Anyone gain weight after a traumatic event?

Options
I had a bad car accident about four months ago and my symptoms have been complex, and my injuries have prevented me from getting much exercise, while boredom led to overeating for entertainment. I am not yet well, but I am ready to make dietary changes so I don't make myself even more unwell.

Is there anyone else here who experienced weight gain after some traumatic event, and has realized that it's time to do something about it? Maybe we can support each other?

Replies

• My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Last year I was going out and running everyday during the summer in the cemetery near my house. That all stopped after a car followed me in and I was jumped by the driver. I went to the hospital for stitches on my face and in my arm.

I went out a few times for a run afterwards just to prove I wasn't scared, but a relapse with my ED happened and then I gained weight.

I'm actually back on the fitness train and I'm not far from my goal weight again.
    But it is a tough nut to crack.
  • Razzyirt
    Razzyirt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I feel yah! I was in a car accident 3 years ago. I ended up having to have several surgeries on my back, and then 1.5 years of physio. I gained a good chunk of weight (between being bed ridden for months, depressed as hell, bored out of my mind...you name it!)

It has been a very long road....but I'm finally at the point where I can start working towards being healthy again. I'm now about 2 months in, and approx. 7 lbs down, and so excited that I'm finally doing this :smiley:

Feel free to add me if you like, it's always nice to have some extra support!
  • JMLSZ
    JMLSZ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, Razzyirt, that sounds like a bad accident. For now they are saying no surgery, and I am waiting to get into a rehab hospital for inpatient physical therapy.
    That's fantastic that you dropped 7 lbs! What kind of exercise are you able to do that works for you?
  • JMLSZ
    Options
    Oh no, My_B (sorry, I can't bring myself to write that out!) What happened to you is terrible. Congratulations for getting back on the fitness train now! Are you running again, or something else?

• tinaalvarado29
    tinaalvarado29 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The last two years of my life has been very sad and emotional for me 2 years ago I lost my only sister she was 43 I would cry and eat I'm an emotional eater then 5 months ago I lost my only brother who was also 43 at the time of his passing I am now the only child left and I'm the oldest I was supposed to go before them but I now know that life doesn't work the way you think it should I have gained weight and now finally I'm trying to do something about it I even have started losing my hair so dr did all kinds of test but everthing ok he told me it is stress and from crying everyday I try but it's hard but at least now I have addressed my weight promplem and am trying lose some weight has for my sadness that will be with be the rest of my life but the weight doesn't have to be lol
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    JMLSZ wrote: »
    Oh no, My_B (sorry, I can't bring myself to write that out!) What happened to you is terrible. Congratulations for getting back on the fitness train now! Are you running again, or something else?

It's cold out now so I've been doing Body Beast, Asylum, yoga 2x a day and a push-up challenge.
  • JMLSZ
    Options
    The last two years of my life has been very sad and emotional for me 2 years ago I lost my only sister she was 43 I would cry and eat I'm an emotional eater then 5 months ago I lost my only brother who was also 43 at the time of his passing I am now the only child left and I'm the oldest I was supposed to go before them but I now know that life doesn't work the way you think it should I have gained weight and now finally I'm trying to do something about it I even have started losing my hair so dr did all kinds of test but everthing ok he told me it is stress and from crying everyday I try but it's hard but at least now I have addressed my weight promplem and am trying lose some weight has for my sadness that will be with be the rest of my life but the weight doesn't have to be lol

Tina, I'm so sorry for your losses. I say good for you for addressing a problem that you can do something about (there are so many things in life we can't do anything about...)
  • JMLSZ
    Options
    My_Butt wrote: »

It's cold out now so I've been doing Body Beast, Asylum, yoga 2x a day and a push-up challenge.

Wow, you're very active then! Good for you!!
  • Jadedlily83
    Jadedlily83 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had a bad car accident about four months ago and my symptoms have been complex, and my injuries have prevented me from getting much exercise, while boredom led to overeating for entertainment. I am not yet well, but I am ready to make dietary changes so I don't make myself even more unwell.

Is there anyone else here who experienced weight gain after some traumatic event, and has realized that it's time to do something about it? Maybe we can support each other?

My entire life ( not kidding) has been a series of traumatic events, one of the latest being almost (deliberately) run over by a family member along with the kids. I'm finally breaking through the last of my depression and I'm ready to make some changes. Add me, I'm open to all friends request
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Yes, my weight gain was the result of an accident that led to many surgeries. I recently (after 3 years being on here) told my story on my personal feed. My profile is open so you are welcome to go find it and read it. I am always happy to friend new support buddies.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I didn't experience the emotional trauma of an accident, but I had surgery about 6 weeks ago that caused me a lot of physical trauma.

I think it's perfectly normal to gain weight after trauma. I gained 12 scale pounds while I was in the hospital. Stress hormones alone can really mess with the system, and when you're trying to heal, the body is under a lot of stress. I also believe there is a water weight factor. I was finally given the thumbs up to get back to exercising two weeks ago. I think that was the catalyst to a water shedding event, because I experienced a day or two of constant bathroom runs and lost five pounds, literally, overnight. I'm guessing an excessive water store was responsible for a good portion of that 12 lb gain.

