under calorie limit but naughty foods

Options
How does it work if your under your weight loss plan calorie limit but your still eating some naughty foods like muesli bars. The trainer at the gym reckons calorie counting is too simplified "we calorie count, our body doesn't" ie. The body just sees sugar and even though it may not take you over your calorie limit it may cause you to gain weight because of how your body reacts to sugar. So yea I know I shouldn't be eating sugar laden muesli bars for my healths same but if I do but keep to my calorie limit will I put on weight??

Total novice here.

Replies

• QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    The trainer is educated to train you, they're not educated in nutrition. As long as you are within your calorie goal you won't gain.

The foods you eat might influence your satiety level though.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I don't lable my foods as naughty and nice. My puppy can be naughty. My food is just food. If you're over calories you'll gain weight, if you're eating at a deficit you'll lose.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Most people will tell you it calories vs calories out. Some may add the quality of the calories makes a difference to how you feel i.e. I could have all my calories allowance in chocolate but I'll probably be hungry/tired and generally feel like crap.

Dont beat yourself up over a muesli bar, just try not to make a habit of it.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as bad food, only bad diets.

Brb having chocolate...
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with sugar. Many foods naturally have sugar in them, like fruit. The body doesn't differentiate between naturally occurring and added sugars, so you can eat both just fine. The reason one might need to watch sugar intake is if they have a medical issue.

Sugar does not make you fat. Excess calories makes everyone fat.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    lexylondon wrote: »
    How does it work if your under your weight loss plan calorie limit but your still eating some naughty foods like muesli bars. The trainer at the gym reckons calorie counting is too simplified "we calorie count, our body doesn't" ie. The body just sees sugar and even though it may not take you over your calorie limit it may cause you to gain weight because of how your body reacts to sugar. So yea I know I shouldn't be eating sugar laden muesli bars for my healths same but if I do but keep to my calorie limit will I put on weight??

Total novice here.

Tell your trainer to keep his "reckoning" to training, because his nutrition advice is worthless. If you're in a calorie deficit, you don't store fat/weight. Period.

katem999 wrote:
    Exactly.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    A muesli bar actually sounds like something one might eat to avoid being nagged about eating healthy
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I have s Registered Dietician that guides my diet when I consult her. A calorie is a calorie whether it comes from a candy bar or a huge serving of vegetables. I have Cold Stone ice cream several times pet week and lose weight. I factor those calories in to my daily calorie allotment.
  • lexylondon
    lexylondon Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Total novice here.

Tell your trainer to keep his "reckoning" to training, because his nutrition advice is worthless. If you're in a calorie deficit, you don't store fat/weight. Period.

katem999 wrote:
    Exactly.

Yeh thought it was strange. They are vegan though and very strict on what they eat so...

Until I can curb my sugar cravings down to fruit I will continue my occasional muesli bars and avalanche hot chocolate guilt free...

• Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I eat mini snickers or milky ways and sweet coconut vanilla popcorn is a favourite sweet treat. But it fits in my allowance. I'm still losing consistently. And I don't work out or walk regularly. It is about calories. Though too much sugar does make me feel bad. So I watch it now.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    All I can say is my naughty foods are WAYYYY naughtier than yours! Muesli bar?? ~snorts~

sorry:couldn't resist!
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I often finish the day with a hundred or so calories left over. I double check my diary to ensure that I've accurately recorded everything and then spend the remaining calories on treats like chocolate, sweets, ice cream or cake. I'm still losing each week.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I eat a big danish pastry for breakfast a couple of times a week and that hasn't stopped me losing weight :)
  • marcosvarela41
    marcosvarela41 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My advice is to set a day usually the end of the week and choose thst day to have a cheat meal. Use it as a way to reward yourself for the work you have done for the week. Also idk about anyone on here but my nutritionist tells me to have one cheat meal a week, just to continue to throw my body off. Your body is smart so if u continue to eat the same foods day in and day out, your body will almost become stagnant. Unless your in a huge deficit. So have one high caloric day is not bad because it will keep your metabolism working properly. Also if u choose to eat those bars eat them post workout. Sugar aka dextrose aka any gast absorbing carbs are good post workout because it helps deliver protien to your muscles quicker. Sorry for the long message.
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Trainer is talking nonsense. I lost 20lbs last spring and then have maintained since by sticking to my cals. Throughout, I've had two nice chocolates from a box every evening with my coffee, a cereal bar every morning as a snack, and pizza every Wednesday night!

The only thing if you eat too much sugary junk is that it can make you feel hungrier so you eat more and go over your allowance. It can also mess with your mood a bit, giving you more ups and downs rather than steady energy. But a calorie is a calorie.

I think most people watching their diet are either moderators or abstainers. I'm a moderator - I can't give up chocolate, alcohol etc, completely. I'd be miserably. I still have those things but in moderation, and within my calorie goal. Other people are abstainers - they can't have just a little bit of the 'naughtier' foods - so they prefer to cut them out completely.
  • avonarlene86
    avonarlene86 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have a digestive biscuit with a cup of tea or a curly wurly (from the fridge, lasts longer!), and marshmallows in the cupboard. I make sure I have a small portion so that I'm satisfying my sweet tooth. Friday, I went for a 3 course dinner including cheesecake, was 500 cals over my daily limit, weighed in today and have lost 3lbs!! Unless you can't stop yourself, a little bit of what you fancy won't hurt, just try to count it and plan it in xx
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    eringurl33 wrote: »
    I eat mini snickers or milky ways and sweet coconut vanilla popcorn is a favourite sweet treat. But it fits in my allowance. I'm still losing consistently. And I don't work out or walk regularly. It is about calories. Though too much sugar does make me feel bad. So I watch it now.

omg i love coconut and vanilla popcorn - its like the best tasting ever!
  • lexylondon
    lexylondon Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    And ps the muesli bars are full of sugar! So although they are not the worst they are far from great nutrition.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    And ps the muesli bars are full of sugar! So although they are not the worst they are far from great nutrition.

A bar has 9g of sugar. Last week I averaged 73g/day, so that would only put a small dent in the total amount of sugar I eat.

Besides, nutritional value is not correlated with sugar content. If it was, fruits wouldn't be nutritious. They tend to have a lot of sugar relative to the total number of calories, but they also tend to have a lot of vitamins.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Total novice here.

Your trainer doesn't know how the body works. Or the first rule of physics club.