Low Resting heartrate

Options
Hello,
I'm Marie and Ive had this question in mybmind for a while. I'm a runner and am in pretty good shape my resting heartrate averages on about 55 but can get as low as 49 sometimes. Does a low heart rate effect calories burned a day? I know that heartrate gas something to do with calories burned during exercise...Sorry I'm just confused. Thanks ti everyone in advance!

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    i dont think so. most athletes have super low RHR

mine hovers in the low 50s regularly.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, it's all about muscle. The more you have, the higher your BMR. 55 is a great resting heart rate but doesn't really factor into how many calories you should eat.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    No. It is a common misconception that HR is directly related to calories burned. There is a relationship between VO2 max and HR that allows for a calorie burned estimation.

You are fine.
  • Ballyh14
    Ballyh14 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    No. It is a common misconception that HR is directly related to calories burned. There is a relationship between VO2 max and HR that allows for a calorie burned estimation.

You are fine.

Can you (or anyone else) explain that to me if you don't mind? I'm interested in the science of iy
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Ballyh14 wrote: »

You are fine.

Can you (or anyone else) explain that to me if you don't mind? I'm interested in the science of iy

I'm not that great at it but this might help
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • Ballyh14
    Options
    Wow thanks
  • journeyofthecoconut
    Options
    Your resting heart rate sounds great! Anything from 48-68 is fine as long as youre not experiencing palpitations & dizziness. I began to experience a lower heart rate the more I began to run & my cardiologist not only assured me this was normal & healthy but I also passed a stress test with flying colors. To be fair however, I am NOT a physician but you sound like youre doing ok!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Low resting heart rate means all that running has done its job, strengthened your heart and made your entire cardiovascular system more efficient. At rest, your heart doesn't have to work as hard.
  • c613477
    c613477 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Your resting heart rate sounds great! Anything from 48-68 is fine as long as youre not experiencing palpitations & dizziness. I began to experience a lower heart rate the more I began to run & my cardiologist not only assured me this was normal & healthy but I also passed a stress test with flying colors. To be fair however, I am NOT a physician but you sound like youre doing ok!

I am just curious here... Was that range something you read somewhere or your cardiologist said that? I am bradycardic as well, but I am seeing it below those values. Sometimes 40 or 39. I had a few tests years ago when I was going for a surgery and they stopped everything since they were afraid of putting me under. I think mine was always low since I was a child. My oldest boy has bradycardia as well. Honestly I feel that my hr monitor underestimates my effort and calories because of my below normal heart rate.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Your resting heart rate sounds great! Anything from 48-68 is fine as long as youre not experiencing palpitations & dizziness.

Yeah if your not feeling dizzy or light headed and if your heart rate goes up high when exercising, my understanding is your ok.

But unless I am mistaken a heat rate under 60 is the definition from bradycardia, but again if your not feeling any effects I wouldn't worry.

imbrxbpjhmpw.jpgI would not class me as an athlete. That's my rate according to my fit bit now. Spoke to my doctor, said its fine since I'm not feeling any effects and I can get up to 130-150 when exercising.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Note quite the question you asked but you should keep in mind that a low resting heart rate can also be indicative of other issues. I only started donating blood about 5 years ago and I would often get questions/comments on my athleticism due to my low heart rate even when not exercising regularly. I'd just laugh it off as funny since I am overweight. Got a Fitbit with HR and saw my regular resting heartrate was around 60-65 drop for over 6 months, then suddenly it dropped down to 50-55 (it was 44 when I gave blood a few weeks ago) sure the fact that I was running regularly played a part in that drop but not that much (and I hadn't been running for 3 months when I got the 44). Turns out I have a thyroid issue. The Dr was sure my the results would come back normal, imagine her surprise when they came back out of the normal range and then the other tests they did came back 4-5 times higher than the normal range i.e. normal was up to 60 mine came back 240 and 308 indicating I did infact have the autoimmune disease that affects your thyroid function. I am still going through testing etc to see how much it fluctuates and its not at a level where they medicate yet (unless I hadnt yet had kids then it would be different again).

It was actually a post on here where someone mentioned how low their RHR got while Dr's were sorting out his diagnosis that sparked me to look into it. Once I read the symptoms i realised the things I had thought were due to having glandular fever several years ago were actually side affects of a underactive thyroid.

So it can be normal to have a low RHR or can can be a symptom of something else.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,579 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Your resting heart rate sounds great! Anything from 48-68 is fine as long as youre not experiencing palpitations & dizziness.

Yeah if your not feeling dizzy or light headed and if your heart rate goes up high when exercising, my understanding is your ok.

But unless I am mistaken a heat rate under 60 is the definition from bradycardia, but again if your not feeling any effects I wouldn't worry.

imbrxbpjhmpw.jpgI would not class me as an athlete. That's my rate according to my fit bit now. Spoke to my doctor, said its fine since I'm not feeling any effects and I can get up to 130-150 when exercising.

I can top that! My resting heart rate I'll get any of these days (I guess around 50) but my max HR is at over 205.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Ballyh14 wrote: »

You are fine.

I'm not that great at it but this might help
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

Generally true for the HRM thing (with caveats.)

HOWEVER, a low HR is a sign of possible issues. Please go and discuss with your doctor. Unless you are a developed athlete HR in the low 50 or 40 can be a sign of several issues - best discussed with a doctor (can include functional heart issues, hypothyroidism, etc...).

• Ballyh14
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who replied.