Fish oil?

Options
What's everyone's opinion on fish oil supplements? Does it actually lower your cholesterol?

Replies

• Vertythegreat
    Vertythegreat Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, but I do know that the burps the whole day after taking fish oil is the worst thing in the world.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, but I do know that the burps the whole day after taking fish oil is the worst thing in the world.

Yep. This was my experience. Horrible. Way worse than any benefit they may contain.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Buy burp free fish oil.... also take it before you go to bed... easy fixes....
  • morganinspires
    morganinspires Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I also heard putting them in the freezer helps reduce the fishy burps. I never had that problem when I took them. I want to do all the preventive actions I can.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Sometimes triglycerides can come down after taking fish oil or other omega 3s
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Good stuff, but we no longer worry about cholesterol. Take it for your heart and brain.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I hate it. The idea of spending money on somehing that tastes nasty and makes you burp, and has calories without being food - NOOOO! I eat fatty fish, it's part of my diet, and I love it.
  • BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat Salmon as opposed to taking fish oil supplements.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    eat the fish.

my ex used to take it but (1) we ate a lot of fish and (2) it had no effect on his cholesterol levels.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    BunnyBomb wrote: »
    I prefer to eat Salmon as opposed to taking fish oil supplements.

Agreed. We try and eat fish at least once a week...sometimes more.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I have doubts that fish oil supplements kept on store shelves for ages aren't rancid. If I was going to take a fish oil supplement I would pick a refrigerated liquid one, that said I just eat fish.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I take flax seed oil pills and eat fish 3 times a week.
  • morganinspires
    morganinspires Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just really cannot tolerate fish unless it's fried or covered in tarter sauce.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    You can always try krill or algae oil supplements if fish oil doesn't agree with you. Most people are able to tolerate algae and krill, even if they can't do regular fish oil.

I've never had a problem with burping it up, though. My favorite is the liquid Arctic Cod-D oil from Nordic Naturals. You get more doses for your money, and it's more potent per serving.
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Never heard of this burping thing and I take them twice a day. I'm not convinced they do anything, but my doctor recommended them years ago, so I have taken them ever since. I don't notice anything different when I take them verses when I forget. Way I figure, it can't hurt and they aren't expensive, so why not?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm on the last of a tub of 300 fish oil capsules. I'm not going to bother getting any more. I was diligent taking 2 every day, but have not felt or seen any difference at all
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I eat sardines every few days if not every day instead of pills
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Never heard of this burping thing and I take them twice a day. I'm not convinced they do anything, but my doctor recommended them years ago, so I have taken them ever since. I don't notice anything different when I take them verses when I forget. Way I figure, it can't hurt and they aren't expensive, so why not?
    I've never experienced this burping. Fish oil supplements have come a long, long way from those days.
    Kirkland - Costco brand fish oil. Never a fish burp for husband and I.
    Buy good brands.
  • JRMJr79
    JRMJr79 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I take fish oil supplements regularly and don't experience the fish burps. I do notice a difference in joint inflammation as I lift weights 6 days a week and when I'm off of fish oil my shoulders and elbows will start to ache. Fish is not a part of my regular diet as the wife is allergic.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Mega Red for over 2 years. Never a burping issue taking it.