Does walking the dog keep you fit?

Options
I think walking the dog is a great way to get trim what do you think? And how many miles do I need to walk each day?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great exercise. Dogs are great company and provide safety. By all means walk the dog!

Whether it will help you get trim and how many miles you'd need to walk depends on your diet, overall activity level, etc. The faster you walk, the more inclines you add, etc. will burn more calories than a slower walk on level ground.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    How Many Calories Did I Burn?

Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog

How Long: Minutes 60

Calories burned: 285

Looks like 3 miles to burn about 285.
  • time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It depends on your current body composition. If you have a lot of fat to lose walking is a great start. For those with not so much fat to lose I would suggest a higher intensity workout.

• MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I walk daily over my lunch hour as I have a desk job. I walk solely to keep as active as I can, get in my steps. I try for 10-14k per day.

I eat at a deficit to lose weight, walk for general health so Im a not sedentary blob and I lift weights 4x/week to reshape and strengthen my body.
    Your burn will depend on your body comp and intensity.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

Only if you weighed 316 lbs........walking is great exercise but in terms of calories burned its about 30 calories per mile for every 100lbs you weigh (assuming a reasonably level terrain......hiking is different)

source: runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Depends on the dog. The dog that walks slowly and stops every 5 seconds.. not so much.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    make sure your dog is in shape to walk also before putting the miles on him. And keep him well hydrated. Dogs are just like people they need to ease into exercise and be on a good diet and lots of fresh water. Make sure his pads are toughened up if you are gonna go on pavement, he's not wearing shoes.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Walking with dog is a great exercise from my experience. But walking on it's own will not make you lose weight, because that is all about calorie in vs calorie out.
    Also, I don't know what breed of dog you have, but make sure he/she can walk that much.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Walking is good exercise regardless. As far as how many miles per day, if you're walking your dog it depends on them and how far they can go.

• mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Yes, but my dog walks me. Great exercise no matter how much you do. Dogs are great!
  • KaiUneeda
    KaiUneeda Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    I walk daily over my lunch hour as I have a desk job. I walk solely to keep as active as I can, get in my steps. I try for 10-14k per day.

I eat at a deficit to lose weight, walk for general health so Im a not sedentary blob and I lift weights 4x/week to reshape and strengthen my body.
    Your burn will depend on your body comp and intensity.

You are the female equivalent of me.
  • Maryselina
    Maryselina Posts: 22 Member
    Options

• Maryselina
    Options

• Maryselina
    Options
    Well thats better than sitting watching telly. Only do I get to eat the extra points I earn?
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    For a baseline of health, it's recommended to walk/run ~5 miles each day. But, that is to maintain a baseline level of fitness.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    We have two dogs and during weekdays they get a 60 min walk (about 3 miles) and on the weekend we usually go further, for instance this Sunday we did 6.5 miles cross country.

How many calories you'll but depends on heaps of factors, like pace, how often you stop as well as the terrain (undulating walks cross country are harder work than pavement walking etc).

For me walking is something I do on top of other cardio and strength training, and personally I wouldn't eat back walking calories.
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yes!

My only activity is walking my three dogs, except for maybe 30 mins on an exercise bike a few times a week. I walk my dogs for 2 hours every day, and I've lost 74lbs in 11 months! :)
  • Aberpenner
    Aberpenner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do a 6 mile mountain walk 3 times a week and try to get 10000 steps in on other days, usually a quick 40 min walk and treadmill, I absolutely love walking and it's the only form of exercise I have managed to sustain x anything that gets you off the sofa in my opinion is great exercise
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I'd say it depends how you walk him. Me and mine burn rubber every night (1.6 to 3 kms) as fast as we friggin can, and I definitely feel the burn. We also take long, lolly-gagging walks on the weekends that last a couple of hours and are probably not much longer than the weekday walks, and those are probably not as beneficial.
  • StefanyRiley
    StefanyRiley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Put a heavy backpack on before you walk your dog to burn almost as many calories as jogging. I won a weight loss contest at a former job by watching my diet and walking my pup with a heavy pack at night.