Older runners?

Options
lorrpb
lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
Who has started running in their 50s or 60s, having never run before? I'd be curious about your experience, how you progressed, any problems, etc. Two of my friends, began running around age 60. They admittedly pushed too hard and both ended up with serious injuries (ruptured achilles & blown out knee).

Now that I'm close to goal weight I'm thinking about trying it, nothing crazy, 1-3 miles max goal. My concern is that injuries usually don't show up for awhile, then it's too late. 60 yo female, 171 lb, 5'7", beginner to moderate fitness level. Nothing impressive, for sure.

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    My main caveat would be to have respect for your age -- not setting artificial limits, but understand that: a) running is a high-impact activity and b) it's going to take an older body longer to adapt to the stresses of running.

That means: increasing volume or frequency very gradually, taking time to condition your lower body and core (there should be a number of websites that provide specific exercises), and doing complimentary cardio exercises like cycling, stairclimbing, or the elliptical trainer.

Good luck
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I started running in my early 50s and ran my first 5K at 52. Since then I've progressed to half marathon & Olympic duathon distances (I'm a crappy swimmer so I don't do triathlons yet) and I plan on running my first marathon this coming fall (I'm 60 now....)

The trick for older runners is to progress at a slower rate than our younger counterparts and be diligent about cross training. Muscular imbalances (especially hips / glutes) along with just plain overuse are the main causes of running injuries and we need to be particularly conservative as many of us oldies may already have preexisting health problems.

Another critical thing is to pay attention to little niggles before they become big problems. Runners are a stubborn lot and people of our generation were taught to believe "no pain no gain", mild discomfort yes.....pain, no.

My own approach (and I was horribly unfit and weighed about 235 at 5'8") was to just walk at first then I added a 1 min running (well, slow shuffling fat old dude) intervals with 9 min walking then 2/8 etc until I could run 10 minutes without stopping and then very gradually built on that.

Take your time, progress conservatively and run consistently......you'll be amazed with what you can accomplish.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking the question as I am trying to add running to my walks.
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've been running off and on just about my whole life. Even when I was in my 20s I had to respect my limitations. Start slow. Increase your mileage, impact whatever by no more than 10 percent per week. You may even want to go lower than that. I certainly have. If you're hurting or you feel an injury coming on, rest for a few days. The bigger the injury, the longer you'll have to sit out so don't push through an oncoming injury. Get your doctors ok - especially a cardiologist if you have one. Stretch well after. Work on Strengthening your muscles that will help with running. The lighter you are, the better.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Check out this guy's blog. He started running in his 50's and now he is 83 (and still going strong).

http://oldrunningfox.blogspot.com/

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this helpful and encouraging feedback. I work out several times a week, core, strength, stretching, balance and walk 4-5 miles per day. I think I will try it and take it s-l-o-w and easy, paying attention to how I feel.