Water water everywhere...

Options
Just wondered how to manage 8 cups of water everyday, i already drink 3-4 cups of tea, if i was to try and drink 8 cups of water too, i'd be swimming in it.
So my question is does it have to be water, or is 8 cups of any 'liquid' ok???

Replies

• CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Count tea as water, but keep in mind that if it is caffeinated, it will make you pee out more of what you drink. I go for six cups of water and assume I get the rest in all the tea/coffee/etc I drink.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Keeping in mind that 8 cups is a suggestion... If you really aren't thirsty, don't drink, and if you are thirsty after eight cups drink more.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    The old '8 cups' adage is flawed and didn't take into consideration the amount of water in the foods we consume etc. Better off doing the wee test - google "urine hydration chart". if you're wee is the right colour, you're fine.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Any liquid counts towards your water total. I really don't count other liquids for my water requirement, except for tea - I count that in my 64 additional ounces of fluid per day that I drink every day. I drink that much water not to lose weight, or to keep hunger at bay (which doesn't work for me), but because I just require lots of fluids to keep the plumbing happy, especially with the extra fiber I've added to my diet since joining MFP. :smile:
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    The old '8 cups' adage is flawed and didn't take into consideration the amount of water in the foods we consume etc. Better off doing the wee test - google "urine hydration chart". if you're wee is the right colour, you're fine.

^^ This. She speaketh the truth.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Count tea as water, but keep in mind that if it is caffeinated, it will make you pee out more of what you drink. I go for six cups of water and assume I get the rest in all the tea/coffee/etc I drink.

You actually have to consume a lot in order for the dieurtic effect to offset the liquid intake. If you have a couple of cups a day, you should be fine.

This.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Nope.

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12187618
    ...caffeine consumption stimulates a mild diuresis similar to water, but there is no evidence of a fluid-electrolyte imbalance that is detrimental to exercise performance or health. Investigations comparing caffeine (100-680 mg) to water or placebo seldom found a statistical difference in urine volume. In the 10 studies reviewed, consumption of a CB resulted in 0-84% retention of the initial volume ingested, whereas consumption of water resulted in 0-81% retention.

^ This. 8 cups may be more than enough for some people, but it may also be woefully inadequate for others. For example, a sedentary office worker in a climate-controlled building will have different hydration needs than a construction worker outside on a hot, humid day. If your urine is a pale/straw color, you're adequately hydrated.
  • Ginger7658
    Ginger7658 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Great answers thank you (I only drink decaf )
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Here is one of many articles debunking the 8-glass advice from a reasonably good source.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/07/really-the-claim-drink-eight-glasses-of-water-a-day-to-protect-the-kidneys/

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    As long as your urine is not cloudy or brownish, you are A-ok.
    You should be able to see a pretend newspaper at the bottom of the toilet.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I drink around 8 cups of tea with milk everyday, sometimes more, plus 2ish Litres of water. I have to pee every 30 minutes or so. Mines the perfect colour according to the wee chart.
  • Ginger7658
    Ginger7658 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks all useful replies
  • scottish_laura_13
    scottish_laura_13 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    why not use a water bottle with your daily intake other than tea to encourage you to drink it?
    I drink 6-8litres of water every day (pure water not flavoured or mixed with tea etc) so 8 cups is way too little for me!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

this is about all you need regarding water.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Everyone's needs for water are different. I am always thirsty always have been that way. I have kidney issues so I drink anywhere between 80-104 oz a day. Recommended by drs and my thirst. I don't drink anything else though anymore. Just plain water.