How to recover after a terrible weekend

Options
so I been doing good and making all the right choices but this past weekend I just completely feel off the wagon Friday night through sunday .

Late night eating too and no exercise. im a person where I let my nerves get the best of me and I eat for comfort as bad as that sounds.

all fried and and lots of carbs and diet soda all weekend I usually stay away from diet in all .

So my question how do yall recover after the damage has been done.

I jumped on the scale this mourning and it has gone up 3 to make things worst lol .

Replies

• shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything to make up for the weekend!

Start today as if nothing happened. You can't beat yourself up over bad decisions. It won't help. If you want to be in this for the long run, you have to accept the fact that we're not perfect. New day, new logging.

About the 3 pounds, you'll see a couple of them come off this week.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    shmulyeng wrote: »

Start today as if nothing happened. You can't beat yourself up over bad decisions. It won't help. If you want to be in this for the long run, you have to accept the fact that we're not perfect. New day, new logging.

Listen to this wisdom. What's done is done. "Go and sin no more", as it were.

• lniblack812
    lniblack812 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    No need to beat yourself up over overindulging!! Just get back on track today & it'll be all good. Take it meal by meal :) No need to reduce calories drastically today or go overboard with exercise.. the weight gain is water retention & will work itself out. I'm a bloated mess from this weekend, but I am just going to drink lots of water & tea, maybe go on a walk during my lunch break... I'll be feeling like my usual self tomorrow morning as long as I get back on track today.
  • gwild0r
    gwild0r Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    you only gained 3 lbs because you probably had salty food and are retaining water.. unless you ate 10,000 calories. i don't think you gained 3lbs over the weekend..
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    shmulyeng wrote: »

This exactly.
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Log it, move on, and stay away from the scale for a week or two. You'll be fine. When you're trying to lose weight, you have to have a short memory as far as failures.
  • jcramer10
    jcramer10 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard not to get discouraged, but just try to put it out of your mind and move on. Start today fresh and get back on track. Drink lots of water and stick to your plan :) Don't beat yourself up! Hang in there!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    so I been doing good and making all the right choices but this past weekend I just completely feel off the wagon Friday night through sunday .

Late night eating too and no exercise. im a person where I let my nerves get the best of me and I eat for comfort as bad as that sounds.

all fried and and lots of carbs and diet soda all weekend I usually stay away from diet in all .

I jumped on the scale this mourning and it has gone up 3 to make things worst lol .

Late night eating and diet soda don't contribute to your weight loss. Fried foods and carbs don't matter either. It's the total calorie count that matters. Just start doing what you know you need to do.
  • mikejdeleon85
    mikejdeleon85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    thanks will keep all this in mind motivation at its finest thanks all
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

You don't do anything...life is going to be full of days and weekends like this...holidays, special occasions, random neighborhood BBQs, etc. What's important is what you're doing most of the time...cutting lose now and then in pretty irrelevant to the bigger picture.

As far as going up 3 Lbs, that's water and waste...to actually have put on 3 Lbs of fat you would have had to eat 10,500 calories over your maintenance calories for the weekend...for me that would be about 6,300 calories for three days straight.

You consumed more than normal...and probably more sodium...this equals water retention. You also consumed more than normal so you have more inherent waste in your system.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My weekends are always bad. I don't do anything to recover. Just go back to making better choices and continue exercising. Pretty simple and I don't beat myself up about it.
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Don't fret. It's just a weekend. :smile:
    We don't realise it but do you know how much you actually have to eat EXTRA on top your daily calorie maintenance to truly gain a real kilo and not water weight?
    Get back to healthful eating, smile and think back on how you enjoyed that one time as you might as well not beat yourself up over overeating if it's not going to be enjoyable, and you'll see the water weight just go.
    I've just returned from travelling for a few weeks and thought I would gain 5kg. I had made concessions for a 5kg gain anyway mentally and was looking forward to some good healthy eating.
    In reality it was less than 2kg when I returned to weigh myself after adding the weekend off I took to celebrate an occasion (included double stack pancakes with baileys mascapone, dark chocolate and maple syrup after dinner).
    I discovered it was mostly water weight as my weight just dropped by the end of a week's back-to-healthy eating - I made very sure to try to not mentally torture myself about weight gain because ultimately...this is a lifestyle change not a short term thing so I will eat healthily 90% of the time and allow myself a 10% buffer to enjoy occasionally.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Everyone's right. Log it, learn from it, and move on. Everyone makes mistakes; that's normal. Learn to forgive yourself when you make a mistake and get back on track.

And besides, the occasional night/weekend off is fine. You're better off not worrying about food for special occasions because if you do, you'll spend your whole time worrying and no time enjoying the celebration. Remember, you're not on a diet, you're in the process of changing your eating habits. Do you really want to go the rest of your life not having special meals just because they're high in calories? I sure as hell wouldn't! Practice moderation where you can, get some extra exercise in when possible, and don't stress about it. One night or weekend isn't going to sabotage you unless you let it.