I deeply regret eating bad today.

Hello I am a 21 year old female, 212 lbs who has been trying to lose weight for the past month. I've been eating healthy for the last couple of weeks with the exception of one weekend where me and my other decided to go out for sandwiches. At that time I weight 215, however i noticed on the day after the "cheat weekend" that I had gained 5 lbs! I'm not kidding you I went up to 220 and I was on the verge of giving up and eating bad food again. 4 day's passed by and my weight was surprisingly back to 215 which might be because i lost some water weight, I'm not quite sure. Anyways that was last week. This week my scale read 212lbs :D However im afraid that number won't be there for long because my cravings and an empty stomach got the best of me and I ate an omelet for breakfast. Funny thing is I didn't want to keep eating after a few minutes but I don't know why I didn't stop. I felt the grease of the hash browns on my lips and it really grossed me out so much I had to stop eating. Of course after I was full and didn't want any more food did I start to deeply regret taking a single bite of that omelet. Now I'm scared I'll gain weight because of it. So I guess I just want to know if there is a way to prevent my weight to go up? Any detox smoothies or teas I can drink? What if I burn the amount of calories in that omelet, would that stop my weight from escalating? Any advice and/or comments are greatly appreciated.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited February 2016
    its sodium and water retention.

you dd not gain pounds by eating an omelette.

and unless youre a heroin addict, you dont need detox.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    ysalgad2 wrote: »
    Hello I am a 21 year old female, 212 lbs who has been trying to lose weight for the past month. I've been eating healthy for the last couple of weeks with the exception of one weekend where me and my other decided to go out for sandwiches. At that time I weight 215, however i noticed on the day after the "cheat weekend" that I had gained 5 lbs! I'm not kidding you I went up to 220 and I was on the verge of giving up and eating bad food again. 4 day's passed by and my weight was surprisingly back to 215 which might be because i lost some water weight, I'm not quite sure. Anyways that was last week. This week my scale read 212lbs :D However im afraid that number won't be there for long because my cravings and an empty stomach got the best of me and I ate an omelet for breakfast. Funny thing is I didn't want to keep eating after a few minutes but I don't know why I didn't stop. I felt the grease of the hash browns on my lips and it really grossed me out so much I had to stop eating. Of course after I was full and didn't want any more food did I start to deeply regret taking a single bite of that omelet. Now I'm scared I'll gain weight because of it. So I guess I just want to know if there is a way to prevent my weight to go up? Any detox smoothies or teas I can drink? What if I burn the amount of calories in that omelet, would that stop my weight from escalating? Any advice and/or comments are greatly appreciated.

2 weeks and already a cheat weekend? Overly restricting per chance

Sodium and carbs = water weight fluctuations as does hormones around ovulation and memstruation

An omelet and hash browns are different

Commit to calorie defecit, move more, workout some and don't look for magic tricks that don't exist
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    For that matter, there's nothing wrong with eating both hash browns AND an omelette. You can eat them every day and certainly still lose weight as long as you set and meet reasonable calorie goals.

You don't need to eat "healthy food" - which is a term vague enough to be meaningless - to lose weight, you just need to eat the right AMOUNT of food.
  • guslandrum
    guslandrum Posts: 27 Member
    Trust the math! If you have calculated your BMR/TDEE correctly, and are truly eating at a deficit, you will lose weight. Weightloss is not linear, it will not go in a straight line.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I fail to see how you can't fit a sandwich or an omelette and hashbrown in your calories at your age.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I freaking hope this is a JOKE.

Done with these forums. Just effing done now.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    I deeply regret a good many things I've done over the years, but taking a bite of omelette isn't one of them
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    All of what the others said.

OP do yourself a favour and drop the harsh all or nothing mindset, "bad" foods and restrictive eating ("my cravings and an empty stomach got the better of me...").

Eat foods you enjoy in moderation, if they are naturally high in calories then get yourself acquainted with vegetables and fruit, fresh meats and learn new ways to cook, eat and enjoy them.

Also eat in a way that pleases you both physically and mentally ie: Don't adopt a radical way of eating, drop the idea for the need of shakes and detoxes cause they are not needed. Log your foods carefully and log everything using a digital scale.

Use MFP's deficit to do your calculations and don't expect that weight loss number to always go down. Exercise for your health with something that you enjoy and can sustain. Be patient and persistent.

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member

you have totally the wrong idea and mind set

First of all you can eat everything, fat grease, sugars etc etc.
    You just have to weigh and count what you eat and create a decent deficit. That's all.

Weight will come off sometimes it takes some time, sometimes you have weeks it just falls off.
    But as long as you weigh your food and keep that deficit it WILL come off.
    However your weight will always fluctuate. A bit up and down through the days and weeks but the trend will be downwards if you stick to that deficit.
    Some days you can eat more ( maintaining level when you have a party or so) and even that dont effect it much

Now when you eat salty foods you can have a big fluctuations of indeed 5 lbs ( mine is even more) but that will come off over a very short time. Mostly it takes some days to a week. It is water weight and it will drop.

When you deny yourself enough food you see that most people get bings, gravings and some even malnutrition when they keep doing it.
    But most of all it will test your willpower big time to keep the diet up.

With your mind set it will be hard. Specially when you have this kind of thought when you just started. How long will you stick to it?

