Cream Substitute?

Options
Wondering if anyone has a good low calorie substitute for cream in coffee. Hate to use so many calories for a cup of creamed coffee!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Milk, or reduced fat milk.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Powdered milk.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Cream in coffee just isn't a thing over here, it's always just milk...
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I refused to give up my cream and sugar in my coffee for a very, very long time. I made lots of other substitutions in my day. Eventually when i started cutting down on my cream and sugar, i realized i don't really like coffee unless its mostly cream and sugar. I switched to drinking tea with milk and sugar. Now i can have 3 giant cups of tea a day vs 1 medium coffee. (And as a treat occasionally i'll eat coffee flavored ice cream, chocolates ect)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I use a splash of 2% or whole milk. Less than 40 cals for a travel mug of lightened coffee (I use about 1/4 cup of milk per mugful coffee). Otherwise, if I'm at a restaurant, the single serve half and halfs (1 fl. oz.) are 40 cals each.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I use 2%
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I drink mainly black coffee, about 10 to 14 cups a day.
    But in the evening i have a nice homemade Starbucks Which can have Almond milk in it. Or hazelnut etc

And sometimes i make with protein powder a kinda cream mixture and use that over the day in my coffee. Vanilla, cookie dough and Chocolate mousse are great tasts to make a cream off :)

95069916.png
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    You might also consider some of the unsweetened nut milks like almond milk or cashew milk.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You need to read up on Bulletproof coffee!!! )
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Reduced cal coffeemate.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I use a splash of 2% or whole milk. Less than 40 cals for a travel mug of lightened coffee (I use about 1/4 cup of milk per mugful coffee). Otherwise, if I'm at a restaurant, the single serve half and halfs (1 fl. oz.) are 40 cals each.

Actually, those little single-serve half-and-half containers you get in a restaurant are typically only a half ounce (19 calories) -- in the U.S., anyway. So you can have two, or save the extra 20 calories for something else :smile:
  • williams969
    Options

Actually, those little single-serve half-and-half containers you get in a restaurant are typically only a half ounce (19 calories) -- in the U.S., anyway. So you can have two, or save the extra 20 calories for something else :smile:

Oh, yes, thanks for correcting. I haven't used them since leaving uni last year. It's been a while, lol. Still a low calorie option; at least a portion controlled one if we need a couple or three :)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I refused to give up my cream and sugar in my coffee for a very, very long time. I made lots of other substitutions in my day. Eventually when i started cutting down on my cream and sugar, i realized i don't really like coffee unless its mostly cream and sugar. I switched to drinking tea with milk and sugar. Now i can have 3 giant cups of tea a day vs 1 medium coffee. (And as a treat occasionally i'll eat coffee flavored ice cream, chocolates ect)

This. I put cream in my tea, but i need MUCH less than i did in coffee.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    You might also consider some of the unsweetened nut milks like almond milk or cashew milk.

I second this. Some unsweetened plant milks give coffee a very creamy taste! It's also like 1/3 the calories.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Almond, soy or flax milk and splenda.
  • flutterphotogal503
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk...which I love. However, one serving of this instantaneously puts me over on my fats for the day. Any suggestions!
  • cdunlap1101
    cdunlap1101 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My morning coffee is one thing, I could not give up either, but the problem is I prefer to use a minimum of about 2 ounces of flavored sweetened creamer in it, which takes it up to about 140+ calories! Yikes! I had to get creative and have tried many things, but the thing I have settled on and that I think seems most comparable to what I like is that I use 1 ounce (2 tablespoons @ 15 cals each) of sugar free creamer (usually French vanilla) and 1 ounce of Walden Farms Sweet Cream that has 0 calories, then I add 4 tablespoons of fat free redi whip that has a total of 10 calories. So now for just 40 calories I get a cup of coffee that is sweet and creamy and seem indulgent the way I like it.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Coconut+almond milk yummy
  • williams969
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk...which I love. However, one serving of this instantaneously puts me over on my fats for the day. Any suggestions!

What is your fat goal? I thought unsweetened almond milk is around 40-60 cals per cup/240ml. That can't be much fat in that?