sick of being a fat chick, I want to be a fit chick!

Options
2»

Replies

• wannabefitchick3
    Options
    OMG, I cant believe all the responses! Thanks so much for taking the time. Honestly, I was not expecting so much help and advice - I don't know where to start. Yes, I am sitting down, yes I am still fat. I thought about it more and lifting weights sounds like it could be great for me, but honestly I'm a bit scared of going to a gym. I was raised in manila, and am very religious - so the idea of being around so many people who are not properly clothed is very embarrasing to me. Call me modest or old fashioned, but why do you have to wear what that woman in blue has on? My friend looks like that, and I think she looks a man.

I will be buying some small weight to do with an exercise video. I saw the jillian michale on sale on amazon. Is that a good one?

I'm going to start eating less also. I am thankful to have found this site. I love it already. Blessing to you all.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    OMG, I cant believe all the responses! Thanks so much for taking the time. Honestly, I was not expecting so much help and advice - I don't know where to start. Yes, I am sitting down, yes I am still fat. I thought about it more and lifting weights sounds like it could be great for me, but honestly I'm a bit scared of going to a gym. I was raised in manila, and am very religious - so the idea of being around so many people who are not properly clothed is very embarrasing to me. Call me modest or old fashioned, but why do you have to wear what that woman in blue has on? My friend looks like that, and I think she looks a man.

I will be buying some small weight to do with an exercise video. I saw the jillian michale on sale on amazon. Is that a good one?

I'm going to start eating less also. I am thankful to have found this site. I love it already. Blessing to you all.

If I'm not mistaken, Jillian Michaels has some free videos on YouTube if you search for "30 Day Shred". YouTube has lots of exercise videos online if you get bored with just one.

And you don't have to dress like those girls in the picture. :smile: I usually just work out in a t-shirt and capri yoga pant things.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    smis92103 wrote: »
    4vhfv3n9z6yt.jpg

Please check out the the following group in Facebook
    I am an iron addict Female Bodybuilding

There is a reason why girls on in the group (I am an iron addict Female Bodybuilding) has more muscle mass then both girls combined in the photo

Does it rhyme with swearoids?

I doubt it. they would have dq from their competition, which would defeat the purpose
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    smis92103 wrote: »
    4vhfv3n9z6yt.jpg

Please check out the the following group in Facebook
    I am an iron addict Female Bodybuilding

There is a reason why girls on in the group (I am an iron addict Female Bodybuilding) has more muscle mass then both girls combined in the photo

It's a closed group...nothing to see there.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    You don't have to necessarily eat leas you just need to eat healthier. Logging food in here will help you learn what food you can and can't eat a lot of. Best of luck to you, small steps, little by little, as long as you do not give up you will get to your goals.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Nobody at my gym wears a bikini unless they are at the pool. They'd get kicked out for breaking the rules. Most people just wear the usual fitness clothing
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options

Because of your cultural background, perhaps a women's-only gym like Curves, Get In Shape for Women, Lady of America would appeal to you.

Paging @ninerbuff because I think you are from the Philippines as well.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    She also is refusing to help me out until I get my butt in gear. I’ve given up before I started many times before - so maybe she’s thinking it may motivate me? Anyhow, what are some easy ways to get started? I want to show her what I can do on my own!

Huh? What? That does not sound like a very good friend to me - I challenge you to reevaluate that particular "friendship".

In any case - there are no "easy" fixes. Follow the MFP plan, eat what is recommended for you, cardio for a minimum of 45 minutes/6x per week. Weight training is significant in developing muscle that will burn fat, but cardio in the very beginning is key.

And good luck :)

• CindyS858
    CindyS858 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

What is properly clothed to you? Do you mean not showing a midriff or full arms, or are you referring to the women in the photos? Those women are in bathing suits, not workout attire. While many people wear less clothing than they would normally to the gym, most are not too revealing. It gets hot in there though! Working out at home sounds like a good start until you can figure out where you would feel comfortable.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Yeah, go for Jillian Michaels The 30 Day Shred, you'll love the results. You might even be spurred on to carry on lifting with heavier weights....whilst not looking like a man lol.

That's what happened to me.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I usually don't lift in a string bikini...and even if I did, I certainly wouldn't look like a man.

If you really want your friend's help, buy a couple of books (starting strength or all about powerlifting), buy a food scale and use it, be consistent. I suspect that your friend doesn't want to invest the time/effort if you aren't going to invest an equal amount of time/effort.
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    You can do it!
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Definitely won't look like a man unless you already look like one

True!
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    So I finally decided to do something. My friend is a competitive power lifter and recommended this site and bodybuilding.com to get on track. She said I’ll have to start eating differently and lifting weights. She is totally ripped, but I don’t think that I want to look like a man. She also is refusing to help me out until I get my butt in gear. I’ve given up before I started many times before - so maybe she’s thinking it may motivate me? Anyhow, what are some easy ways to get started? I want to show her what I can do on my own!
    I would be light weight insulted, you asked for help from a competitive power lifter then you go on to say she is ripped, but you don't want to look like a man, as if she looks like a man. Maybe you should seek assistance from a person that you wouldn't mind looking like, so you won't "look like a man". I don't blame her for refusing to help you.

• UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    One of the things that works for me is logging. It brings out my obsessive traits and I have actually stuck with a workout or meal plan just because I didn't want to break the streak in my log book.

The first thing you need to do is just start. Start moving. The main ingredient for success in this endeavor is consistency.