Calorie intake...I know, I know!

I know this is a hot topic, but I'm having a hard time eating 2,200 calories the MFP suggested for me. Can I lower that to 1500, or even 2000, and not feel like I'm cheating the system?

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    You can.

How much weight do you have to lose? How is it hard eating to your calorie goal?
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    You could but I wouldn't.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Have you eliminated too many calorie dense foods from your diet?
  • joybenyah
    joybenyah Posts: 20 Member
    @janejellyroll I'm not sure. I may just not be eating enough, but I get full quick so I stop eating. I do lean meats, vegetables and brown rice. I'm working on my snacks.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    joybenyah wrote: »
    @janejellyroll I'm not sure. I may just not be eating enough, but I get full quick so I stop eating. I do lean meats, vegetables and brown rice. I'm working on my snacks.

Are you getting enough fat?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    are you POSITIVE you are weighing your food accurately? ALL OF IT?
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    My thoughts exactly. If you've jumped on the "I'm not going eat anything besides salads and chicken breasts" bandwagon, that will get old really quick. Can't say much else without more information.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I know this is a hot topic, but I'm having a hard time eating 2,200 calories the MFP suggested for me. Can I lower that to 1500, or even 2000, and not feel like I'm cheating the system?

Probably. What are your stats, what did you tell MFP about your goals, and what do you put in for activity level and exercise?
  • joybenyah
    @strong_curves , my goal is 39 pounds
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    My thoughts exactly. If you've jumped on the "I'm not going eat anything besides salads and chicken breasts" bandwagon, that will get old really quick. Can't say much else without more information.

I totally agree.

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    If you're having a hard time eating 2200 calories, how did you end up in a position where you felt you needed to lose weight? One does not gain weight eating 1500-2000 calories per day.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Are you currently losing weight? If so, how much have you been eating? How many pounds per week have you been losing?
  • joybenyah
    @lemurcat12, MFP said 2200 cal, 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat. My activity level is gym 5 days a week, one hour. Rest days are Wednesdays and Sundays.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    OP, are you using a food scale?

And how long have you been logging? How much are you losing per week?
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    If you're having a hard time eating 2200 calories, how did you end up in a position where you felt you needed to lose weight? One does not gain weight eating 1500-2000 calories per day.

That's not true at all. My maintenance is 1800 cals and I'm not even down to goal weight yet. I can definitely gain weight eating 2,000 cals a day. (Substantially, if given enough time)

OP, it's different for everyone, which is why people are asking for stats. If you're taller and/or heavier, you should definitely keep that intake high. If you're shorter and/or lighter, you might need to drop it a little.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    @lemurcat12, MFP said 2200 cal, 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat. My activity level is gym 5 days a week, one hour. Rest days are Wednesdays and Sundays.

Did you ask for 1 lb/week or what? If you did, I think it's fine to go under. If you said 2 lbs, I'd be less comfortable with it. Also, are you adding exercise calories to the goal and what did you say your activity level was (in other words, did you give it a higher activity level, like "active" and if so were you including exercise in your estimate).

2000 or even 1800 sound plenty high to me, for most, but if you are very tall you might have reason to eat more.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    edited February 2016
    I'm 6'2", 275 lbs and in my goals I selected sedentary lifestyle because I have a desk job. I do, however, walk a mile loop a couple times a day and go to the gym 5 days a week. I add those workouts to my daily exercise logs whereas I wouldn't if I selected a more active lifestyle. My recommended calories per day is 1690.

I don't know your height and weight but maybe you should re-evaluate what you entered in your goals. Seems to me that 2200 is a bit much to recommend unless it is including workouts. At least on your off days I don't think you'd want to eat nearly that much.

And as others have said, make sure you don't miss a single crumb when entering into your diary. Supplements like fish oil have calories. That bit of butter you add has calories. Your drink? Stick of gum? It seems to me, especially in the beginning, the more I go over my list the more I catch that I had missed.
  • joybenyah
    @LyndseyLovesToLift 2200 calories is a lot when you are actually taking the time to log everything. I'm this position because of the types of calories I was eating and how I cook. That should be a "duh"! I'm not a gym head that does protein shakes or take things to help build muscle. I know I have to burn fat first. Don't be critical and not think of other factors.
  • joybenyah
    @kimny72 , I have not been logging long, at all. This is just a shock that I'm not eating as much as I thought. So I asked the question because I do get full quick off the little I eat.
  • joybenyah
    @lemurcat12 I said 1lb/wk, and I'm average height. Thank you so much for the advice!