Don't laugh, but I'm alittle confused about OATMEAL......

I'm trying to get my cholesterol down and have read such wonderful stories of people eating oatmeal everyday and getting their chol down. Yes, I do realize oatmeal isn't magical and they didn't get their chol down with oatmeal alone. So, my confusion comes from the fact that my oatmeal only has 2 grams of soluble fiber and only 2 grams of insoluble fiber. That just doesn't seem like alot of fiber to be touted as a magnificent fiber source. Also, it says dietary fiber is 4 grams, is that the total of the two fibers or is there another type of fiber called dietary fiber? Sorry, if this is a stupid question, but I need to know. Thanks in advance :wink:

Replies

• Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    p.s..................can yall only see the top of my head? I don't get why it's just showing the top of my head lol
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Depends on the oats you're eating I suppose. Steel cut oats tend to have more fiber (and iron) than processed rolled oats. You're right, 4 grams isn't much. An avocado has 13g of carbs with 10 of those being fiber.

And yes, I only see the top of your head :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    p.s..................can yall only see the top of my head? I don't get why it's just showing the top of my head lol

yes. it's a nice head.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Depends on the oats you're eating I suppose. Steel cut oats tend to have more fiber (and iron) than processed rolled oats. You're right, 4 grams isn't much. An avocado has 13g of carbs with 10 of those being fiber.

And yes, I only see the top of your head :)

lol, well crap. i'll have to try and fix the pic b/c it looks like i'm hiding. Well, I looked at the steel cut oats and they had like one gram less of one of the fibers and 1 gram more of protein, so I opted for the higher fiber one which isn't high at all. I wonder if I'm gonna have to go to a higher end grocery store for the better oatmeal. I bought mine at walmart. I hope I don't have to a nutrition store.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Yes, I don't consider oatmeal to be a great fiber source either.

I've been eating this bread with my eggs in the morning along with some kohlrabi. That gives me 14-16 grams of fiber first thing. Then at lunch I eat an avocado with my lunch for another 10 grams of fiber. By supper I'm at or very close to my fiber goal so once I add a bit more veg, I'm good.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Sandy, I am certainly no expert. I wouldn't get too hung up on it. I honestly changed my cholesterol numbers only after I lost 45 lbs. For me it wasn't so much a function of what I ate as it was the actual weight loss/exercise I began to put in.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Oats are an excellent source of soluble fiber which is far more difficult to come by than insoluble (but you also don't need as much)...the soluble fiber is what helps with the cholesterol. Most veggies, breads, etc are chalk full of insoluble fiber.

Apples and other fruits high in pectin are also good sources of soluble fiber.
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    When I was trying to Mine from 275 ,I ate it about 5 days a week and an apple every day, But I also cut my colesteral down to 100 mg or less. and started walking a mile 5 days a week.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,481 Member

@Sandytoes71 try cropping your picture so it's not as tall. That should solve your problem.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2016
    As little as 3 grams of soluble fiber can help lower cholesterol, but more is better in that regard. If you add other sources like barley, lentils, beans, apples..etc you will be able to get more than 3. If you have access to purple passion fruit, that's an excellent source.

Exercise is also great for your cholesterol numbers, and as you lose weight you will notice further improvement simply due to weight loss.
  • Sandytoes71
    7lenny7 wrote: »

@Sandytoes71 try cropping your picture so it's not as tall. That should solve your problem.

I will try that, but it shows perfect on my wall and when I comment on friend's posts everywhere but the forums. lol I'm gonna work on it bc it's bugging me.
  • Sandytoes71
    As little as 3 grams of soluble fiber can help lower cholesterol, but more is better in that regard. If you add other sources like barley, lentils, beans, apples..etc you will be able to get more than 3. If you have access to purple passion fruit, that's an excellent source.

Exercise is also great for your cholesterol numbers, and as you lose weight you will notice further improvement simply due to weight loss.

Good advice as usual from you, thank you. I try to eat a banana with my oatmeal, does a banana have soluble fiber?
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandy, I am certainly no expert. I wouldn't get too hung up on it. I honestly changed my cholesterol numbers only after I lost 45 lbs. For me it wasn't so much a function of what I ate as it was the actual weight loss/exercise I began to put in.

yes, this is what Ive been hearing as well. Thank you!!
  • amusedmonkey
    edited February 2016

Good advice as usual from you, thank you. I try to eat a banana with my oatmeal, does a banana have soluble fiber?

I doubt it does, and if it does it's possibly not enough to matter.
    I used to be pre-diabetic so this was a topic of interest to me.
    Check this list:
    http://www.dietitians.ca/Downloads/Factsheets/Food-Sources-of-Soluble-Fibre.aspx
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

about 1 gram for a medium banana.

also, I'll leave this here...

http://www.webmd.com/diet/compare-dietary-fibers
  • amusedmonkey
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

about 1 gram for a medium banana.

also, I'll leave this here...

http://www.webmd.com/diet/compare-dietary-fibers

I stand corrected. It appears to have 1 gram of it.