Who puts nutrition info on My Fitness Pal?

Options
There's quite a few inconsistencies of nutritional information of food items on here. Just out of curiosity, who is responsible for putting information on here? I wonder if items are verified for accuracy. Thanks in advance.
Also, there is a place I would like to eat at and it's not on here, would I be able to create foods and put in accurate information.

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Users contribute and those that have been verified are marked as such.
  • valskeete
    valskeete Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Never mind. Found it!
  • valskeete
    valskeete Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ok, I understand how foods are added to the public database, and how they appear if verified (green check) but I wonder if an establishment (moderately well known restaurant/coffee shop) doesn't have any foods on MFP; how do I go about that? I don't make the food, don't know their ingredients and more than likely they wouldn't tell me either...
  • Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Depending where you are located their nutritional information should be available. In Australia most restaurants have to make the nutrition information public.
  • NYBalbowa
    NYBalbowa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiousity, what are some examples of meals you are getting from this restaurant? Wondering whether it's something that can be estimated by inputting the ingredients as if you were making it yourself at home. Depends on the meal though. If you suspect something tastes a little too good to be true, consider estimating a bit higher to account of good stuffs like oil and butter.
  • leosmith66
    leosmith66 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I wonder why websites like these have incomplete data, often at the micronutrient level, for food. Are they all drawing their info from one or two databases that see no need to provide info on iodine, boron, biotin, chromium, fluoride, etc? This is pretty important information, so it's unfortunate that one has to look it up elsewhere in order to keep track of it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    leosmith66 wrote: »
    I wonder why websites like these have incomplete data, often at the micronutrient level, for food. Are they all drawing their info from one or two databases that see no need to provide info on iodine, boron, biotin, chromium, fluoride, etc? This is pretty important information, so it's unfortunate that one has to look it up elsewhere in order to keep track of it.

All the foods are entered by mfp users. It would be nice if MFP hired staff to verify entries...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

It's because there is no requirement on a governmental level for those items to be included on labels, so in a huge number of cases, people simply do not have that information to hand when adding an entry.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

All the foods are entered by mfp users. It would be nice if MFP hired staff to verify entries...

exactly this and it was on of the draws that led me to stop logging here and pay for a membership with MyNetDiary, they DO have staff that verifies entries. The final nail in MFP's coffin to me was the changes to the recipe builder, and I'll say that the system for creating recipes over at MyNetDiary isn't stellar either but I was just so frustrated with all the pre-UA-Purchase changes, that I jumped ship anyway.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »

exactly this and it was on of the draws that led me to stop logging here and pay for a membership with MyNetDiary, they DO have staff that verifies entries. The final nail in MFP's coffin to me was the changes to the recipe builder, and I'll say that the system for creating recipes over at MyNetDiary isn't stellar either but I was just so frustrated with all the pre-UA-Purchase changes, that I jumped ship anyway.

I've wondered where you went. Is MyNetDiary worth it?
  • BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    A mandatory US scheme has given restaurant chains until the end of this year to put calorie counts on menus but not full nutrition info.

On top of that the LGA in the United Kingdom has launched a voluntary scheme in mid 2015 to ask restaurants and pub owners to start putting this info on their menus directly.

So change is coming just very slowly...
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    The verified entries are useless. They create a false sense of security. They're incorrect equally if not more often than unverified entries. They need to scrap the whole "feature" and let people start doing their own homework again.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options

Never been a fan of pay-for online subscriptions sites when there is something available for free. That being said...

Looked into MyNetDiary... one year for $60. 6 months for $42... you get the idea.

I'll be maintaining my weight using some form of calorie counting for life so I'll stick with MFP as long as it remains free.
  • Phrick
    Options

it's been well worth it to me. The certainty of the database alone makes it worth it, and has cut the time it takes to record things, significantly (because I don't have to cross-check with 47 other entries and the USDA database and NutritionData.Self.com).

Other things I like:
    • you can track net carbs if you want, so there's no need to create a new entry or worry about if someone entered net carbs or total
    • they have additional trackers for blood glucose, A1C, blood pressure, heart rate, total cholesterol, HDL, LDL, Triglycerides so if you have those health concerns (or are just curious) you can record them in the same program you use to track your food
    • you can manipulate macros as you see fit, by the 1% increment or even by grams if you wish - or you can let it auto-pilot you
    • you can keep tabs on a TON of micros, you're not limited to just a few as you are with MFP
    • They employ a RD who answers questions on their forums
    • The recipe entering system isn't stellar but it's less cumbersome than the "new" one here (and again not having to cross-check entries makes it easier anyway - plus I was mad when I switched LOL) - and when you enter a recipe, they have a place to put in the INSTRUCTIONS AND A PHOTO if you want, which almost automatically makes it superior to here haha
    • It links with Fitbit, Garmin, and Jawbone - BUT, you have to pick ONE (so if you have a Fitbit but use a Garmin watch to track your runs, so sorry but you can't import the data from both or you'll be double-counting - and they don't support Misfit yet although they say it is coming)
    • The tech support team is very responsive, and personally so - I've never received a canned, pre-written standard reply from support when contacted but that seems to be almost auto-generated here at MFP

