Gained weight today? How?!

I've been weighing every day as I find that helps keep me focused and on task.
Since recently recommitting to weight loss efforts I have shown a loss every day (half a pound or so).
Yesterday I walked a TON...over 150 active minutes per fitbit. I also wasn't very hungry and I ended up eating less than 1,200 cals. I didn't go to bed hungry, it was strange but I went with my body's signals and didn't force food down just to hit calorie target.

I was sure that I would show a loss this morning....but instead I GAINED a half a pound. It's so disheartening. BTW I am not close to a healthy weight. I have 30 pounds to go before I hit the top of my healthy BMI (I've lost almost 20 pounds so far).

Anyone else experienced a gain after doing everything "right"? I hit my protein macro, was under for carbs and fat.

Replies

• ama3387
    ama3387 Posts: 242 Member
    I'm feeling the same way today. I had a bad day yesterday and this morning it said I gained 3lbs. I'm feeling very discouraged
  • Ladybird1103
    Ladybird1103 Posts: 36 Member
    Thanks! I will read through that.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    You walked a lot, do your muscles ache? Water weight packs on while your muscles repair themselves. As for Ama3387, the extra food in your gut and sodium retaining water will flush in a day or two. Both of you just need to drink plenty of hydrating water and give it a day or two.
  • Ladybird1103
    ama3387 wrote: »
    I'm feeling the same way today. I had a bad day yesterday and this morning it said I gained 3lbs. I'm feeling very discouraged

That I'm sure must be food weight still in your body plus water retention from extra sodium. I would rather be in your shoes! :) I'm sure after a few "good" days you will be showing a loss. I'm just so confused that I could show a gain after having a great day in terms of calories in vs calories out.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Prob too much protein, and not enough fat. Shoot for 20/20/60.
  • Irish1951
    Irish1951 Posts: 6 Member
    Your wt. fluctuates during the week. Many in the medical fields recommend weight to be done 1x/ week. Theat would reduce your discouragement
  • hemilovee
    hemilovee Posts: 82 Member
    Sometimes it can be water weight. Also you're supposed to weight your self at the same time everyday since your weight changes at different times. For example if you weight your self after lunch you'll weight a lb heavier since you had breakfast and lunch etc.
  • Ladybird1103
    You walked a lot, do your muscles ache? Water weight packs on while your muscles repair themselves. As for Ama3387, the extra food in your gut and sodium retaining water will flush in a day or two. Both of you just need to drink plenty of hydrating water and give it a day or two.

Good point, yes my legs do ache. I will drink a lot of water and take it easy on the exercise front today. I haven't had an "off day" in over a week - been pushing myself to get over 15,000 steps a day. Maybe a break will let my body do what it needs to do.
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    bw6bog0rz5jl.png example of daily fluctuations but an overall downward trend
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    I am a daily weigher as well but you have to remember that your weight will flacuate up and down. As long as your trend is mostly down, I wouldn't worry!! Use the daily weigh in to track how your body deals with things like increased working out, sodium or a combo of both! I would suggest to pick one day during the week that your weight "counts". I weigh daily but only my Saturday weight "counts" in terms of going on here to track while I track my daily weight on another app to watch the trends over time. Just a thought.
  • evivahealth
    evivahealth Posts: 567 Member
    You body doesn't lose weight based on what you do on one given day. You might look at your diary/weight loss every single day but your body doesn't. The scale doesn't reward you or punish you based on what you did yesterday - it takes WEEKS/MONTHS to see the true results of what you're doing.

There are lots of things that affect the number on the scale from day to day that have nothing to do with how many calories you ate/expended. Hormones, water retention, sodium/carb intake.

I know some people find focus by weighing in every day, but often those same people also find it the greatest discouragement when the number doesn't go down. Try deriving your motivation from other places and not the number on the scale - go check out the NSV (non-scale victory) section of this forum and see what amazing things other people are achieving that have nothing to do with the scale!!
  • holly_roman
    holly_roman Posts: 116 Member
    Hi, hopefully this will make you feel better. I 'gained' 5lbs in one week. I didn't truly because I kept under my calorie goal but I started exercising and had my ToM but I stepped on the scale today and 5lbs heavier then last week Monday. It will fluctuate, don't worry about it. Keep up the good work.
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Ha! Some days I'll jump on the scale in the morning, and GO UP 8 LBS.

PMS bloat is *not* my friend. :s

On those days, I hit the water hard, and try to drink 1.5 - 2 gallons to help start flushing, and really limit the sodium when I can. Sometimes my body doesn't let it all go for up to 10 days. Stick with it, but don't starve yourself, drink lots of h20, and it will keep going down.