For the record, I'm not discounting the effects of emotional trauma either. When I lost a family member, I plateaued for almost three months, despite being spot on nutritionally the entire time. When I started really working through my grief, I started losing again.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    My mother passed away four years ago on 2/12. I gained 70 pounds after taking care of her, not taking care of myself, going off of my meds for my autoimmune disease and subsequently having to go on twice the meds, which cause gains, and just depression-eating after she was gone. This was four years ago and only now am I finally starting to actually get in control.
  • ingehooper15
    ingehooper15 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    yep. Im 24 mum to 2 boys. Iv had 2 miscarriages this year. One was a "blighted Ovum undetected until 12 weeks, then a loss very early at around 5 weeks pregnant. Then my mum died unexpectedly (accident at home due to epilepsy) she was only 51. So I didnt care about eating properly. I would eat a healthy diet during the day but then I would eat a family size bag of crisps or chocolates/sweets for a "pick me up" when I would feel low in the evening. Now im 21 weeks pregnant with a baby girl and life is good. Yes my bmi is still high (33) but im eating better and feel better. I gained about 20-28lbs during 2015 with all its downs
  • JMLSZ
    Options

My entire life ( not kidding) has been a series of traumatic events, one of the latest being almost (deliberately) run over by a family member along with the kids. I'm finally breaking through the last of my depression and I'm ready to make some changes. Add me, I'm open to all friends request

Oh no, I'm so sorry. Good for you for making some changes. I'll add you, thanks!
  • JMLSZ
    Options
    Yes, my weight gain was the result of an accident that led to many surgeries. I recently (after 3 years being on here) told my story on my personal feed. My profile is open so you are welcome to go find it and read it. I am always happy to friend new support buddies.

Wow, you have been through a lot. I would love to keep in touch with you because I now have issues with my joints, too. Thanks for sharing.
  • JMLSZ
    Options
    I didn't experience the emotional trauma of an accident, but I had surgery about 6 weeks ago that caused me a lot of physical trauma.

I think it's perfectly normal to gain weight after trauma. I gained 12 scale pounds while I was in the hospital. Stress hormones alone can really mess with the system, and when you're trying to heal, the body is under a lot of stress. I also believe there is a water weight factor. I was finally given the thumbs up to get back to exercising two weeks ago. I think that was the catalyst to a water shedding event, because I experienced a day or two of constant bathroom runs and lost five pounds, literally, overnight. I'm guessing an excessive water store was responsible for a good portion of that 12 lb gain.

For the record, I'm not discounting the effects of emotional trauma either. When I lost a family member, I plateaued for almost three months, despite being spot on nutritionally the entire time. When I started really working through my grief, I started losing again.

Yes, for sure about the stress hormones. I think accidents are so bad because you have all different kinds of trauma at the same time, and have to try to rebuild physically without much emotional strength, and emotionally without much physical strength...not easy.

Are you doing physical therapy now, or are you allowed to do any kind of exercise as you normally would?
  • JMLSZ
    Options
    My mother passed away four years ago on 2/12. I gained 70 pounds after taking care of her, not taking care of myself, going off of my meds for my autoimmune disease and subsequently having to go on twice the meds, which cause gains, and just depression-eating after she was gone. This was four years ago and only now am I finally starting to actually get in control.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so hard to focus on yourself when someone else needs so much from you. Good for you for starting to get in control now!
  • JMLSZ
    Options
    yep. Im 24 mum to 2 boys. Iv had 2 miscarriages this year. One was a "blighted Ovum undetected until 12 weeks, then a loss very early at around 5 weeks pregnant. Then my mum died unexpectedly (accident at home due to epilepsy) she was only 51. So I didnt care about eating properly. I would eat a healthy diet during the day but then I would eat a family size bag of crisps or chocolates/sweets for a "pick me up" when I would feel low in the evening. Now im 21 weeks pregnant with a baby girl and life is good. Yes my bmi is still high (33) but im eating better and feel better. I gained about 20-28lbs during 2015 with all its downs

I'm so sorry for your loss. I also lost my Mum suddenly when she was 51. That was a lot for you to have happen in one year.
    How wonderful that after all that, you've been blessed with another pregnancy. Does BMI even count when you're pregnant? I don't think so. If you know you're eating better and are feeling better, good for you!!
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options

Yes, for sure about the stress hormones. I think accidents are so bad because you have all different kinds of trauma at the same time, and have to try to rebuild physically without much emotional strength, and emotionally without much physical strength...not easy.

Are you doing physical therapy now, or are you allowed to do any kind of exercise as you normally would?

I'm allowed to do anything that doesn't put undue stress on my abdomen (I have another month on that). So, cardio of any sort, arms, legs, and very light core workouts. My trainer has me on a "step up" program until I get back up to speed, which is awesome. I should be back to my old routine in a couple of months.

I posted on my MFP newsfeed about it because I was so frustrated about the set back. The response from everyone was overwhelmingly: "GIVE YOURSELF TIME" and "DON'T BE SO HARD ON YOURSELF". In retrospect, that was the best advice they could've offered.
  • redhdwarrior
    redhdwarrior Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you were involved in an accident and are suffering from it. You are not alone, trauma of any kind does serious damage to you physically and psychologically. Take the time you need to focus on yourself and rebuild your strength and endurance. Be kind and have patience with yourself as you work towards your goals. I know i have to remind myself daily that patience, persistence and being gentle with myself are necessary to succeed. I gained 30lbs over the past year as I battled and beat breast cancer and a terribly abusive relationship at the same time. With the support of loving family and friends anything is possible! Best wishes on a full recovery and absolutely CRUSHING all of the goals you set for yourself!!!!!!