Things I don't care for as much -
    • you can't link more than one tracking device
    • it only allows you to track up to 15 glasses of water (I know, who give a ----, if you're getting in 15 you're good no matter what, so that's really very minor)
    • the notes section are on a different page than the main page so it can be harder to remember if you want to enter notes simply because you don't see it - again, minor, just not what I was used to
  • Phrick
    Options
    they'll probably delete that list, no promoting other sites and whatnot... I copied it to my blog just in case
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    d_thomas02 wrote: »

Never been a fan of pay-for online subscriptions sites when there is something available for free. That being said...

Looked into MyNetDiary... one year for $60. 6 months for $42... you get the idea.

I'll be maintaining my weight using some form of calorie counting for life so I'll stick with MFP as long as it remains free.

They also offer a free version. It's just tracking and none of the other fancy features, but it's worth taking a look at.
  • leosmith66
    Options
    they have additional trackers for blood glucose
    Do they allow you to make multiple entries per day, and have the ability to graph these? I use cronometer, and they allow multiple entries, but the graph just uses a single value (the average) per day.

How are they regarding micronutrients? For example, do they list the amount of iodine in dulse?

• Phrick
    Options
    they have additional trackers for blood glucose
    Do they allow you to make multiple entries per day, and have the ability to graph these? I use cronometer, and they allow multiple entries, but the graph just uses a single value (the average) per day.

How are they regarding micronutrients? For example, do they list the amount of iodine in dulse?

Unsure. I don't use any of the additional trackers. Given that a lot of what they verify they do simply verify against a photograph of the label (their PhotoFoods feature - if you find something that's not in the database you can use your phone to take and submit a photo of the front label and the nutrition info panel - so if your brand doesn't list a particular micro, they won't include it). Here's the list of all the trackable nutrients, in addition to your standard macros:

Trans Fat
    Saturated Fat
    Polyunsaturated Fat
    Monounsaturated Fat
    Sugar Alcohols
    Cholesterol
    Sodium
    mg
    Net Carbohydrates
    Diabetes Carb Count
    Dietary Fiber
    Sugars

Vitamin A
    Vitamin C
    Calcium(Ca)
    Iron(Fe)
    Vitamin B-6
    Vitamin B-12
    Vitamin D
    Vitamin E
    Vitamin K
    Magnesium(Mg)
    Phosphorus(P)
    Potassium(K)
    Zinc(Zn)
    Copper(Cu)
    Manganese(Mn)
    Selenium(Se)
    Thiamin
    Riboflavin
    Niacin
    Pantothenic Acid
    Total Folate

Alcohol Ethyl
    Caffeine
    Water
    Starch
    Sucrose
    Glucose(Dextrose)
    Fructose
    Lactose
    Maltose
    Carotene Beta
    Carotene Alpha
  • leosmith66
    Options
    thanks for listing those
  • Alatariel75
    Options

it's been well worth it to me. The certainty of the database alone makes it worth it, and has cut the time it takes to record things, significantly (because I don't have to cross-check with 47 other entries and the USDA database and NutritionData.Self.com).

Other things I like:
    • you can track net carbs if you want, so there's no need to create a new entry or worry about if someone entered net carbs or total
    • they have additional trackers for blood glucose, A1C, blood pressure, heart rate, total cholesterol, HDL, LDL, Triglycerides so if you have those health concerns (or are just curious) you can record them in the same program you use to track your food
    • you can manipulate macros as you see fit, by the 1% increment or even by grams if you wish - or you can let it auto-pilot you
    • you can keep tabs on a TON of micros, you're not limited to just a few as you are with MFP
    • They employ a RD who answers questions on their forums
    • The recipe entering system isn't stellar but it's less cumbersome than the "new" one here (and again not having to cross-check entries makes it easier anyway - plus I was mad when I switched LOL) - and when you enter a recipe, they have a place to put in the INSTRUCTIONS AND A PHOTO if you want, which almost automatically makes it superior to here haha
    • It links with Fitbit, Garmin, and Jawbone - BUT, you have to pick ONE (so if you have a Fitbit but use a Garmin watch to track your runs, so sorry but you can't import the data from both or you'll be double-counting - and they don't support Misfit yet although they say it is coming)
    • The tech support team is very responsive, and personally so - I've never received a canned, pre-written standard reply from support when contacted but that seems to be almost auto-generated here at MFP

Things I don't care for as much -
    • you can't link more than one tracking device
    • it only allows you to track up to 15 glasses of water (I know, who give a ----, if you're getting in 15 you're good no matter what, so that's really very minor)
    • the notes section are on a different page than the main page so it can be harder to remember if you want to enter notes simply because you don't see it - again, minor, just not what I was used to

Hmm, thank you for that, it's definitely something to consider. I tried Sparkpeople but ended up back here.