmaheart Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    22 to 33 % roughly

But your scales are no giving you an accurate reading ...bio impedence has a huge margin of error

I'm at 21%
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    On a bio impedence scale or dexa scan?
  • karmaheart
    Options
    Fat caliper
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    IS there an accurate (and accessible) way to measure body fat percentage? I notice that some calorie calculators will give an estimate as well.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    karmaheart wrote: »
    Fat caliper

Done by who? How many points? Also prone to error
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with under 22%? I was at 15-16% for a while in the healthy BMI range, and all the research I read just pointed out that below 15 was unhealthy.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I'm not being picky ..but even in expert hands, 9 point tests and metal calipers they are accurate within 3.5%
  • Sued0nim
    edited February 2016
    Options
    What's wrong with under 22%? I was at 15-16% for a while in the healthy BMI range, and all the research I read just pointed out that below 15 was unhealthy.

It's based on a research article by Gallagher et al published in 2000 although I have to say that there remains some further research required ...I believe the fat percentage was mapped to BMI and health outcomes ...so again a population measure which is difficult to equate on an individual basis. But basically for women aged 20-40 anything under 21% was deemed underfat ...so read unhealthy ..I think for men the equivalent was under 8%

I'd take it with a pinch of salt personally ...athletes can have low body fat, age changes the ranges

Anyway this is the paper http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/72/3/694.long#sec-7
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    IS there an accurate (and accessible) way to measure body fat percentage? I notice that some calorie calculators will give an estimate as well.

Dexa scan, bod pod, or hydrotank. I checked out my area, they run $50-75. The hydrotank is done using a mobile unit and they around my way regularly. I haven't had it done yet, but plan to when I get close to goal weight.

Scales can be off 10% or more either way. I just asked about it in the "Fitness" forum a couple days ago.
  • Sued0nim
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Anyway this is the standard BF chart

xg2y6l2bp3gw.jpeg

z8b3gra0zf72.jpeg
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Thanks.

Does that mean I can have more cake?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Equus5374 wrote: »

Dexa scan, bod pod, or hydrotank. I checked out my area, they run $50-75. The hydrotank is done using a mobile unit and they around my way regularly. I haven't had it done yet, but plan to when I get close to goal weight.

Scales can be off 10% or more either way. I just asked about it in the "Fitness" forum a couple days ago.

I'd check with local universities. One in my area offered DEXA scanning for $40. Some use them for studies and you could get a free scan just by participating in a study, along with whatever other reimbursements they offer for being a human Guinea Pig.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Sight is probably a closer read TBH

So how does this help you decide on your goals?
  • karmaheart
    Options
    I would like to get down to 19