Does walking the dog keep you fit?

Options
2»

Replies

• lauraenglandx
    lauraenglandx Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well, it certainly doesn't make you unfit but I wouldn't class it as exercise, nor would I eat back the calories you burn from your walk.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well, it certainly doesn't make you unfit but I wouldn't class it as exercise, nor would I eat back the calories you burn from your walk.

Uh, no. Walking is exercise and is how I lost all my extra weight. I ate back calories burned.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I think of it as interval training :smile: He goes full speed ahead, even bringing me to a light jog sometimes, then comes to a dead stop every few minutes to sniff, pee, and poo. I catch my breath and then he's ready to go again. I love it and, not only is it great exercise, but it's a great way to end the day and get some bonding time in with your pup.
  • stopeatingout
    stopeatingout Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I really think it does help to keep you fit depending on the speed and distance you walk. I have a cockapoo. She is 5yrs and I am a big believer in 'a tired dog is a happy dog'. Ever since we got her she has been walked 2 - 3hrs a day, sometimes more if we go hiking or on an outing for the day. I always log in my walking time as we generally walk briskly enough to elevate my HR. I think its a great low impact exercise and helps loosen up the joints! I rarely see overweight people out regularly walking their dogs (probably a coincidence but....).
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i run with my dog.

she slows me down a little but i dont care LOL
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    @callsitlikeiseeit
    Mine is only just coming to the realization that we are only going to jog, not frigging try to break a land speed record when I cycle up from a walk. I can't imagine him ever slowing me down.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    @callsitlikeiseeit
    Mine is only just coming to the realization that we are only going to jog, not frigging try to break a land speed record when I cycle up from a walk. I can't imagine him ever slowing me down.

lololol yeah mine gets distracted and wants to play. i wish shed pick up the pace.lololol

my other dog just gets normal little walks. he has to stop at EVERYTHING
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It depends on your current level of fitness. I'm pretty fit so walking for me is great low impact activity, but it does next to nothing for my fitness.
  • phildog49
    phildog49 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    A chicken walking a dog? That's something I gotta see... :D
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    phildog49 wrote: »
    A chicken walking a dog? That's something I gotta see... :D

i always get to these things too late! lol
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My dog and i walk as often as we can and anywhere between 1 to 3 miles depending on our route through the neighborhood. I've tried upping him to running but he can't pace himself and I end up carrying him back. And since he weighs what I've lost it's an interesting reminder why I lost the weight lol!! I can't say that it's helped me to lose weight but I can't say it hasn't either. I just figure the movement is good for both of us!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It'll burn extra calories compared to not walking.

After doing it for a bit it will no longer be a workout to your body - no longer requiring improvement to do the activity.

It will become maintenance mode level of activity. Which may be just fine.

But - if you lose weight while doing it, unless you speed up the pace to compensate for moving around less weight - you will actually loose fitness because it's even less effort on your body to accomplish it.
    So carry more weight.

Unless you start speed walking and including good hills - walking reaches a point it's not longer asking for improvements.

walking 4 mph for me hits about 90 HR and is great for warmup and cooldown to an actual workout that pushes the system. But that's for about 5 minutes - any more than that and I feel like I'm taking valuable time away from a better workout.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Yes, I alternate just walking the dog, 2-3 miles, with hiking with the dog, same distances but with a 1200' elevation gain. Walking is good for both of you. Not everyone can run so walking a lot is a good substitute. Walking with a heavy pack, also good.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    How Many Calories Did I Burn?

Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog

How Long: Minutes 60

Calories burned: 285

Looks like 3 miles to burn about 285.

Only if you weighed 316 lbs........walking is great exercise but in terms of calories burned its about 30 calories per mile for every 100lbs you weigh (assuming a reasonably level terrain......hiking is different)

source: runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning

True, that's net vs gross calories and most people don't understand the difference. Rough terrain will add a bit too the total but unless it's a good hike it probably won't be significant.

However, walking is a good exercise and can really help you lose weight with low impact on the body.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well thats better than sitting watching telly. Only do I get to eat the extra points I earn?

there are no bonus points for being less or more than a couch potato.
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely! I lost my baby weight in 2012 by watching my calories and walking every day. Lost 35 lbs. Walking is great exercise.