Very annoyed and discouraged

Options
anyrmca84
anyrmca84 Posts: 25 Member
edited February 2016 in Motivation and Support
I have been doing workout videos I found on YouTube, such as Piyo, Jillian Michaels and that kind of thing. I have also been doing crunches, squats and such. I do walk too but was trying to change it up as well. I know it's not a marathon but I figured it was better than doing nothing at all. Today my brother basically informed me that if I'm not on a bike, running, or walking than it doesn't count. I mean I get that doing a 30 minute workout video online isn't a marathon. I get I'm not on a bike. But some of those videos are hard and I figured at least doing crunches or videos was better than nothing. Am I wrong?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Your brother is an idiot.
  • anyrmca84
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks!! I mean don't get me wrong I know some of those videos are stupid but some of them are hard. Yoga isn't easy and Piyo isn't easy. And yes I should walk more but I was trying to keep it different so I wouldn't get burned out.
  • kwspence287
    kwspence287 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Keep going, and doing what you are doing. You may want to add some bike or treadmill later, but you are walking! It's all good. I say we just keep moving. It's great that you are doing the YouTube videos. I think that takes dedication and self discipline. Listen to YOUR body and YOUR self. Yay for you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is all about your calorie deficit anyway
  • anyrmca84
    Options
    Thanks!! I have been doing an elliptical but it's boring so I always try to do something different too. I will more than likely add a bike later but I'm overweight and I'm trying to start slow. I get out of breath fast so I am trying to start slow and just move. If that makes sense.
  • marymezzo
    marymezzo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Variety is good! Keep doing the exercise you like to do!

Next time your brother offers his opinion, ask him where he got his degree in exercise science.
  • smcwllms
    smcwllms Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine lost close to 200 lbs doing nothing but videos and MFP. P90X, Insanity, etc. He's maintained it for about five years now.
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You're moving - that's the main thing. I don't bike, run or treadmill. I swim. It works for me. Do what works for you and ignore the opinions of others.
  • anyrmca84
    edited February 2016
    Options
    marymezzo wrote: »
    Variety is good! Keep doing the exercise you like to do!

Next time your brother offers his opinion, ask him where he got his degree in exercise science.

Thank you. It was just really frustrating to hear him say that. My goal is to keep moving. Very good point, he doesn't have his degree in exercise science. Lol.
  • anyrmca84
    Options
    smcwllms wrote: »
    A friend of mine lost close to 200 lbs doing nothing but videos and MFP. P90X, Insanity, etc. He's maintained it for about five years now.

People think P90x or Insanity are easy because they are videos but they aren't. My brother just really frustrated me. Thank you for your kind words.
  • anyrmca84
    edited February 2016
    Options
    MizMimi111 wrote: »
    You're moving - that's the main thing. I don't bike, run or treadmill. I swim. It works for me. Do what works for you and ignore the opinions of others.

Thank you. I just got really frustrated because he was so negative. But all of you have been great. For now the workout videos help me. Thank you.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Well when my brother saw me doing a video he said "why don't you just take up a sport like basketball??" Yeah, real encouraging lil bro. I continued my videos and eventually started taking group fitness classes at the gym to keep the material fresh. Have been going for years
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 50 lbs doing workout videos on youtube. I really enjoyed The beachbody mom, she has great low impact workouts. I was not able to do high impact. So your brother is very wrong.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Invite him to join you, maybe that will shut him up.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

I like this response best :)

Some people feel like you have to cover vast distances for an exercise to count.

That's just nonsense.

If it gets you moving and you feel good doing it, that's what matters.

~Lyssa
  • tottie_07
    tottie_07 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Ignore him. Keep at it and rock on!!
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Your brother is absolutely right. That's why the entire human population was nothing but fat slobs until the bicycle was invented in the late 19th century. It must be true; it's on the Internet! ;-)
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Going to have to agree with this assessment. Exercise of any sort will burn extra calories. Intensity and time put forth will determine how many etc. Doesn't matter what you choose to do. So while he's running like crazy to hop on his bike, smile and complete your video.

Good luck! :-)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Brothers are annoying. Almost goes without saying.
  • sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    As long as you break a sweat, it's all good.