Too full to meet minimum calorie requirements...

Options
...what do you do?? On days when I workout, I find it tough to meet requirements (and I already have them at the minimum 1200). Today I was almost 300 calories under and had to force myself to drink a smoothie, even though I was so full and it was late. Help!!

Replies

• RitaPrior
    RitaPrior Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just asked myself the same thing. I am sooo fully but I need to hit 1200.
  • forgetregret
    forgetregret Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Um peanut butter or nuts?
  • amy_p
    amy_p Posts: 82
    Options
    I usually do smoothies too.. depending on how many calories I need, I may add peanut butter to it.

I'm in that boat tonight.. I was just at my calories for the day, then I went and burned 400 cals, and had to make it up.

I don't lose weight unless I try to eat back my exercise calories, so it's defiantly necessary for me.
  • tappytaptap
    Options
    if im not hungry i dont eat, if you dont always eat back your cals its not a huge issue as long as you try to eat about 1200
  • britachu
    britachu Posts: 157
    Options
    Peanut butter or almonds/other nuts, as someone else suggested, are calorie dense foods but still not "junk". Or if you want a little sweet and don't mind the extra sugars, put some nutella in your smoothie or on a slice of toast.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Then how did you get fat in the first place?

Come on, now.

6 servings of peanut butter = 1200 calories. There. Now you are out of excuses.
  • JulieJacobus
    JulieJacobus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have heard that if you really aren't hungry, there is no need to eat. It's not so much how much you eat, but what you eat that is important...i.e....protein is better than simple carbs, even if they are the same calorie content.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options

Come on, now.

6 tbsp. of peanut butter = 1200 calories. There. Now you are out of excuses.

-thumbs up- good quote. But since moderators say we can't recommend anything against the site, since it's "UNHEALTHY" so KEEP EATING, eat more... drink a shake with peanut butter, bananas add some table sugar... etc... you'll be fine. and THIN
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It won't hurt to occasionally have your net calories under 1200, just don't make a habit of it. Otherwise your weight loss will slow down. I'm having that problem today...burned 1600 calories exercising. Can't possibly eat all that.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

Come on, now.

6 tbsp. of peanut butter = 1200 calories. There. Now you are out of excuses.

I truly believe as we change our lifestyle, our stomachs change too. If your body is used to only eating small amounts - it won't be hungry like it was when you were eating tons of food.

People "get fat" for a ton of different reasons - medications, injuries, eating too much or just plain eating the WRONG things. The OP is trying to get healthy and is obviously unsure how to handle the lack of hunger. How about trying to offer advice instead of being snide?

If you aren't hungry - don't force yourself to eat. But, I would recommend eating more earlier in the day on the days you know you're going to workout. THEN you're getting the calories you need and will still net 1200 calories with exercise.
  • annieemmons
    annieemmons Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with tappytaptap.
    If you're full, don't eat. It's not like the food you ate today was the energy used for that exercise anyway. It takes time to break down the food you ate into calories, you know? You're really more likely burning the calories from yesterday or a few days ago anyhow. It's the whole basis of athletes who carb load the day before an event, and don't each as much the day of the event.

In fact I think I have caused myself some problems by overeating because I looked at my totals when not hungry in the slightest and said, "Ooh, 200 calories. I can totally eat a brownie!" Sometimes it's better to listen to one's body. As long as you are generally staying at the calorie goal norms, you'll be fine.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be unnecessarily snide.

But we're all adults here. If you can't figure out how to inject your diet with more calorie-dense foods, then I have a comment for you about density. :laugh:

This gets asked a lot and most of the time it seems like some sort of brag. Like, "Oh, I'm not hungry. I'm so weird. Look at me."

Not saying OP is doing that. In fact, it doesn't sound like that's what is happening at all. But how difficult is it to search for higher-calorie foods and add them to your day?

:tongue:
  • plagirl227
    plagirl227 Posts: 134
    Options
    ....But, I would recommend eating more earlier in the day on the days you know you're going to workout. THEN you're getting the calories you need and will still net 1200 calories with exercise.

This... This way also serves 2 purposes. If you eat, you HAVE to do the exercise. ;-)
  • catie224
    catie224 Posts: 50
    Options
    I find that blunt and insulting to people with legitimate reasons for weight gain.

I'm actually not "fat;" I am 5'9'' and around 150lbs, which makes my BMI 22.1, basically as average as possible. I use this site as a means of staying healthy as I recover from multiple sports-related surgeries.

This posting was a legitimate question, and definitely not meant to create a debate over the merits of MFP or any of its users.
  • catie224
    Options
    I'm not concerned about finding calorie-dense foods--clearly I made a smoothie earlier--just about whether it's smarter to pass up on the remaining calories when you're full, or very important to eat them.
  • registers
    Options
    I'm not concerned about finding calorie-dense foods--clearly I made a smoothie earlier--just about whether it's smarter to pass up on the remaining calories when you're full, or very important to eat them.

What do you "think" will happen if you eat more, compared to less?
  • catie224
    Options

Well, I either eat the 1200 goal, or am under it. It's not recommended to be under 1200 net cals/day, but I've also know that exercise speeds up your metabolism, which could potential balance out the lower calorie intake. I was hoping to hear from someone who had experienced the same issue, and had a results-based reply.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    dont worry about it..you wont 'starve'
  • registers
    Options

Well, I either eat the 1200 goal, or am under it. It's not recommended to be under 1200 net cals/day, but I've also know that exercise speeds up your metabolism, which could potential balance out the lower calorie intake. I was hoping to hear from someone who had experienced the same issue, and had a results-based reply.

Thanks for supporting my point. All jokes a side.You shouldn't force feed yourself, that's how health people gained weight in the first place. If you're not hungry don't eat. The more you over eat, the more you're training yourself to over eat. Not a good thing.

As you said exercise speeds up your metabolism which is true. You think if you eat 1150 calories in one day, you're metabolism is going to slow down The entire starvation mode theory, is partially true and partially not true. The theory is, "if you reduce your calories to a low level you will lose muscle mass and slow down your metabolism and you'll stop losing weight."

What if I was eating 3000 calories and exercise, i stopped losing weight, so I reduce my calories to 2500... There will be a point I do lose muscle mass and my metabolism slows down and I stop getting results. This can happen at 5000 calories, or 500 calories, makes no difference. So I'll be in starvation mode eating 3000 calories? yeah right.

My general message is don't force feed yourself based on a "inaccurate" number.
  • mnldreams
    mnldreams Posts: 21
    Options
    how do you change your min requirement? I never meet my calories no matter how hard i try, especially on work out days also. it might help if i can change it to 1200 instead, can someone help?