Just eat a balanced diet ( when you dont have any issues with certain food groups). So from your veggies, fruit meat, nuts to in moderation ice cream pizza and fatty hash browns too. Only weigh it all and try to keep a deficit between 500 to 1000 calories a day. Eat 25-75% of your exercise calories back.
    And you will feel stronger, healthier and you will have to spirit to do this and lose the weight. You will have less bings and "bad days".

It is a simple system but you need to be realistic about it and when you dont think that way there will be no diet in the world that will help you. You will get into a downfall every time

So get rit of the negativity Just do it :) And you will be the happiest person on earth when you see the weight dropping ;)

95069916.png
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    I deeply regret my 21st birthday. (Long story, not going there lol) I do not ever regret eating food.

I share the same hope as seltzermint, that this is a joke.
  • jasmineruth
    jasmineruth Posts: 88 Member
    I ate five slices of pizza and cheesy bread on Friday. I regret nothing. Weight loss is about a calorie deficit. I am able to overall maintain a deficit while occasionally eating high calorie foods. Obviously it would be quite difficult for me to maintain weight loss eating five slices of pizza every day, so I don't. But I could easily eat an omelette with some cheese and veggies and a bit of oil or butter every day and maintain a deficit. How many calories per day are you trying to eat? If you don't fuel your body and keep your deficit reasonable (0.5-2 lb per week depending on your current size), you are not going to be able to keep this up. If you are two weeks in and cheating and getting angry at yourself about an omelette this likely won't end well for you.
  • ysalgad2
    ysalgad2 Posts: 17 Member
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. Your comments are mostly all similar so that tells me I've been doing this "healthy eating" thing wrong. It's great to hear I can enjoy my food and not worry too much about weight fluctuations. I've been told by a few people that going hardcore dieting at the begging is a great way to get fast results. I was planning on becoming lenient on the bad food I ate later on after I managed to lose a sufficient number of pounds. I'll have to re-plan my diet.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I think it's more important to have a diet (noun) that is sustainable and that includes your calorie goal. We all want fast results but losing in a healthy manner trumps that. If you find yourself being too restrictive it may lead to a binge and/or quitting later on.

Find a balance (I like the 80/20 guideline myself) and don't label foods bad. That label only causes guilt.

As far as detoxes and cleanses go, there is no need. That is what your liver and kidneys are for.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    i regret i didnt buy more beer for today......
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    I freaking hope this is a JOKE.

Done with these forums. Just effing done now.

ok, see ya!
  • yourhiddengem
    yourhiddengem Posts: 171 Member
    I deeply regret a good many things I've done over the years, but taking a bite of omelette isn't one of them

This made me laugh.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    i regret nothing.

NOTHING I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. Your comments are mostly all similar so that tells me I've been doing this "healthy eating" thing wrong. It's great to hear I can enjoy my food and not worry too much about weight fluctuations. I've been told by a few people that going hardcore dieting at the begging is a great way to get fast results. I was planning on becoming lenient on the bad food I ate later on after I managed to lose a sufficient number of pounds. I'll have to re-plan my diet.

Weight gain is not, fundamentally, a product of the type of food you eat, it's a product of the amount of food you eat.

For the sake of your long-term health and well-being, you should eat a balance of nutrient-rich foods, but treats are fine, too- as long as you're hitting your calorie goals. That probably means much smaller portions of everything than you're used to, but it is not- despite what well-meaning friends and not-so-well-meaning diet salespeople will tell you- a matter of always choosing a salad, or cutting out certain types of food altogether. It's a matter of learning how much energy your body needs from food to maintain, learning how much food it takes to get that amount of energy and then eating slightly less than that until you reach the weight you want, then eating that amount exactly, forever.

If you restrict yourself to just lettuce and cayenne pepper for two weeks, will you see fast results? Sure. And you'll be miserable, and you'll stop and binge (probably long before the two week mark) and the pounds you lost will rapidly return, and probably bring some friends.

If you restrict yourself from eating anything you've categorized as "unhealthy" but still eat at a moderate amount, will you see results? Sure. But you won't maintain that forever, and when you "become more lenient on the bad food" later, as you put it, you'll gain all the weight back.

Weight loss is fundamentally not about learning what foods are best for you- that's important, and definitely worth investigating for health, but it's not what will lose you weight. Weight loss is about creating a caloric deficit so your body burns off excess fat. You want to do it in a way that you can maintain for as long as it takes, and that teaches you how to think about and approach eating in a way that will help you maintain your goal weight forever. Any method that's "hardcore" is fundamentally doomed to failure for 99% of us, because no matter how rapidly you see results, you *will not maintain them* if you don't also learn how to eat in a reasonable manner that doesn't create a caloric excess for the rest of your life.

If you approach weight loss as a quick fix, it will be just that- a quick fix that doesn't last. It has to come from a sustainable change.

The way you ate for years made you fat. You have to change the way you eat permanently and sustainably (which means learning how to incorporate the "unhealthy" foods you crave without eating to excess) or no matter how rapidly you lose, you will regain all the fat in the end.
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    And keep in mind ysalgad, omelettes/eggs are healthy food--just in case you've believed all the low fat "eggs are bad for you" hype that's been around over the past 30 years. I'm glad they've finally disproven that because I never believed it anyway :smile:
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    This is my weight log following a 2-week cruise (aka, a 2-week binge). A lot of the time when you have a "bad" day/week the associated weight gain is either from water retention or the fact you simply have more food inside of you. Don't stress.

q8tp35kq4zxb.png