Hysterectomy weight loss success?

Options
Going to have a hysterectomy next week (keeping ovaries). Hoping that my hormones balance out in a positive way because I believe it's the sole reason for my weight gain over the last few years. Any ladies have any positive stories of weight loss after a hysterectomy?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Did your dr tell you an hysterectomy will in any way affect positively your weight? Because I cannot imagine any reason it would. Why would having an uterus affect your weight?
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    An eventual success, yes - it took me a long time after my hysterectomy to be motivated to start losing the weight (long story but basically I was scared to), but once my head was in the right place it was really drama-free. 33lbs off in about four and a half months, eating plenty (14-1600 generally) and 90% of my exercise has just been walking.
    (I'm 43, kept my ovaries)
  • cardertaxidermy
    cardertaxidermy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy 6 years ago. It didn't effect my weight at all. Hormones shouldn't change much if you are keeping ovaries.
  • SylviaCherie
    SylviaCherie Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Good to know. I've heard that some women gain weight after a hysterectomy...wanted to hear directly from women who lost after surgery. Thx
  • tkphotogirl
    Options
    Good to know. I've heard that some women gain weight after a hysterectomy...wanted to hear directly from women who lost after surgery. Thx

If you have a laparotomy the recovery is slower than keyhole and it can be easy to gain weight during the enforced rest period *if* you don't adjust what you're eating to account for the inactivity. Also there can be a lot of swelling during the healing process, so you may not have a handle on what your true weight is for a while. My hormones went crazy for a few months in the form of mood swings and inexplicable outbursts of crying, but I didn't find that my appetite changed at all.

• SylviaCherie
    SylviaCherie Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hoping for a change in appetite...for the better.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Please, please read up on "laparotomy " before you have it done, if that is what your plans are. It can open a can of worms that you will wish you never touched. It is not as safe as doctors make it out to be. If you can chose another method, do so.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Hoping for a change in appetite...for the better.

Do you mean like period related cravings and eating?
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy back in 2011. I have lost weight, but not due to the hysterectomy. I also had no change in appetite or cravings. That being said, everyone is different. Good luck and make sure you get plenty of rest after and keep up with pain management. I made the mistake of not keeping on top of my pain and it was a miserable experience.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I am scheduled for mine in two weeks. I've done a lot of research. I think the weight gain comes from depression and inactivity. Eating in a deficit should keep the weight down. However, swelling and water weight may make it seem like you are gaining weight. My biggest concern is the inability to maintain my current workout schedule for eight weeks. That seems like an eternity. I'm petrified of not being in control of what I am eating until I am mobile enough to make my own meals. I opted to purchase a prepaid delivery food plan only the first few weeks so that my husband doesn't have to worry about weighing or counting calories.
  • tkphotogirl
    Options
    socajam wrote: »
    Please, please read up on "laparotomy " before you have it done, if that is what your plans are. It can open a can of worms that you will wish you never touched. It is not as safe as doctors make it out to be. If you can chose another method, do so.

For some it's not an option. I unfortunately had no other choice, but more than two years down the line so far have had zero issues (I do understand that's far from the case for everyone). Hopefully OP has had plenty of time to research! I will second ptsmiles' comment about pain management. No sense in toughing it out unnecessarily.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!