vegetarian noob question

Options
Are quest bars and protein powder lacto-vegetarian friendly? Sorry, new to this for 2 weeks now, having major headaches so guessing I'm lacking my protein intake. Any suggestions? Thanks fit fam I appreciate it!

Replies

• jGallagherisemailing
    Options
    First thing I would check for headache is water intake. It might be that you are slightly dehydrated. And just water- not juice or drinks- but just pure water
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't think headaches mean lack of protein, probable either lack of water or you ate a lot of junk before and now you don't, like when you quit caffeine and you go through withdrawls
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    But if you want more protein, try vega one protein powder. 20g protein per serving. The mocha flavour is great
  • BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Agree it's probably dehydration but if your worried about protein levels stay away from whey protein it's animal milk based, ergo not vegetarian lacto friendly.

I use MRM Veggie Protein powder as a top up to meet my macro goals. It's completely organic and made of a balanced mixture of plant based protein sources, to aid consistent absorption. Plus it tastes great :smile:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    BunnyBomb wrote: »
    Agree it's probably dehydration but if your worried about protein levels stay away from whey protein it's animal milk based, ergo not vegetarian lacto friendly.

I use MRM Veggie Protein powder as a top up to meet my macro goals. It's completely organic and made of a balanced mixture of plant based protein sources, to aid consistent absorption. Plus it tastes great :smile:

Lacto-vegetarians *do* consume milk, so whey protein would be something they would include in their diet.
  • hokagenoob
    hokagenoob Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Lacto-vegetarians *do* consume milk, so whey protein would be something they would include in their diet.

So meaning quest bars are a yes?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    hokagenoob wrote: »

So meaning quest bars are a yes?

I am not familiar with the ingredients of Quest bars, but *if* the only animal product in them is whey protein, then they would be suitable for lacto-vegetarians.
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    Vegetarians only avoid meat so I doubt there is meat in protein bars. You're probably safe.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Melmo1988 wrote: »
    Vegetarians only avoid meat so I doubt there is meat in protein bars. You're probably safe.

There may be gelatin, though (not sure if they actually do, but it's worth checking)
  • janejellyroll
    Options

There may be gelatin, though (not sure if they actually do, but it's worth checking)

I got curious, so I Googled. No gelatin.

OP, it looks like these bars are appropriate for lacto-vegetarians.
  • Melmo1988
    Options

What is a lacto vegetarian? Because vegetarians eat dairy without the extra label needed
  • janejellyroll
    Options

What is a lacto vegetarian? Because vegetarians eat dairy without the extra label needed

It's a way to identify a vegetarian who eats dairy but may not eat other animal products. A lacto-ovo vegetarian eats dairy and eggs. My default assumption would be that someone who identifies as a lacto-vegetarian wouldn't eat eggs.
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    I'm sorry lol but maybe it's just me I think all the labels are ridiculous. Vegan and vegetarian is the only ones that you need. Why bother putting further labels on yourself.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry lol but maybe it's just me I think all the labels are ridiculous. Vegan and vegetarian is the only ones that you need. Why bother putting further labels on yourself.

Perhaps if you're looking for information about ingredients in foods? You know, the entire point of this thread.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

If you were planning a meal for someone (or offering them advice on whether or not a certain protein bar will fit their dietary needs), it would be helpful to know what they do and don't eat. Why is it ridiculous to have a way to refer to someone who doesn't eat meat and eggs but does eat dairy? There are situations where this information would be useful.

It's not like she's introducing the label in a discussion where it isn't germane. If she just asked "Can I eat Quest bars?" without providing the information, nobody would know what she was asking or what to tell her.
  • Melmo1988
    Options

Perhaps if you're looking for information about ingredients in foods? You know, the entire point of this thread.

Then say you're a vegetarian who doesn't eat (blank) people get so confused what all these labels mean, and often times they spread misinformation. I had a friend tell me that vegans eat fish. No need to make it so complicated.
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    I'm just saying to me it seems silly, but call yourself what you want, to each his own.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Then say you're a vegetarian who doesn't eat (blank) people get so confused what all these labels mean, and often times they spread misinformation. I had a friend tell me that vegans eat fish. No need to make it so complicated.

In this instance, OP has chosen the best and most accurate term for how she eats, a term that allows people to offer her helpful advice. And instead you want her to use "vegetarian," something that make it harder for people to help her as it includes people who eat foods that she avoids (eggs).

Someone identifying as a lacto-vegetarian has nothing to do with why some people think vegans eat fish.

Some people think vegans eat fish because some people who self-identify as vegans eat fish. In this instance, having better ways to describe certain restrictions (and having people use them consistently) would actually *help*. Getting rid of useful terms that describe dietary restrictions or limiting people to using just "vegetarian" or "vegan" -- what you're advocating -- would make the problem worse.

Simple: I'm a lacto-vegetarian.
    More complicated: I'm a vegetarian who does eat dairy but doesn't eat eggs.

Not that there is anything wrong with people using either method, but I'm honestly perplexed as to why you think the simplest solution is actually making things more complicated.
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    Just my opinion, like I said call yourself what you want. To ME it seems complicated. To each his own.
  • Melmo1988
    edited February 2016
    Options
    And I didn't mean to say that the op should call themselves a vegetarian, just that I didn't know what a lacto vegetarian was so I didn't realize there are vegetarians who eat dairy but not eggs. So I think the reason it seems more complicated to me is that not everyone will know what a lacto vegetarian is, or possibly the other labels people use.