Need low sodium, low fat, high fiber, high protein recipes. NutriSystem --> Real Life

Options
Itchula
Itchula Posts: 40 Member
I'm on NutriSystem now and I'm going to get a third month before I start the step down process. (If NS is not for you, that's fine. It is right for me and my needs. Let's all support each other and applaud those who have accepted certain things about themselves). I lost 13lbs in the first month and change. I'm 7lbs away from my first goal and 37lbs away from my ultimate goal, but NutriSystem is $$! I need ready-to-go and frozen meals. It's just reality. I know I SHOULD, but I won't. I'm looking up foods that are like NutriSystem's, but cheaper. I might make some egg sandwiches and omelets and freeze them. Has anyone tried that? I know I can sub NS's ice cream sandwiches for Skinny Cow. I want to try to make pancakes with extra protein and fiber. Has anyone come across a NutriSystem to real-life converter or recipe book? How about products? NS has some pretty good snacks and desserts.

Replies

• ajernbsn
    ajernbsn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great question! I would love to know this as well! I love the convenience of NS and it works for me also; but I agree, it is pricey. Anxious to see what other NS followers have found on this.
  • Itchula
    Options
    Yeah, and the frozen foods are way better than the ready-to-go options, but I share a freezer (an NYC apartment freezer) with another person. I'm owning the freezer right now.
  • Itchula
    Options
    Today I made the BF eggs for dinner, so even though there isn't a flex breakfast, I made my own sandwich. One egg (I would have done whites, but I only had one egg left after I made his omelet) with chopped Swiss chard + slice of tomato + 1 oz. Cabot extra light cheddar (75% fat free) + Arnold sandwich thin (multi-grain). One egg was perfect for the bun. According to NuMi, 242 calories. Not a bad breakfast! (PF + PF + V + V + SC) I'm going to make it again and freeze a few to see how they "come back to life" in the microwave. I need convenience foods, but I'm not always consistent with the prep work and having foods ready for the week.

I'm also on the hunt for tofu pepperoni. I checked two stores by me. Closest I got was tofu bologna. :-/
  • VansBel374
    VansBel374 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I buy the Weight Watchers ice cream. They have so many different kinds it's awesome. Not sure if they're better for your needs than Skinny Cow.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
  • Itchula
    Options
    Thanks!

Checking out that website now!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are ready to branch out with cooking? Home cooking a great way to eat more healthily, you can't really go wrong. You can make meals ahead and freeze for convenience (lots of guides on meal prep online). Don't feel restricted to stick to one certain kind of food or philosophy; there's a whole world out there :)
  • Itchula
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are ready to branch out with cooking? Home cooking a great way to eat more healthily, you can't really go wrong. You can make meals ahead and freeze for convenience (lots of guides on meal prep online). Don't feel restricted to stick to one certain kind of food or philosophy; there's a whole world out there :)

I'm a nerd, so I'm actually doing my research. haha I've gotten some recipes and ideas. I like the NS food, but I'm getting a little tired of the same rotation of things (the meal times and snacks - I eat all the time). I need more variety in my diet. And I need how to learn how to cook with more protein and fiber... so snacks aren't off limits!

I'm trying to learn how to have a better relationship with food and balance enjoyment with health and portion control. I need to be good to my body.

BUT YES - I LOVE COOKING! I can't wait to experiment with new things!
  • Itchula
    Options
    ajernbsn wrote: »
    Great question! I would love to know this as well! I love the convenience of NS and it works for me also; but I agree, it is pricey. Anxious to see what other NS followers have found on this.

Once I finalize my first few recipes in my collection, I'll share! :smile:

• Itchula
    Options
    VansBel374 wrote: »
    I buy the Weight Watchers ice cream. They have so many different kinds it's awesome. Not sure if they're better for your needs than Skinny Cow.

I'll look into those. I only looked at Skinny Cow vanilla. Weight Watchers has some good stuff too!
  • Itchula
    Options
    Food Calorie Counts
    Carb 1
    20 calories or less, but try to stay around 90-100 cals if possible
    Fat
    approx 40 calories per serving
    Fruit
    approx 60 calories per serving
    Dairy or Protein
    at least 7g of protein, 3g or less of fat, and 100 calories or less per serving
    Vegetable
    approx 20 cal/svg -- 1/2 cup cooked to 1 cup raw -- minimum of 2 servings/day
    Free Food
    20 calories or less... You can add 2-3 free foods to your meal plan
  • Itchula
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

That website is a nice place to start. Some of the grocery store comparisons aren't really great, but I'd eventually like to get myself away from processed foods again. As it is, I'm eating fat free cheese... like, that's just weird.
  • Itchula
    Options
    For anyone else who was looking for the info I was:

NS Breakfast Entree = 1 Protein + 1 Carb (about 110-160 calories)
    Total Breakfast Should Include: 1 protein + 1 fruit + 1 carb + 1 dairy
    Try here to find a good cereal: http://greatist.com/health/best-healthy-cereal-brands

NS Lunch Entree = 1-2 proteins + 1 carb (about 160-180 calories)
    Total Lunch Should Include: 1-2 proteins + 1 salad + 1 carb + 1 dairy/protein

Total Dinner Should Include: 3-4 proteins + 2 veg + 1 fat + 1 carb + 1 salad

Snack Should Include: 1-2 proteins + 1 carb

Dessert Should Include: 1 dairy + 1 fruit

That's a fair guide to start. I'm more about the frozen fudge (protein) bar or the salt and vinegar multi-grain NS chips for the last snack though! I'm noting the nutritional info on the foods I like and I'm comparing online. That's how I found the cereal. I don't ever eat cereal, but the high fiber/high protein options look good (and some of them have a 1 cup serving size).

Like I said, I'm starting to feel a serious need for variety. I'm getting bored of eating.