Different types of foods?

Options
My parents go to the grocery store maybe once every week. When they get home, they are NOT going to Wal-Mart to buy "special" foods. How do i make good, healthy foods out of simple ingredients. Sorry but I can't provide my exact quantity, measurements, and size of my fridge and cabinet. But please assume and post simple recipes please thanks. If this post is in the wrong section please let me know, don't delete.

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Eat lean proteins (Chicken, beef, pork or fish) with fresh vegetables and fruits. Eat your carbs (bread, pasta, potatoes) in small amounts. Try not to eat anything white - no white bread, potatoes, or sugar. Eat whole grains.
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Tuna, eggs, lean lunch meats (just watch the sodium), yogurt (watch the sugar), cottage cheese (low sodium), fruits, and vegetables - these are all your friends.

The things you will struggle with are the grains - you need whole grains for a good, healthy diet. Oatmeal, brown rice, barley.

None of these things are fancy or require a special trip anywhere.

I just had the MOST delicious dinner - and SOOO filling - here's what I ate:

2 eggs - boiled. put the egg whites in a bowl and puree with a hand blender. Add one can of chunk light tuna in water. add the egg yolks and a little bit of pickle relish and a TINY splash of white vinegar. divide in two and wrap half in a 100 calorie whole grain tortilla-style wraps (or you could use pita, or whole grain sandwich thins). I added some lettuce for crunch. It was sooooo good! No special ingredients required.

Good luck!
  • flutterbee3
    Options
    What do you like and what kinds of foods do your parents buy? Are there fruits and veggies in your house?
  • RoshadReid
    RoshadReid Posts: 24
    Options
    What do you like and what kinds of foods do your parents buy? Are there fruits and veggies in your house?

Yep! Bananas, grapes, apples, pineapples, and occasional oranges. We have lots of veggies such as corn, green beans, baby carrots, and peas. I like fried stuff but OBVIOUSLY i have to get out of that mind set. They usually buy stuff that they can cook quick. Not TV Dinners, but not full home-cooked meals, such as Hamburger Helper and such.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options

Yep! Bananas, grapes, apples, pineapples, and occasional oranges. We have lots of veggies such as corn, green beans, baby carrots, and peas. I like fried stuff but OBVIOUSLY i have to get out of that mind set. They usually buy stuff that they can cook quick. Not TV Dinners, but not full home-cooked meals, such as Hamburger Helper and such.

Not sure what your family situation is like, but maybe volunteer to cook every now and then and ditch the hamburger helper in place for some burgers/meatloaf/meatballs with whole wheat pasta (just make sure it's lean beef).